Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #2: Stretch Goals

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh, you're talking about that Yudkowsky! I haven't read his Harry Potter stuff and I don't find the concept of it that interesting. However, his AI Box experiment ( http://yudkowsky.net/singularity/aibox ) is off-the-charts-awesome.

It sure is a cool concept for a sci-fi novel but calling it an AI experiment or even an experiment at all is quite a stretch.
I call it an experiment because, in a manner, he actually ran the experiment 5 times already: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/AI-box_experiment
Well yes, colloquially speaking, we might call it an experiment, but in no way it is scientific.
It doesn't seem much worse (un-scientific) that most experiments run by, for example, psychologists, or other practitioners of various soft sciences.
I don't think psychologists try to impersonate nonexistent robot gods, or any highly dubious, purely speculatory agents for that matter, during their experiments. They also seek peer review rather than shroud their proceedings in mystery. It really ain't science, mate.
Totally agree with you on the peer reviewed front. But that's his choice to make. Maybe he considers his research still work in progress and not worthy of publishing results in peer reviewed publications, or whatever. Everything is not peer reviewed in the beginning.

As for the impersonating stuff and doing some rather awful things in order to run an experiment, I assume that you never heard of the Milgram experiment ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment ).

Rake

Arcane
At least he is involved fulltime in P:E. And i realy hope P:E narrative to rival P:T and T:ToN.
After P:E, i don't care if it's Obsidian or inXile but someone needs to hire Ziets permanently. He is MCA's spiritual successor

Jashiin

Arcane
Kickstarter not doing anyone any favoures by failing to work again. With them taking that ridiculous 5% is any downtime to the campaign deductable from their share ?

Diablo169

Arcane
Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
Totally agree with you on the peer reviewed front. But that's his choice to make. Maybe he considers his research still work in progress and not worthy of publishing results in peer reviewed publications, or whatever. Everything is not peer reviewed in the beginning.

As for the impersonating stuff and doing some rather awful things in order to run an experiment, I assume that you never heard of the Milgram experiment ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment ).
The made up, speculatory robot god is the dodgy part here. Yudkowsky assumes baseless axioms about nonexistent stuff and works from there - lots of them are implicit, produced by his little community, and not mentioned to the outsider, some are stated but still ridiculous nontheless. All he is evaluating is how a small, personally selected clique, reacts to his make believe MUD game while he appoints himself as an admin. This doesn't meet any standards of being an experiment. I really don't see how this silliness has anything in common with Milgram experiment.

Rake

Arcane
I don't mind much. Colin impressed me with his ideas to make the game following the Torment formula without making a copy-paste. So he fills MCA shoes pretty good.
And i think it is a great chance for new writers to shine in an industry that until now doesn't reward creativity and writting skills. We all know Obsidian's storytelling talent. Let's give inXile the chance to prove their own. I have read novels by Nathan Long set in Warhammer Fantasy, and while not one to compete with G.R.R.M, he is leagues ahead from Gaider and his ilk.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I have read novels by Nathan Long set in Warhammer Fantasy, and while not one to compete with G.R.R.M, he is leagues ahead from Gaider and his ilk.

I can only guess that you are talking about Graham McNeil although I like Dan Abnett much more. If find it strange that nobody, yet, hired him for writing a game story as he is leagues ahead of others other than Dan.

skuphundaku

Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The made up, speculatory robot god is the dodgy part here. Yudkowsky assumes baseless axioms about nonexistent stuff and works from there - lots of them are implicit, produced by his little community, and not mentioned to the outsider, some are stated but still ridiculous nontheless.
Most test subjects aren't aware of the rules of the experiment they take part in, in psychological experiments either.

All he is evaluating is how a small, personally selected clique, reacts to his make believe MUD game while he appoints himself as an admin.
As you yourself said earlier, the outsider is not aware of the rules of the "AI", so there is no "personally selected clique" to speak of.

I really don't see how this silliness has anything in common with Milgram experiment.
The test subjects in the Milgram experiment weren't aware of what was actually happening either. If they knew, the experiment wouldn't have had any relevance.

Rake

Arcane
I have read novels by Nathan Long set in Warhammer Fantasy, and while not one to compete with G.R.R.M, he is leagues ahead from Gaider and his ilk.

I can only guess that you are talking about Graham McNeil although I like Dan Abnett much more. If find it strange that nobody, yet, hired him for writing a game story as he is leagues ahead of others other than Dan.
No. Nathan Long has written the late books in the Gotrek and Felix series. Mindless hack and slash as a series for the most part, but his writting is not bad. Compared to most game writters he is shakespeare. And he sertainly is more creative than AAA designers.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

No. Nathan Long has written the late books in the Gotrek and Felix series. Mindless hack and slash as a series for the most part, but his writting is not bad. Compared to most game writters he is shakespeare. And he sertainly is more creative than AAA designers.
I was talking about G.R.R.M abbreviation...

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
The made up, speculatory robot god is the dodgy part here. Yudkowsky assumes baseless axioms about nonexistent stuff and works from there - lots of them are implicit, produced by his little community, and not mentioned to the outsider, some are stated but still ridiculous nontheless.
Most test subjects aren't aware of the rules of the experiment they take part in, in psychological experiments either.

All he is evaluating is how a small, personally selected clique, reacts to his make believe MUD game while he appoints himself as an admin.
As you yourself said earlier, the outsider is not aware of the rules of the "AI", so there is no "personally selected clique" to speak of.

By an outsider I didn't mean a participant of Yudkowsky's test but an independent observer reading on those subjects on the Internet. It's a failure of communication on my part. What's more, and this is obscure yet relevant piece of information, Yudkowsky doesn't choose just anyone for his "tests". All the people he interacted with were part of his extropian/transhumanist/singularitarian lesswrong circles, all of them aware of the lore (not to be confused with actual scientific discovery) the community of extropians/transhumanists/singularitarians came up with in the last two decades. They all operate on and think in mutually referencing and supporting, even though scientifically baseless (to say the least), memes. People "tested" by the "experiment" are neither John Doe down the road nor actual academics in the field of AI.

I really don't see how this silliness has anything in common with Milgram experiment.
The test subjects in the Milgram experiment weren't aware of what was actually happening either. If they knew, the experiment wouldn't have had any relevance.
Yes, that's one of the differences between the two cases. People Yudkowsky had selectively chosen for his ploy knew the purpose of the "test" beforehand. How couldn't they, the game couldn't proceed otherwise. The only thing "tested" here is their interaction, and the elephant in the room, the improbable, absurd, black-box-like, hocus pocus, unjustfied robot god chatting with someone is taken for granted.

But all this is beside the point. All that interacting with a dude impersonating a made up robot god in a make believe experiment can prove is how some colleague of said dude reacts to a dialogue with a dude impersonating made up robot god in a make believe experiment. You catching my drift? The stated purpose of the "experiment" is to test "real thing". No can do, it doesn't translate. It is silly.

skuphundaku

Patron
Yes, that's one of the differences between the two cases. People Yudkowsky had selectively chosen for his ploy knew the purpose of the "test" beforehand.
I wasn't aware of this aspect. Under these circumstances, it's all a massive circlejerk and no further debate is necessary.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
Yes, that's one of the differences between the two cases. People Yudkowsky had selectively chosen for his ploy knew the purpose of the "test" beforehand.
I wasn't aware of this aspect. Under these circumstances, it's all a massive circlejerk and no further debate is necessary.
You shouldn't feel bad about it, the likes of Yudkowsky often either omit or obscure vital information to push their agenda and avoid critical scrutiny. I enjoyed his autobiographical fanfic book, though. :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom