Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tomb Raider 2013

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
As you said, the rest of the team stayed for TR2 - and it shows.
It is a very good game with lot of nice additions, that JarlFrank already mentioned - and on par with the first one IMHO.

Agreed

Don't see a big disparity

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It is a very good game with lot of nice additions, that JarlFrank already mentioned - and on par with the first one IMHO.
It is a good game with some great levels, but the tonal shift from TR1 and higher focus on combat are very noticeable.

I would blame that more on the publisher pushing for a sequel with more action than on conscious decisions by the dev team though.

Never noticed a big tonal shift from TR1 in TR2

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
It is a good game with some great levels, but the tonal shift from TR1 and higher focus on combat are very noticeable.

I would blame that more on the publisher pushing for a sequel with more action than on conscious decisions by the dev team though.

deaf

vs

Ash

Arcane
You have to play the first game to really understand Tomb Raider. It's unique, no other game in the series comes close (TR4 comes closest). Exploration in long forgotten ruins, completely alone... no other game captures the sense of isolation quite as well.

RE 2 comes close or maybe Silent Hill 1

Nigga put like 50 PS1 games in a hat and pick out at random. That system alone is one half of the peak (late 90s) of the golden age, the other half being PC of course. Nintendo were already in a slight state of decline at this point though credit to the moderate incline of their handheld systems and the N64 wasn't a bad system or catalogue overall, just definitely notably inferior. lastly RIP sega. Gayzi Taxi and Shenmue? GTFO here. No console will ever surpass the PS1, far too many legendary games. I could talk with just as much fondness and detail about TR as I could many other PS1 greats.

deaf

vs

this doesn't make any sense, sorry. TR2 had more atmospheric ambience than TR1. TR1 has "caves", whereas TR2 has approx 5 such tracks and if I recall it recycled caves also. Play teh game.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Where though I dont recall exactly. "The Deck" from the Maria Doria set of levels I think.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
I quit after venice so maybe it has some good stuff later idk but it has totally different vibe initially at least

Ash

Arcane
Yes Venice is very different, but things do get more tomby, isolated and spooky later from time to time. The dark, destitute and trap-infested opera house (lvl4) is the start of that and it kind of escalates from there. To me at least, each level has deep atmosphere and tone though, even Venice.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And yeah I too question Toby Gard's significance regarding the games overall design and vision, given his involvement with Anniversary in addition to that recent game he put out, which seemed like poop.

Hmm, credit where credit is due it seems. See below. I guess come Anniversary he had lost his way and was riding the same realism/story/graphics/sellout/decline train every dev was on.
Same brain rot that happened to many other developers, I'd guess.

A lot of people who made great games from the 80s to early 00s suddenly became casual decline enablers from the mid-00s onward due to how awed they were by the technology.

"Wow, these modern graphics look like a movie! So realistic! This is exactly how we envisioned our games back in the day!! Wow!"

The most radical example is Underworld Ascendant. Ex-Looking Glass people who had worked on Ultima Underworld, System Shock, and Thief, get together again after years of taking a break from the industry.
And they waste all their time playing around with Unity's modern design tools, awed at all the physics systems and high poly models that are possible.
The end result is an unfinished game that barely qualifies as a tech demo.

"Wow, technology has progressed so much, we're amazed, wow imagine what we would have done if this existed back in our day!" and then they just forget to design an actual game.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
And yeah I too question Toby Gard's significance regarding the games overall design and vision, given his involvement with Anniversary in addition to that recent game he put out, which seemed like poop.

Hmm, credit where credit is due it seems. See below. I guess come Anniversary he had lost his way and was riding the same realism/story/graphics/sellout/decline train every dev was on.
Same brain rot that happened to many other developers, I'd guess.

A lot of people who made great games from the 80s to early 00s suddenly became casual decline enablers from the mid-00s onward due to how awed they were by the technology.

"Wow, these modern graphics look like a movie! So realistic! This is exactly how we envisioned our games back in the day!! Wow!"

The most radical example is Underworld Ascendant. Ex-Looking Glass people who had worked on Ultima Underworld, System Shock, and Thief, get together again after years of taking a break from the industry.
And they waste all their time playing around with Unity's modern design tools, awed at all the physics systems and high poly models that are possible.
The end result is an unfinished game that barely qualifies as a tech demo.

"Wow, technology has progressed so much, we're amazed, wow imagine what we would have done if this existed back in our day!" and then they just forget to design an actual game.
More like they are just a bunch of hacks with overinflated egos.

racofer

Thread Incliner
It is laughable how automated most of this game is.
You know what's not automated?

Loading screens.
The game has no loading screens, instead you slowly squeeze your way through a narrow gap. And it's not a cutscene, you must actively hold down W to walk forward.

There's nothing I hate more than these loading screen masking sequences, because on a modern state of the art PC the loading screens would be over in 5 seconds. This way it always takes a minute.
84jdc2xv9q4.gif

Ash

Arcane
Regarding music: TR1 also has frantic classical music just like TR2's Venice, such as the encounters with Pierre.

Ultimately the soundtrack of 1-3 are all equally legendary. That Nathan guy is epic. Among the earliest game to use classical motifs, and still among the best to do so. I hate all the modern generic classical and orchestrated music in games and remakes, lacks the soul and nuance seen in earlier games like TR.

Best tracks:

TR1: Title theme.
TR2: Cradle to Grave
TR3: Puzzle element

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom