Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #48: Crisis Gameplay Video

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I do spot the markings of "trying too hard", so I don't think it can really be another Torment.

hia1cAn.png

I sure notice some familiar vibe with the one on the left. They didn't miss the right one either.

The team making Torment is pretty different from the guys who made WL2 and others. Also keep in mind, WL2 is pretty well liked on this site, looking at the polls.

Your sarcasm is unwarranted.

Have a good day.

A dozen of writers steering a single wheel, offers us the same stream of narrative lines PoE gifted us with.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The discussion seems a bit slow and bored. Maybe DU should unleash hiver.

:troll:

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
How many writers do they have? How many writers with big egos? We'll see how that turned out, with the qualities already showcased in this update we're getting a good idea.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
And um, you know, Planescape: Torment

Pillars of eternity managed to have more of these while having less dialogue than Torment. Wasn't there some sort of general consensus that an excess of them was not... good? From this update, are we led to believe that Numenera will have less than PoE?

Should I add a disclaimed to my post that I did consider that Planescape had those but, for now and what we know, apparently lesser quantity. Or would you still feel the need to score a cheap point.

Shin

Cipher
While I agree that an excess of anything isn't good, I'm pretty sure this is just gut feelings talking. If you got a writer/designer with a clear-cut vision and the leadership to keep the writers focused on this vision, I'd say you have a decent chance on writing a good VG story, no matter how many writers are involved with dialogue-related things. No clue how they exactly divide the writing workload between staff but it seems logical that they'd have some clear boundaries in terms of how much a 'low level' writer can influence the overall flow/direction of the story. Plus consider that PoE didn't have any pre-established lore... PST and TTON do.

tldr; too many variables to whine about too many writers rite now

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
It's just that so far it doesnt augur well.

Am I wrong? Is the current balance of narration and dialogue a good thing? Is their inability to simply convey so much of the substance of narration into the dialogue excusable?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Getting many famous writers to write a piece is like too many famous actors to play in a movie. It doesn't always work and often results in a bomb.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom