Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top 10 role-playing games

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The hive mind has spoken. Here is <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9862&start=175>the list of the best RPGs</a> voted by our readers who may or may not have a clue.

<blockquote>1. Fallout
2. Planescape: Torment
3. Fallout 2
4. Arcanum
5. Baldur’s Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
6. Deus Ex
7. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
8. Ultima 7: The Black Gate // Baldur’s Gate
9. System Shock 2 // Gothic 2
10. Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall</blockquote>
Click on the link above to see all the drama and read the comments.

Special thanks to <b>Jed</b> for organizing the event.

Kraszu

Prophet
I was traing to play Prelude to Darkness but it crased after ~10minutes, i made so quest in first city but got flustrated and stop.

Genoforge - i liked avernum more, but to fight heavy for me, still fun throught i got litle flustrated whit 1 person who can identify objects in the world, and my lore ability usless (i wasted many points and could only identify "simple" objects). I playd genoforge later and did not go far, combat pissed me off avernum fight was beter.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I was traing to play Prelude to Darkness but it crased after ~10minutes, i made so quest in first city but got flustrated and stop.
What demo version did you download? The one at the official site is very outdated.

I expected the Ultimas to get a lot higher... bah.
Hell, I was suprised one broke into the top ten at all!

Twinfalls

Erudite
It's a good list, and a great reminder of how important the Codex is.

My personal disappointment - that Ultima Underworld and Gothic 1 missed out whilst Deus Ex and Baldurs gate were in. But then again, I could have put in something more than a donkey vote, so I can't complain.

Great stuff!!

MarFish

Liturgist
Arcanum ... bwahahahaha, stop sucking that dick already, it's dead.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Arcanum ... bwahahahaha, stop sucking that dick already, it's dead.
What the fuck are you babbling about?
Troika? Well, who gives a fuck that it's dead, Arcanum isn't.
It's like saying stop loving Diablo, cuz Blizzard Northi is dead lawl.

that Ultima Underworld and Gothic 1 missed out whilst Deus Ex and Baldurs gate were in.
Shame, especially for Gothic 1 (again, i'm puzzled why more people like Gothic 2 better).
Hm, don't you like Baldur's Gate? I don't know about BG1, but BG2 sure deserves a high rank on this ladder.

Twinfalls

Erudite
BG2 I never tried, BG1 I perhaps didn't give enough of a go. Deus Ex I found impressive in many ways, but very gameplay-contrived, and just not RPG-enough. I really don't know, I'm just not enough of an RPG player to feel confident on these things, but I DO know this:

Gothic 1 had motherfuckin' BALLS.

And BALLS count a fuckin heap these days, when most everything is safe as shit.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
The list is surprisingly close to my own. Basically, I have a weak spot in me for FP RPG, and I think Bloodlines is the best example of that. Of course, I consider Fallout to be better RPG overall.

The Baldur Gates didn't get my votes because I've never played them-- and likewise with Daggerfall.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I'm sad that I didn't participate in this. I didn't know it would be an official thing.

The list is good, though. I'd have voted basically the same way.

1. PS:T
2. BG2
3. FO2
4. FO
5. BG
6. Arcanum
7. Diablo 2
8. Bloodlines
9. Morrowind
10. Deus Ex

That's my loose judgement. I focussed mostly on how much time I've spent playing the games and amount of times replayed. Then threw in an enjoyability curve.

For instance, I've probably spent roughly 10x the amount of time on Diablo 2 than any other game, but the memories aren't as fond.

PS:T was a little short and had a tight path, but is just written so well. I read the text out loud when I play. Also, most of the exp in the game is achieved through dialogue. I loved that.

I've probably replayed BG2 the most times out of any of these games. I'd say over 15 replays. Not neccessarily completing the game each time, but playing it to almost the end. I've played it through to the end of Throne of Bhaal four times I think.

Fallout 2 beats Fallout narrowly. While Fallout is The standard for quality of an RPG, I've played FO2 many more times. It's a close race with BG2 in the replay department. Although, I almost never finish the game. I just loved the massive world. There are tons of towns and fun quests to do. The original Fallout is classic, but there wasn't as much to do, so I always ended up playing Fallout 2.

I put Baldur's Gate as 5th for kind of the same reason I put Fallout under Fallout 2. Baldur's Gate had a great world and a cool story, but BG2 just had way more to do. BG was no slouch, but it was mostly dungeon crawling and exploring. I like NPC interaction a lot and there wasn't that much compared to the above games.

I've only beaten Arcanum once, but I've played it a few times. If a certain quest bugs out on me and I can't do it I end up quitting. The world is awesome, though. The combat is really bad, but the NPC interaction is high and there's tons of places and quests. It's a buggy piece of Troika shit, but if you ignore that then it's great.

Diablo 2 got this rank because I've spent so much time playing it. It's really the most addictive game I've played. With a maphack and a nice bot you almost never want to quit. It being a multiplayer game, it doesn't have the appealing aspects that the above games have. Barely any dialogue, not much of a world to explore, not very many quests. It's just so fun collecting stuff and becoming uber leet, though.

Bloodlines goes here, because it's a buggy piece of Troika shit. I love it. I replayed it four or five times. The design was great. The quests were cool. The dialogue was very entertaining. It was kind of short and the story was a bit disappointing. The combat was frustrating, but sometimes fun. If only Troika had better programmers...

I've just been playing Morrowind again. It's a huge world with tons of quests. The scale world is just really awesome. The dialogue is horrible, the main quest is meh, the combat is also meh. It's really fun, though. I like becoming the highest rank in every faction. If you do it in the right order then you can join all of them and one of the three houses. Telvanni, Redoran, or Hlaalu. You can eventually get your own house and that's always cool. I tried to collect every set of armor and rare items to decorate my house. I have screenshots of it somewhere. It's seriously lacking in the dialogue department and that's the only major complaint I have. Dialogue is a tremendously important aspect of a game to me, though.

Deus Ex is really fun. I've replayed it a bunch of times. The whole part about it basically being an FPS makes it a little meh. It has experience points and stats which is really cool for any game to have. You have a lot of choices for the ending which is great. It's not much of an RPG, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Gothic was only good until you joined a faction. Then it lost all the cool atmosphere and became a shitty dungeon romp complete with lever puzzles.

Gothic II is much, much, much, much better.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Well, I've certainly seen worse "Best RPG..." lists.

I think I'd have Wizardry 8 and Betrayal at Krondor in there, though.

Daggerfall probably has the best character creation system I've seen (which is why it is so sad to see the direction Bethesda has been taking), but the actual game I wasn't that fond of.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The list is moronic; but it befits that of the Codex Stalkers so go figure a perfect match.

R00fles!

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Why because NWN doesn't make the list?

It's the top ten BEST rpgs.

Not the ten WORST rpgs.

NWN would make that list for sure. :lol:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
No Betrayal at Krondor, no Darklands in the top 10. Besides that not bad at all :P
@Deacdo - i think Darklands had the best system, but the one in Daggerfall was nice too - and more complicated.

Jed

Cipher
Out of all the responses, NWN was mentioned only once. And even then it was the "..but the mods..." caveat.

sabishii

Arbiter
I don't understand how you all can replay RPGs. Because when I see and RPG the main reason I want to play is to find out what would happen, which doesn't work the second time around. And then half the time the RPG's already so repetitive halfway through the game because of combat or boring quests or whatever I quit because the motivation to get to the ending doesn't match the boredom and frustation I have at the moment. I have tried to replay games, for reasons such as trying out new characters, but the game doesn't seem "new" enough. For example in VtM: Bloodlines I try a different clan with the opposite skills, but I'm still unmotivated because everything else besides the combat (which isn't really much different) is all of the same thing from my first playthrough.

I'm not attacking anyone. I just want to know how to enjoy replaying RPGs, because if I can learn this skill perhaps I wouldn't be so fixated on finding new RPGs to play.

Edit: If I voted I would've put NWN on the list, simply because with the mods it equals a new game every time for many replayings. Obviously, none of the mods nor the official campaigns are each on par with any of the top tens, but there's enough of them that are decently fun (and since they're short, they never get to the point of boredom) that I've played through dozens of NWN mods.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Serus said:
No Betrayal at Krondor, no Darklands in the top 10. Besides that not bad at all :P
@Deacdo - i think Darklands had the best system, but the one in Daggerfall was nice too - and more complicated.
I don't think I ever played Darklands. I loved the complexity of Daggerfall's system. Seriously, how many RPGs let you create a character who can't handle iron or steel? :lol:

DorrieB

Liturgist
You know, great list. I never played Deus Ex, Daggerfall, or either of the Number Nines, but seeing them in that list makes me sure I've missed out.

But... nothing from before 1995?

I suppose I can understand that. Many of those games were great for their time, but don't compare so well to what's come after. Maybe in ten years' time this list will seem out of date too.

Does anyone remember an old game called 'Dragon Wars'? I remember it being my favourite, for some reason.

LlamaGod

Cipher
1. Fallout -okay

2. Planescape: Torment -too high

3. Fallout 2 -no

4. Arcanum - okay

5. Baldur’s Gate 2: Shadows of Amn -NO

6. Deus Ex -NO NO NO NO

7. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - NO NO

8. Ultima 7: The Black Gate // Baldur’s Gate -Why Baldur's Gate one? Ultima 6 or 4 should be on here too

9. System Shock 2 // Gothic 2 - System Shock 2 hurr, I like it alot, but people can be dumb about it.

10. Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall - FUCK YOU FOR PUTTING THIS ON HERE

After seeing this, I hate you all (or atleast most fo you). You guys like so many shitty games but claim to be RPG MASTARS (most of you atleast).

1. Fallout
2. Ultima 7
3. Arcanum
4. Ultima 4
5. Avernum 3

THATS IT, TURDS. Maybe Avernum 2 instead of 3, but one of those. And maybe Planescape instead of U4.

Planescape isnt nearly as good as people rate it. It's good but its not 'one of the best'.

Kraszu

Prophet
Naked_Lunch said:
What demo version did you download? The one at the official site is very outdated.

No i've got 1.4x, i am going to play darklands now enyway and then Rangers 2 (polish version is going to cost 10$).

Whot operation system you got? I've got xp sp2 on 2 pc and it crashed on them. I will instal win 98 and try it if got derpesed for a rpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom