Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #34: Kevin on the Stretch Goal, Adam on Advancement, Colin on Ossiphagan

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well we know that D:OS' ~2 months on top1 (although during the summer) = 500k sales, so I think there is a reason to be worried ever so slightly.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Well we know that D:OS' ~2 months on top1 (although during the summer) = 500k sales, so I think there is a reason to be worried ever so slightly.
There is only worry if Fargo wanted to turn this on a money printing machine like Star Citizen, but based on his interviews, he is pretty much satisfied with getting enough money to get things rolling confortably and create low budget, middle market games. He seems to want to carve his own niche for his company like Paradox did, if his objective was that, Wasteland 2 was a success but if you expect a classic RPG with the budget of a Mass Effect from InExile any time soon, you are for a disapointment.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I expected more sales than D:OS, but I guess the latter was an anomaly and not the norm for incline-KS games.

Athelas

Arcane
A game can sell less than D:OS and still be considered a success.

t

Arcane
Patron
Correct and hope it will be. Still, that's not what we expected after initial kickstarters, is it?

Weasel
My guess is they'll do fine out of WL2. They only have to repay the extra they invested over the KS funds: if this is, say, $3m then it's around 100k full price sales. They said they'd made $1m on Steam in the first couple of days, they've probably broken even by now. But the other great benefit of KS backing is they own 100% of the game not just a small %. RPGs tend to have long tails when it comes to sales and every Steam or other sale they take part in from now on will be a nice chunk of cash straight to their account.

I hope so anyway, want Torment to be as good as possible.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Correct and hope it will be. Still, that's not what we expected after initial kickstarters, is it?
Post apocalyptic + dreary looking + huge stat screen for four characters right at the start = casual gamers running to the hills. Divinity sold to a alot of casual gamers, if anyone expected those casual gamers to buy Wasteland 2, they were crazy. If there is a game that can outsell Divinity is Torment because storyfagness is strong among casuals.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
The moral of the story is to use a goofy WOW-style art design and colour palette to attract the LOL crowd (who will never actually play it anyway).

Zeriel

Arcane
Post apocalyptic + dreary looking + huge stat screen for four characters right at the start = casual gamers running to the hills. Divinity sold to a alot of casual gamers, if anyone expected those casual gamers to buy Wasteland 2, they were crazy. If there is a game that can outsell Divinity is Torment because storyfagness is strong among casuals.

Don't underestimate the power of hipster purchases either, Torment wasn't played by tons of casuals but has a big profile in the gaming community and people buying games on steam they never or rarely play is an established thing. Most people who bought Grimrock barely played it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom