Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #33: Surprise Gameplay Video!

ZoddGuts

Augur
After playing POE, I'm thankful Torment is TB.

Darkzone

Arcane
You are being ridiculous by conflating both RTWP and regular real time, action games. Games like Dark Souls are far more enjoyable than the average RTWP tripe. I have *nothing* against real time. RTWP on the other hand..
Games that were meant to be played real time without interruptions are nothing like the trash that comes from Bioware and Obsidian. This isn't RT vs TB (which favor dramatically different game styles), this is RTWP vs TB.
Any RT that can be paused at any time and for whatever reason is a RTwP. If Dark Souls can be paused to take a potion or for you to go AFKlo, then it is RTwP. Any MMORPG is RT but not RTwP, because you can't pause it. The Games goes on with or without you. PoE is a example of isometric party based RTwP RPG, where the Pause is necessary to give commands to the party members, else you could not handle the actions of a whole party, but you can play it without any Pause. It is the decision of the player how he plays it.
Baldur's Gate (a bioware game) is a example, where i played a RPG without any pause, but with many load and save. I mostly played F:NV without any pause, only on two occasions in game i had to use it.
I'm not a (modern 2004-2014) Bioware fan, but i have played some Obsidian games, and some of them were in my opinion not bad, like the NWN2 addon Mask of the Betrayer or KotOR II or F:NV. About the other games from Obsidian i cannot give any opinion, because i didn't played them.

Rake

Arcane
i have played some Obsidian games, and some of them were in my opinion not bad, like the NWN2 addon Mask of the Betrayer or KotOR II or F:NV.
They weren't bad, that's for sure, but was the RTwP combat that made them good? Because i see people in both sides of the arguement saying shit like defending RTwP with Darklands, NWN2 and Torment and TB with Ultimas, Fallouts and Arcanum ffs.
Yes, you can have a great game with mediocre or even outright bad combat, but i fail to see how that somehow proves anything in the RTwP vs TB arguement

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Any RT that can be paused at any time and for whatever reason is a RTwP.

In other words, you're stretching the definition of RTwP as far as possible (and farther, really) in order to include more than a handful of games that weren't shit and that didn't have shit combat, not to mention trying to set arbitrary date constraints to try to exclude, say, the Gold Box games and earlier Ultimas from the TB camp.

Absolutely tremendous. :lol:

I don't need to stretch the definition of TB at all, or set arbitrary limitations. Merely gesturing to the enormous pile of good games with excellent TB combat I've already (partially) outlined is sufficient.

Prime Junta

Funding problems? Two words:

Film rights.

To the story of Grimoire, naturally.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Any RT that can be paused at any time and for whatever reason is a RTwP. If Dark Souls can be paused to take a potion or for you to go AFKlo, then it is RTwP. Any MMORPG is RT but not RTwP, because you can't pause it. The Games goes on with or without you. PoE is a example of isometric party based RTwP RPG, where the Pause is necessary to give commands to the party members, else you could not handle the actions of a whole party, but you can play it without any Pause. It is the decision of the player how he plays it.
Baldur's Gate (a bioware game) is a example, where i played a RPG without any pause, but with many load and save. I mostly played F:NV without any pause, only on two occasions in game i had to use it.
I'm not a (modern 2004-2014) Bioware fan, but i have played some Obsidian games, and some of them were in my opinion not bad, like the NWN2 addon Mask of the Betrayer or KotOR II or F:NV. About the other games from Obsidian i cannot give any opinion, because i didn't played them.
You cannot pause Dark Souls.

However, I disagree with your definition. Calling something real time with pause implies that pausing is part of the gameplay. You can pause Starcraft, but you can't issue orders or make any decisions. You're stopping gameplay, not using pause as a feature of it. Thus, I would only include games where you can interact while pausing.

Darkzone

Arcane
They weren't bad, that's for sure, but was the RTwP combat that made them good? Because i see people in both sides of the arguement saying shit like defending RTwP with Darklands, NWN2 and Torment and TB with Ultimas, Fallouts and Arcanum ffs.
Yes, you can have a great game with mediocre or even outright bad combat, but i fail to see how that somehow proves anything in the RTwP vs TB arguement
No they were good because they were interesting and fun to play. Any game could be good with either system, or be bad if the system is shitty. RTwP is not inherently shit, and TB is not necessary slow like a snail.
Fallout is a example where the system was very simple and even made bad, but the game was fun in all aspects. In Darklands i hated the RT. Arcanum made neither system good and yet i love this game.

Blaine said:
In other words, you're stretching the definition of RTwP as far as possible (and farther, really) in order to include more than a handful of games that weren't shit and that didn't have shit combat, not to mention trying to set arbitrary date constraints to try to exclude, say, the Gold Box games and earlier Ultimas from the TB camp.
Not quite. RT may be called RTwP, where the Pause is simply in all dimensions zero. Or one can say RTwP is RT, if the RT recives a vector Pause and this vector is not zero in all dimensions. Quite simple. We can argue what is the subset of what, but this is pure nonsens. The time point is not arbitrary i use it from Fellipepe's classification. And if you look back at the history of RPGs you see that in the early 90s the RPG with RT do appear and later take the gross of the RPGs, while in the 80s there are nearly only TB RPGs. I think i can remember one RT RPG in the 80s on the Amiga, but i have forgotten the name. But i think that the earliest RT strategy RPG was Bokosuka Wars in 1983.

StaticSpine said:
Dark Souls can't be paused.
Thank you. Then Dark Souls is a true RT without the vector Pause. Is that so, that Dark Soul is half multiplayer game where every player may play an instance of the game or where you can receive help from other players from other instances?

tuluse said:
However, I disagree with your definition. Calling something real time with pause implies that pausing is part of the gameplay. You can pause Starcraft, but you can't issue orders or make any decisions. You're stopping gameplay, not using pause as a feature of it. Thus, I would only include games where you can interact while pausing
The RT is a false name, it should be called continous time game. But the name addresses the RT of the player (not the game time which can go faster or slower then the normal seconds), where the player has continuously to adapt himself in Real Time to the continuously developing situation. While you stop the game play and you cannot react within the game, you do continue to use your brain and etc. And a Pause stops this only this continuous development, and the necessity of the adaptation of the player in RT. Starcraft is a good example where a pause helps you with the game, but where you do not issue commands in this time. If i have played Starcraft against an other opponent nobody did ever paused the game, because of this reasons. (I dont know if this was even possible.) In Starcraft Tournaments definitely not.
I think that the true examples of RT without Pause are MMORPG and then as you stated Dark Souls. In other cases the pause helps you with the game, no matter if can or cannot interact.

norolim

Arcane
Great video. I could probably find a few things I could nitpick about, if I analysed it closely, but at first glance everything looks perfect.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just watched this video.

Has this game been designed by the Stones of Arnhem guys ? Because apparently we went from mocking Penis Monsters to applauding Giant Anuses.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Any RT that can be paused at any time and for whatever reason is a RTwP

KotOR I and II, NWN I and II were RT? In my memories they are TB, but my memories can be flawed.

All RT is RTwP but RTwP games are turn-based?
Feels like taking a prosperian IQ-test.

You're just embarrassing yourself now.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"KotOR I and II, NWN I and II were RT? In my memories they are TB, but my memories can be flawed."

They're all RT w/pause. If you leave the game unpause mid battle the battle will finish without you (and unless you are way more powerful than your opponents you will be dead) by the time you get back. It's not full real time though because they run on 6 second rounds so it's not 'click fest' either. They're a mix. But, you can't claim it's TB ala TOEE or RT ala ME. That be dumb.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Any RT that can be paused at any time and for whatever reason is a RTwP

KotOR I and II, NWN I and II were RT? In my memories they are TB, but my memories can be flawed.

All RT is RTwP but RTwP games are turn-based?
Feels like taking a prosperian IQ-test.

You're just embarrassing yourself now.
He just didn't put enough INT at character creation.

oscar

Arcane
I like to think the placeholder main character is a

shadowoftorturer.jpg

tribute

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom