Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #33: Surprise Gameplay Video!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Texture resolution is very very low and as a result everything looks blurry, surely not as crisp as the original torment art.
I remember Torment being the blurriest of the IE games.

inXile sure does like to be inefficient, but no one should expect something over a year away from release to resemble a finished product.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Looks like blurry video textures actually after re-watching it.

That said PE also has a few areas with some noticeable comrpession - such as Dracogen Inn. The floorboards look pretty terrible.

Athelas

Arcane
Texture resolution is very very low and as a result everything looks blurry, surely not as crisp as the original torment art.
I remember Torment being the blurriest of the IE games.
It was in its vanilla state, the widescreen mod fixes it.

inXile sure does like to be inefficient, but no one should expect something over a year away from release to resemble a finished product.
They do have the benefit of working with a pre-made engine.

Last edited:

bonescraper

Fucking graphics whores. Unlike W2, they nailed the look and feel. Stop fucking whining over pixels.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Fucking graphics whores. Unlike W2, they nailed the look and feel. Stop fucking whining over pixels.

It's computers. Everything is shit pixels.

I'm digging the video and the music. Also the proper wall of text dialogue ui. As long as the writing is good, everyting else can be a sawyerist turdfest for all I care. Torment was never about the gameplay for me. :storyfag:

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Just please, don't pull off another Sawyer.
That's it. I need somebody to explain to me what "to pull a Sawyer", "sawyerist", and other Josh Sawyer-derived words mean. Too tired of not understanding wtf is going on.
Yeah, have I missed something and PE is coming out as something other than BG spiritual sequel we were promised?
I played a beta for an hour or so, seemed fine to me if somewhat raw at this point.

p.s. Torment looks awesome btw, my expectations were much lower.

Darkzone

Arcane
The vibe comes from the music, and Mark Morgan is the man who is responsible for this. I remember going over and over again to Deionarra's grave, simply to hear Deionarra's theme.
I hope the story is up to that of PST, but somehow i have not doubt, that it can be even better. Because the T:ToN is one of the best assembled teams ever. Only the combat system can be troubling, but Torment was never about the combat system or the graphic.
So people should quit whining about the graphic, because it will be better in the end product. As for anything else it looks very good even the UI (inXiles weakness ;) ). And i'm glad that i have put so much money into this Project.

Rake

Arcane
The vibe comes from the music, and Mark Morgan is the man who is responsible for this. I remember going over and over again to Deionarra's grave, simply to hear Deionarra's theme.
I hope the story is up to that of PST, but somehow i have not doubt, that it can be even better. Because the T:ToN is one of the best assembled teams ever. Only the combat system can be troubling, but Torment was never about the combat system or the graphic.
So people should quit whining about the graphic, because it will be better in the end product. As for anything else it looks very good even the UI (inXiles weakness ;) ). And i'm glad that i have put so much money into this Project.
Yeah, PoE music can't compair to Mark Morgan's at all. They should hire the guy for their next kickstarter.

bonescraper

I belive in CmcC, he came up with a better main theme already. What can change the nature of a man? Silly question, a fuckload of things. What is one life worth? Now this has far greater potential.

Rake

Arcane
They won't though :P
I know...
I'm starting to believe that the thing that was Obsidian's advantage against inXile (that the stayed in the buisness of making games and knew what they were doing agains inXile's making it in the dark with W2), will have it's disadvantages as well. They seem to have taken some of the modern game design sensibilities to heart (i.e. music style), while Fargo seems to managing his games in the same way he did in the late 90'.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well I think it's more that they want it to be an in house thing, whereas inXile has remote contractors everywhere. They had George Ziets on for 6 months and he just did paper design, and they decided against working with him further *shrug* - he's where he should be now though :)

Rake

Arcane
Well I think it's more that they want it to be an in house thing, whereas inXile has remote contractors everywhere.
Then they should hire Morgan full time or improve their in house thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't get this conversation. Mark Morgan doesn't do generic fantasy themes. He wouldn't have been helpful for Pillars of Eternity.

In a future project, maybe.

Also, it's "What does one life matter". :M

Sensuki

Arcane
I am willing to wait until the PE music has been recorded live to give a final judgement but I really disagree with a lot of Justin Bell's opinions on music. PE soundtrack will likely have fuck all percussion, because Justin really doesn't like percussion in soundtracks I don't think ....

:retarded:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Well I think it's more that they want it to be an in house thing, whereas inXile has remote contractors everywhere. They had George Ziets on for 6 months and he just did paper design, and they decided against working with him further *shrug* - he's where he should be now though :)

Just gave him more time working on Torment. Yes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mark Morgan is a plagiarist hack btw.

In this video he's plagiarizing himself.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Great! This is what I want. Now halt the launch for WL2 and make it look like this instead of a collection of random assets from unity.

Darkzone

Arcane
Both those questions are rather meaningless when stated out of context.
Athelas you smart thinker, nearly everything is worthless without a context.
Roguey said:
Mark Morgan is a plagiarist hack btw. In this video he's plagiarizing himself.
Every note was on purpose on this one, because it has to reenact the PST vibe. And that can be only done by using the same sounds and compositions, that were in PST. To call him for this a plagiarist hack, is way of.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Not a fan of the voice acting, hopefully it's toggleable. Otherwise it looks and seems great. I want to believe. Of all my pledges, this is the one I wish was bearing fruit first.

Mark Morgan is a plagiarist hack btw.

If Richard D. James himself saw this post he'd undoubtedly respond with "Oh piss off Roguey you unlikable twat."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom