Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #2: Stretch Goals

Jashiin

Arcane
So what's the number we are at now ? Did Garriot pay kickstarter to slow your momentum ?

Jashiin

Arcane
That's doing pretty well, how does kicktraq know the total but the official page doesn't have the info ?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That's doing pretty well, how does kicktraq know the total but the official page doesn't have the info ?

What exactly do you mean? Not only is the total on the Kickstarter page, but Kicktraq only updates at certain intervals not real-time.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not a big surprise the rate is going to slow dramatically. The majority of the diehards got in right at the start (several limited tiers, even the higher ones, are already gone). That said, I'm sure there's another million or so bucks out there that can be added. Thinking it'll finish around three. Could it go higher? Maybe if those Mass Effect fans are convinced it's be another awesome Shepard-like game!

Jashiin

Arcane

What exactly do you mean? Not only is the total on the Kickstarter page, but Kicktraq only updates at certain intervals not real-time.

Ah weird. For me both in opera and firefox the kickstarter page still doesn't display backers or total funding.

Jashiin

Arcane
Yes but that wasn't a problem before. ah well, good to know the counter is back at least.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Come on with the updates, faggots.
BN was all like "LOL Obsidian wasn't prepared!" if I remember correctly.

hiver

Yah, i cant see the money on the kickstarter either, but i see it on the Torment site, in that small widget on the side.

• 211% funded
  • $1,907,373 pledged
- ah, java...again.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
$2.5 Million: George Ziets, Death Mechanics – The Castoff’s Labyrinth, Monte’s Novella, New Companion, Colin’s Apology (Part 1)

:yeah:
Happy now, Jaesun?

The whole thing:
Project Update #3: Updated our Journal for the 3rd Time: Video on Themes, New True Believer Tier Coming, Strategy Guide, More Stretch Goals, PayPal

Posted by inXile entertainment

(Gosh, that's quite a long Update title, isn't it? It doesn't seem to hit the character limit, though!)

Hello again!

As much as we were prepared for this Kickstarter to be somewhat overwhelming, we’re still recovering from the unexpected flurry of activity and are working hard to get back on top of things. Rejuvenated by adrenaline, caffeine, and a couple hours rest, I’m happy to send to you this Update 3.

TL;DR: A video from Colin about Torment’s themes. New Limited Tier @ $28 arrives tomorrow @ 1 PM. Pay Pal ready. Details about Stretch Goals.
Torment Video Series Begins

Here is Colin to introduce to you the series of videos we’ve prepared to give you more information about Torment as well as meet many of our talented team (the “talented” part comes with the second video – Colin is exempt from that adjective). Colin will explain more about what we have planned for you over the coming weeks and will also talk more about Torment’s themes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG-aVZ_QaSc
Digital Strategy Guide Added to $28+ Tiers

We will create a digital strategy guide for Torment, and this reward will be added to all Tiers $28 or higher (But there is no $28 Tier, you say? Read on! =) ). The digital strategy guide is also available as an add-on for $7.
New True Believer Tier Coming!

Tomorrow, March 8th at 1 PM PST, we will be opening up a new $28 True Believer Tier. Our initial $20 Tier sold out more quickly than we expected, which meant that many people missed out on the opportunity to be a True Believer of Torment. Some of our international audience, as well as those who wanted to pay with Pay Pal had no such opportunity.

This Tier will include the following:
1. DRM-free Digital Game (PC, Mac, or Linux)
2. Planescape: Torment Developer Retrospective
3. Access to the Official Torment Community
4. Digital Strategy Guide
5. Digital copy of Colin McComb’s novella (not the entire Novella Compilation)

This new True Believe Tier will be limited to 20,000 backers. It will also be available through Pay Pal until it sells out on Kickstarter. Of course, $20 True Believers, and those who joined us “late” at $25 can change to this Tier as well, gaining the digital strategy guide and Colin’s novella.

Out of fairness to our $35 and $45 Tier backers, we will add Colin’s novella to these Tiers as well. We aren’t adding anything else extra to the $50 and higher Tiers at this time, but hope that Nathan’s novella and the additional novellas we hope to add to the compilation, plus the strategy guide, compensate for Colin’s novella being given out to the $28 and $35 Tiers.
More Stretch Goals

(See the bottom of this Update for the new Stretch Goal table.)

We reached our $1.5m Stretch Goal soon after I sent out Update 2 last night, which means that Mur and Tony both join our writing team. We’ve received requests for a little more detail in terms of how we’ll be expanding the game as we surpass various Stretch Goals, so we want to further define the impact of adding these writers by noting that a new area, the Crystal Dimension, will also be added to the game due to reaching this milestone. Here’s a brief description:

In strange and distant worlds, life flickers toward awareness even amid the most brutal landscapes. For instance: massive mountains of crystal heave from the land and pierce the sky under pale suns, their light refracting and bending around cunning spires never touched by human hands. The infants of this land are giants, vaguely humanoid crystalline monsters torn from the land itself and given shape and purpose by the elders, who share the light and heat from their ever-diminishing bodies, chipped and worn by age.
$2.0 Million: Monte Writes, Mark Composes, Ruins of Ossiphagan, and Goo Oozes, +2 Novellas

In my fatigued state last night, I forgot to mention that at this Stretch Goal, Mur and Tony will each also be writing novellas that will be added to the compilation for all Tiers that receive it (or for those who purchase it as an add-on). Also, at the $2m mark, we will be adding the Ruins of Ossiphagan to the game:

The erupting volcanoes and surging lava fill the air with acrid smoke and choking fumes. The bones of an enormous beast lie sprawled across the obsidian fields, its ribs splayed open as if it had been torn open by some unimaginable predator. The ossified bones have been hollowed out as homes by some intrepid or foolish citizens, and the wind howls through the openings in a mournful whistle like a giant flute. In the wastes beyond, creatures of flame and focused minds trawl the lava and skim its valuable nutrients.

Also, as a surprise edition to all (including our dear colleague Colin who is learning about this commitment right now as you are) after the Kickstarter ends, Colin’s going to be doing a play through of Planescape: Torment for you all, providing his developer commentary as he goes. Which areas and characters did he write? And what was he thinking when he wrote them? How fast of a reader is he? Does he have anything good to say about the combat? What is his answer to the question: “What can change the nature of a man?” Learn all of this and more!

$2.5 Million: George Ziets, Death Mechanics – The Castoff’s Labyrinth, Monte’s Novella, New Companion, Colin’s Apology (Part 1)

Ziets!

We are thrilled to announce that George will be joining Torment as a writer at this Stretch Goal. This is a personally meaningful addition to me. You may know George from his role as Creative Lead on Mask of the Betrayer, where he led the story and character design for the game. Working on that game was one of the highlights of my career and I have George to thank for much of that. His creative aesthetics are perfect for the themes we are exploring in Torment and I’m very much looking forward to collaborating with George again.

New Novella

Monte will be writing a Torment novella at this mark as well. For a sample of Monte’s creative writing for Numenera, you might check out his short story, The Amber Monolith. http://www.numenera.com/the-amber-monolith/

Companion

This Stretch Goal will also bring the 6th companion. Some noted to us that maybe I said too much in describing “The Toy” in Update 2, so we’ll leave this one mysterious for now.

Castoff's Labyrinth

We’ll also be adding the Castoff’s Labyrinth, an area that will play into our treatment of death in Torment at $2.5M. Expanding upon this “labyrinth of the mind” will also serve as an ongoing Stretch Goal for us from this point on. We’ll be providing more detail about this area, and Death Mechanics soon, but here’s a piece that Colin wrote describing it:

"Death is the end. That's what they say. But that's not entirely true, is it? When Death crashes over you like a looming wave, you don't die. Your body knits up fast and your eyes stare off. You move and twitch. So what is it you're seeing? Where do you go when you die?"

When you open your eyes, you're in a chamber with four... no, six... make it five walls. Call it five. It's almost definitely five walls. Each of them has a door of different material, each of them wavers before you, but they become more distinct the closer you approach. The chamber is dark and dripping, a faint tremor like a slow pulse shaking the floor on a long timeline. You put your hand to the door and it opens for you, and before you lies a crumbling stone walkway over fathomless mists. You can see no roof above you, nor stars nor moon. The mists curl and lap at your feet, broken occasionally by stray eddies of wind.

There is a feeling of recognition deep inside you. You know this place. And ahead, across the span, you see a familiar face.

"What are you doing here?" you ask

"You're dead," she says. "What I mean is that you're not dead. You're coming back to life. And now you've got fragments of us in your head. Every time you take our suffering, we get stronger. In here, I mean. But if you want to come back to the world, you need to find your way out of here."

Colin's Apology (Part 1)

Last, but most certainly not least: Upon reaching $2.5m, we will send out a special video from Colin. Those of you familiar with Colin’s very early work may recall that he wrote the Complete Book of Elves for 2nd Edition AD&D. You AD&D players may remember how dreadful this work was, making elves so incredibly powerful and unbalanced that all of our AD&D games were henceforth ruined until 3rd Edition D&D came to save us. (This is a slight overstatement. We could just pretend the book never existed, after all. That’s what I did…) Fortunately, Colin wrote that over 20 years ago and he’s learned much since then. =) Plus he’s the creative guy on Torment and Adam and I aren’t going to let him get too close to the gameplay systems. Just kidding. (Mostly. ;) )

But we’ve always felt that he owes us for polluting our campaigns with his bizarre passion for elves. Thankfully, Colin seems to have gotten through his elf-fetish years but his penance isn’t yet complete. He has apologized before, but somehow I find it lacking. I don't know about you, but I want to see him say it. So as part of our update celebrating this Stretch Goal, Colin will apologize publicly for this sin of his youth through a special video.
PayPal Ready

Finally, we launched the PayPal store earlier today. You can reach it through clicking “Pledge” at tormentrpg.com. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your time and support! Hope you are all having a terrific day. See you again soon!

Kevin

Esquilax

Arcane
Not a big surprise the rate is going to slow dramatically. The majority of the diehards got in right at the start (several limited tiers, even the higher ones, are already gone). That said, I'm sure there's another million or so bucks out there that can be added. Thinking it'll finish around three. Could it go higher? Maybe if those Mass Effect fans are convinced it's be another awesome Shepard-like game!

You're dramatically underestimating how much more money this thing is going to make - it pretty much exploded out of the gate, and while it's true that the pace is also going to slow down a lot, there is a ton of time for this thing to match or even exceed what Project Eternity made. It'll make at least another million in the next two weeks during the slow middle phase that's common during these Kickstarters. There's no doubt in my mind that it'll raise more than Wasteland 2 did: Fargo has established himself as the Kickstarter guy, Torment is more recognizable and recent than Wasteland 2 was, and they already have gameplay videos to show that the earlier project is real and going to happen. I personally think it'll make considerably more than P:E did, reaching $5 million. They're really doing a fantastic job here.

Edit: Fuck yeah, Ziets is going to be in on this good shit too.

Jashiin

Arcane
So castoff's labyrinth is the new megadungeon. 2.5 mil is a good bet. Keep the momentum going.. the end push will happen anyway.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Even if Ziets can only have the time to possibly do an area I'm OK with this. Hopefully he has some of that Myrkul magic in him that he can do again.

:love:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

You're dramatically underestimating how much more money this thing is going to make - it pretty much exploded out of the gate, and while it's true that the pace is also going to slow down a lot, there is a ton of time for this thing to match or even exceed what Project Eternity made. It'll make at least another million in the next two weeks during the slow middle phase that's common during these Kickstarters. There's no doubt in my mind that it'll raise more than Wasteland 2 did: Fargo has established himself as the Kickstarter guy, Torment is more recognizable and recent than Wasteland 2 was, and they already have gameplay videos to show that the earlier project is real and going to happen. I personally think it'll make considerably more than P:E did, reaching $5 million. They're really doing a fantastic job here.

Edit: Fuck yeah, Ziets is going to be in on this good shit too.

Perhaps. It's just some sloppy math balance new sales versus people who upgrade. If they keep adding 'plug in' content like the strategy guide than they can make a lot more money from people who might want to pick and choose extras. And while there is still the possibility that people could upgrade to higher tiers they'll have to add more as many of them are already sold out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom