Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #2: Stretch Goals

Unwanted

Sacred_Path

Unwanted
A mount and a stronghold in a Torment game? FFS man, just wait for Project Eternity.

How does a stronghold and mounts interfere with your LARPing/ storyfaggotry?

hiver

at the $2m mark, we will be adding the Ruins of Ossiphagan to the game:

The erupting volcanoes and surging lava fill the air with acrid smoke and choking fumes. The bones of an enormous beast lie sprawled across the obsidian fields, its ribs splayed open as if it had been torn open by some unimaginable predator.
The ossified bones have been hollowed out as homes by some intrepid or foolish citizens, and the wind howls through the openings in a mournful whistle like a giant flute.
In the wastes beyond, creatures of flame and focused minds trawl the lava and skim its valuable nutrients.

:love:

Unwanted

Sacred_Path

Unwanted
It doesn't, but these are traditional high fantasy concepts you're talking about. They don't fit with Torment's themes - neither the old one nor the new one.

Slightly twisted fantasy settings usually crawl (lol) with unusual, many-legged mounts, usually ridden by cloaked/ hooded mystary nomads. I've never looked at a Planescape source book, but I'll be damned if you can't find a dozen examples of that.

jewboy

Arbiter
This takes place a billion years in the future. How often are horses or camels used as a means of transportation today? I don't have a problem with the idea of mounts, but they are just one means of transportation. Presumably you could have some artificially created organism that can be used as transportation though. I'm thinking in terms of some variation on Cylon ships in the new Battlestar Galactica. And of course in Iain Bank's Culture novels pretty much any means of transportation is not only sentient, but far more intelligent than humans as well. You'd have to ask it to take you somewhere instead of ordering it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It doesn't, but these are traditional high fantasy concepts you're talking about. They don't fit with Torment's themes - neither the old one nor the new one.

Slightly twisted fantasy settings usually crawl (lol) with unusual, many-legged mounts, usually ridden by cloaked/ hooded mystary nomads. I've never looked at a Planescape source book, but I'll be damned if you can't find a dozen examples of that.

"To me, Torment is about riding around on a many-legged mount, killing things."

:hearnoevil:

Unwanted

Sacred_Path

Unwanted
This takes place a billion years in the future. How often are horses or camels used as a means of transportation today?
I expect them to come up with some more or less dodgy explanation why melee weaponry is still used, I'm sure they could do the same for mounts

I don't have a problem with the idea of mounts, but they are just one means of transportation. Presumably you could have some artificially created organism that can be used as transportation though.
well yes, whatever works in the setting.

Unwanted

Sacred_Path

Unwanted
fuck you guys, why can't you see the existentialism expressed in a road trip with just a man and his dinosaur

hiver

Anyone knows how the world is actually going to be visually presented in the game?

I dont think they told us yet. :lol:

BG map with quick travel to cities / locations? Fallout world map you travels slowly over to reach locations? PST stitched pieces of skin ?
Arcanum style?

Brother None

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
This takes place a billion years in the future. How often are horses or camels used as a means of transportation today? I don't have a problem with the idea of mounts, but they are just one means of transportation. Presumably you could have some artificially created organism that can be used as transportation though. I'm thinking in terms of some variation on Cylon ships in the new Battlestar Galactica. And of course in Iain Bank's Culture novels pretty much any means of transportation is not only sentient, but far more intelligent than humans as well. You'd have to ask it to take you somewhere instead of ordering it.
Wave_1_Half_RiderPortrait_Rough.jpeg

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Bite off the bone, suck the marrow! BITE OFF THE BONE SUCK THE MARROW

Where've you gone, my son, my son? Gone to rot in the sun, the sun? Please come back, my son, my son... KILL THEM ALL ONE BY ONE BY ONE

OH MY LOVE MY LOVE. Your flesh stuck in my teeth, MY LOVE! You were too salty, too salty, my love. When I belch, I still smell your sweet perfume. My love...

Sleep... Sleeep SLEEEEP SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

I actually liked that. It really freaked me out the first time playing through there.
+1. It could get annoying after a few playthroughs, but it definitely added to the atmosphere.

hiver

Also:

KmWwpCu.jpg

fZn544O.jpg

Doesnt look so bad if it is a perk you win through quests or by becoming good with a faction or a city in the game.
Maybe allows reaching something you otherwise couldnt reach, but is limited to a part of the world, and maybe not always available.

Arkeus

Arcane
Yeah, MCA mentioned he loves Malazan stories and would love to do an RPG and im thinking, Malazan and Obsidian - project Eternity design style - would fit kind of really well.
Sorry, obligatory :bro:

Syl

Cipher
fuck you guys, why can't you see the existentialism expressed in a road trip with just a man and his dinosaur
:lol:

Great thread, very entertaining. I'm glad I took the time to read it in full.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom