Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment Kickstarter Update #42: New Gameplay Video - "A World Unlike Any Other"

Athelas

Arcane
This will be a bigger dissapointment then PoE. The butthurt torment will be glorious.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sure it won't be, but I can't wait to see the reasons some people on the Codex won't like it.

"Ugh, the graphics are giving me Pillars of Eternity flashbacks. That camera angle. I can't play this."

"Does there really have to be so much text?"

"This story is banal, try-hard hipster shit. Sorry, this might have impressed me in 1999 but not today."

"It's clear that this is a RTwP engine that's had turn-based combat shoved into it. It feels horrible."

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Say what you will about Fargo, the man is quite a shrewd businessman, especially for guy who started career in the 1980s. He manipulates internet hype with an expertise of Sasha Grey manipulating a cock. A lot of companies bomb with their subsequent Kickstarters, but I can easily see InExile making a real stronghold there for the forseeable future.

Drowed

Arcane
I'm kinda... Underwhelmed?

Don't get me wrong: it's fucking Torment, it is obvious that I am excited about the possibilities that exist in the game thanks to the setting. But I found the environment somewhat empty, without much detail. In a word, lackluster. Not that this is the most important point of the game in any way, but I think deep down I expected more.

EDIT: Case in point, look at Athelas's post.

I'm sure it won't be, but I can't wait to see the reasons some people on the Codex won't like it.

"Ugh, the graphics are giving me Pillars of Eternity flashbacks. That camera angle. I can't play this."

"Does there really have to be so much text?"

"This story is banal, try-hard hipster shit. Sorry, this might have impressed me in 1999 but not today."

"It's clear that this is a RTwP engine that's had turn-based combat shoved into it. It feels horrible."
Luckily you'll already have an arsenal of strawmen at the ready when that time comes :salute:

Athelas

Arcane
Actually, turn-based combat might be a very comfortable fit for the PoE engine. They don't even have to develop their own system of attacks of opportunity.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Clearly, it was preposterous of me to interpret 'looks' and '2d background design' as referring to graphics in the context of a video showcasing graphics. How could I be so foolish.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Cipher
InXile took some flak for not making the wasteland weird enough, it looks like they took that criticism to heart:bounce:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth

"Ugh, the graphics are giving me Pillars of Eternity flashbacks. That camera angle. I can't play this." - Nope, only butthurt troll fags will say that.

"Does there really have to be so much text?" - Most of people was bitching about shitty backer stories and characters. Fuck this shit.

"This story is banal, try-hard hipster shit. Sorry, this might have impressed me in 1999 but not today." - Pillars had that problem - They give us setting, preety new, grab our head and push it into that setting yelling 'BUY THAT YOU FAG'. Watcher part of plot was good, but it could be really better. Gods things was fucked up. Characters was written on knee (Only Mother and that Druid guy was very good. I imagine if they would probably left first concept of them, they would be better then most part of the game itself. SECOND ACT SUCK MONKEY TITS. And lady Webb... well fuck. Nice copy of her -> http://marvel.com/universe/Madame_Web )

"It's clear that this is a RTwP engine that's had turn-based combat shoved into it. It feels horrible." - Ha, nope. Again, only butthurt fags will say that about it OR if the fight will be REALLY fucked up, this will be truth. Or people with their opinions.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Say what you will about Fargo, the man is quite a shrewd businessman, especially for guy who started career in the 1980s. He manipulates internet hype with an expertise of Sasha Grey manipulating a cock. A lot of companies bomb with their subsequent Kickstarters, but I can easily see InExile making a real stronghold there for the forseeable future.
:retarded:

I occasionally find meself getting excited about read: regret not having backed Torment. But then I remember that it will be a game focusing on story (endless dialogues; linearity) rather than character development, open-worldness and combat.

The setting looks rad, though. If it was more RPG and less adventure game than PS:T I might be interested:philosoraptor:

Last edited:
Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Does there really have to be so much text?" - Most of people was bitching about shitty backer stories and characters. Fuck this shit.

Nah, there was a lot of criticism about the amount of text in PoE. Of course, it was because it was shitty writing, that took a paragraph to say something that only needed a sentence. There would have be nowhere near as much complaining (on the dex at least), if PoE matched PST not only in amount, but also quality of text.

Also, fucking encyclopedia NPCs.

TomatoJuice

Educated
I really like what they have shown.

Please, don't suck.
Please, don't suck.
Please, DON'T SUCK!

jewboy

Arbiter
Well it's clear at this point that 2D art trumps 3D art in low budget games. Wish inXile had somewhat better artists though. I'm not expecting this game to be as beautiful as PoE. Also who was complaining about PoE art? I don't remember that. Most of the complaints seem to be about the boring combat.

lurker3000

Arcane
The gameplay looked good and the environments seem much more dynamic than PoE.

But that voiceover is cringe worthy.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wish inXile had somewhat better artists though.

Please be specific. There are myriad things that could be making you feel that way and I'm curious as to which ones actually are. =)

I personally think that the only real problem with Torment's visual so far are the low quality textures.
Environments look highly creative and interesting - bit it all seems to lack finer detail when compared to PoE.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Looks like Inxile's take on Septera Core using PoE "engine". Not bad, but not great either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom