Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #48: Crisis Gameplay Video

Hellraiser

Arcane
HBvwOtT.jpg

I like what I see.

Shin

Cipher
I'm cautiously optimistic after viewing that trailer. It's kinda rough around the edges graphically, but I like what they're doing with the crisis system. And if it's totally shit it's at least on par with PS:T.

Caconym

Savant
Oh, I'm not very familiar with the worlds. The 9th world is some kind of cosmic garbage bin then?
There have been eight previous worlds. You may refer to them as ages, aeons, epochs, or eras, but it’s not wrong to think of each as its own individual world. Each former world stretched across vast millennia of time. Each played host to a race whose civilizations rose to supremacy but eventually died or scattered, disappeared or transcended. During the time that each world flourished, those that ruled it spoke to the stars, reengineered their physical bodies, and mastered form and essence, all in their own unique ways.

Each left behind remnants.

The Ninth World is built on the bones of the previous eight, and in particular the last four. Reach into the dust, and you’ll find that each particle has been worked, manufactured, or grown, and then ground back into drit—a fine, artificial soil—by the relentless power of time. Look to the horizon—is that a mountain, or part of an impossible monument to the forgotten emperor of a lost people? Feel that subtle vibration beneath your feet and know that ancient engines—vast machines the size of kingdoms—still operate in the bowels of the earth.

The Ninth World is about discovering the wonders of the worlds that came before it, not for their own sake, but as the means to improve the present and build a future.

Each of the prior eight worlds, in its own way, is too distant, too different, too incomprehensible. Life today is too dangerous to dwell on a past that cannot be understood. The people excavate and study the marvels of the prior epochs just enough to help them survive in the world they have been given. They know that energies and knowledge are suspended invisibly in the air, that reshaped continents of iron and glass—below, upon, and above the earth—hold vast treasures, and that secret doorways to stars and other dimensions and realms provide power and secrets and death. They sometimes call it magic, and who are we to say that they’re wrong?

More often, however, when they find leftovers of the old worlds—the devices, the vast machine complexes, the altered landscapes, the changes wrought upon living creatures by ancient energies, the invisible nano-spirits hovering in the air in clouds called the Iron Wind, the information transmitted into the so-called datasphere, and the remnants of visitors from other dimensions and alien planets— they call these things the numenera. In the Ninth World, the numenera is both a boon and a bane. It makes life very different from any other time on Earth.

Aenra

I still have the same concerns:
- story (because i'm older and my criteria are by necessity stricter, and because """writers""" of trash such as Oathbreaker [lol] are hardly confidence-inspiring).
- colour palette. Someone really loves it bright, frequently shiny/reflective and psychedelic.. their artistic priviledge, yes, but the outcome's not particularly reminiscing of the original PT. Which was the whole point.
- because said contrast reminds me once more of the WL2 vs WL-F1&2 discord that resulted in my disappointment.

As for that UI, again a fuss..? Personally, am not going to condemn one that is minimal (i see more of the world), or sufficiently serviceable (and after WL2, the least we can expect is the same degree of functionality, be it in terms of moving pieces around or navigating through menus)
I still await for that one response "proving" to me why the outcome of a technological limit of those times (being capable of rendering half the screen or less) must remain prevalent today, ie ship with a UI that is so fucking large even my grandma would wonder why, she can still read just fine thank you.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I still await for that one response "proving" to me why the outcome of a technological limit of those times (being capable of rendering half the screen or less) must remain prevalent today, ie ship with a UI that is so fucking large even my grandma would wonder why, she can still read just fine thank you.

Less work for the console ports.

Caconym

Savant
- colour palette. Someone really loves it bright, frequently shiny/reflective and psychedelic.. their artistic priviledge, yes, but the outcome's not particularly reminiscing of the original PT. Which was the whole point.
Looking like PST was never the point.

Aenra

Are you being purposefully obtuse?
"Looking" like PT, in the sense of it being the sole factor of quality, worth, etc, no, obviously not. Which is why i used the word "reminiscing". Barring your need for a dictionary, i would have hoped the context is obvious. Having, emitting a vibe similar to that of PT pretty much is the point, or was monetised advertised as the point in any case. You might be impartial to it, but that is your call. You might be used to the recent fashion of everything Nvidia-esque in its vibrance, but that again is your call. Far as i am concerned, the image strikes the first impression, the image sets the undertones for the setting it is meant to help materialise, the mood it is supposed to convey. Sound coming second, as it takes the odd second or two for your brain to register it. Unlike the image.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
technological limit of those times (being capable of rendering half the screen or less)

Yeah, and don't even get me started of the times when the technological limits were so harsh the UI covered the WHOLE screen and characters had to move one a time.

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
I think we've seen enough concepts, videos, and screens from different areas in the game to make the informed realization that the color palette for this alpha test area is not the rule. I've gotten a very good PST vibe from other areas that we've been shown, and this one really doesn't bother me.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I take it the area that looks like a clusterfuck is designed that way, it's a dumping ground for different eras and their technology..

V_K

Arcane
I rewatched the video and what bothers me more than colors and writing is the fact that all those scripted actions seem to boil down to either damaging someone or making someone easier to hit. Pretty boring for all the hype.

mastroego

Arcane
I'm annoyed by the abuse of Capital Letters (see what I did there!) to introduce Cool Concepts (see what I did there!) in the Announcement.

ksaun

Arcane
Developer
I'm annoyed by the abuse of Capital Letters (see what I did there!) to introduce Cool Concepts (see what I did there!) in the Announcement.

You can probably blame that on me. I advocate using title case for design/development terms so that they stand out in documentation and communications. It indicates that the word/term has a specific internal definition and helps reduce confusion (once people acclimate to the general convention). (For example, if I write (in an email, say), "Scene" then the reader knows that I mean a Unity scene and not "scene" in a more general sense. (Similarly, I can use the word "scene" in the general sense with less concern that it will be misunderstood.))

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom