Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tomb Raider 2013

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
What about all the QTEs in combat and while falling or trying to hang on not to fall (while screaming annoyingly the whole time)? If you mean to imply that after the 1/3 mark there were no moments like these, you must have been playing a different game. Not to even mention all the events where you have to tap Q to turn valves, open drawbridges and doors, some of which also had time limits.

A lot of the gameplay features where not exactly QTEs but equally shallow nonetheless. For instance the part where Lara is trying to navigate the rapids - press right -> get impaled by a log, press left -> you're safe.

But I still finished the game so it wasn't all bad.
I define a QTE as "press X to not die" or something along those lines, i.e. a prompt that occurs during a normally non-interactive game sequence which is the barest interaction possible, and presents arbitrary rules (input, failure state, etc.) that isn't telegraphed in advance by the game or consistent with the rest of its mechanics and systems.

Reducing something like pressing a button to grab a ledge during a more complex gameplay sequence like platforming, or pressing left or right on the stick while dodging oncoming obstacles (with analog movement, not digital, I should note) to a QTE is, in my opinion, not especially convincing.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Games are popamole because they are for children and adults with the mental capacity of children.

Look at all these grown men wasting time on games. Go raid a tomb in real life fags.

Psquit

Arcane
games are popamole cause the controller is shit. its impossible to play games such as quake with a joystiq therefore they have to make games that are easy as fuck to play even with that they still need aim assist.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
games are popamole cause the controller is shit. its impossible to play games such as quake with a joystiq therefore they have to make games that are easy as fuck to play even with that they still need aim assist.

This is ignorant horse shit pre-teens often come out with. You do realise people played FPS with fucking keyboards right? Mouselook wasn't common place 'till 1996 or so.
Games are popamole nowadays because money. Hardcore gamers are a niche in comparison to the wider market: people that are very social and spend a few hours a week with their console and blind buy based on hype, and susceptible children that demand whatever is shovelware is marketed/shovelled down their throats.
It's just the way it is, and we should show our utmost support to passion driven developers who do not plan to sell out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemming42

Arcane
I played this ages ago after I got it on sale on Steam, and it pretty much left my memory the instant I finished the game (which I rushed to do, since it more-or-less sucked).

I wish they'd make a Real Tomb Raider™. Although going by my definition, the last Real Tomb Raider™ was TR3 back in like 1998 or whatever. Of the modern ones I hated Legend, Underworld and this one but I kinda liked Anniversary. Slightly rapey as a remake, but actually good as a standalone game. They should focus on doing that kind of thing.

Psquit

Arcane
This is ignorant horse shit pre-teens often come out with. You do realise people played FPS with fucking keyboards right? Mouselook wasn't common place 'till 1996 or so.
Games are popamole nowadays because money. Hardcore gamers are a niche in comparison to the wider market: people that are very social and spend a few hours a week with their console and blind buy based on hype, and susceptible children that demand whatever is shovelware is marketed/shovelled down their throats.
It's just the way it is, and we should show our utmost support to passion driven developers who do not plan to sell out.

Quake arena xbox 360

Quake arena pc

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Indeed. I think that anyone can get really good with a gamepad with enough practice, just that keyboard/mouse is what we are used to, and the learning curve for achieving a threshold of good play for the average user is probably lower than with a gamepad.

Gamepads also change the way you play games. You do not move or shoot in a shooter using a gamepad as you do using a mouse and keyboard. I think a big part of the "keyboard/mouse advantage" actually comes from PC users playing in a way that's more difficult for gamepad users to compensate for or familiar with, not necessarily because they are bad.

That said, I do think the upper threshold for level of play still favors keyboard/mouse.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
That said, I do think the upper threshold for level of play still favors keyboard/mouse.

It does, objectively, by a small but significant margin for shooters (because of the superior precision of the mouse). Pads are more suited to platformers and such, objectively, by a small margin because of the left stick (superior precision to WASD). That said, you do not have to design games to account for these minor differences. Hardcore platformers and hardcore shooters have existed on all platforms.

DemonKing

Arcane
Decided to Necro this thread as I just started a replay last night now I have a new graphics card and could pump up all the graphics to max and activate the hair FX.

Say what you like about the gameplay (which I like) but the graphical fidelity in this game is incredible, even 4 years later. One thing I've also appreciated is the way they've synced stuff like Lara's breathing to match what's happening on screen, so if she's doing something dangerous and/or exerting herself the breathing tempo and cadence changes - it's subtle but brilliantly done.

Also the various Lara death animations and accompanying SFX still rock.

Stella Brando

Arcane
I played this game but got stuck... I'm on the ship (Endurance?) when you use the mechanical rope-puller for the first time. I tried to pull a heavy weight held up by a small crane, but the crane arm moves and the weight itself does not... it just hangs in the air in defiance of gravity.

Has anyone seen this kind of problem or know what to do about it? I can't use fast travel from here.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I played this game but got stuck... I'm on the ship (Endurance?) when you use the mechanical rope-puller for the first time. I tried to pull a heavy weight held up by a small crane, but the crane arm moves and the weight itself does not... it just hangs in the air in defiance of gravity.

Has anyone seen this kind of problem or know what to do about it? I can't use fast travel from here.

Pretty sure it took me a minute to figure out what to do there as well, I think there's a trick to it. I don't remember what it was, but I don't think it's a glitch. Check a walkthrough.

Stella Brando

Arcane
It definitely seems like a glitch... the object is just hanging in the air with nothing to hold it up.

But I'll look into this more, in case you're right.

Story_cliffside_bunker_033.jpg

Story_cliffside_bunker_034.jpg

Story_cliffside_bunker_035.jpg

It's basically like this, except picture 3 doesn't happen. The crane pulls away, but the object it was apparently holding up stays behind. The object simply floats in the air with nothing propping it up.

With no heavy weight coming down, the doors in the floor aren't smashed open, and I cant continue with the game. :oops:

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
The trilogy got fucked in the ass and now you require an Epic account to play, even if you bought the games years ago.

So that sucks.

Hobknobling

Learned
Completed this over the weekend. What an utterly mediocre game. The "Overwhelmingly Positive" rating in Steam is a fucking joke.

The movement options are so dumbed down that it's an anchor around the game's neck. Maybe the original Tomb Raider tank controls deservedly went the way of the dinosaurs, but at least give me the option to sprint and crouch! It is laughable how automated most of this game is. The story is also really really bad and especially the character writing is extremely amateurish. Not a surprise, considering this was written by a Terry Pratchett's nepo-baby daughter and a friend of her's, who she probably met when they were writing filler dialogue for Bioshock. Completely talentless hacks. And the fucking cutscenes go on and on and on.

I can credit the game for pretty graphix (for the time) and nice sound design, but that is about it. Puzzles are bad in this game, but generally level design is alright despite that it really suffers from the braindead traversal mechanics.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is laughable how automated most of this game is.
You know what's not automated?

Loading screens.
The game has no loading screens, instead you slowly squeeze your way through a narrow gap. And it's not a cutscene, you must actively hold down W to walk forward.

There's nothing I hate more than these loading screen masking sequences, because on a modern state of the art PC the loading screens would be over in 5 seconds. This way it always takes a minute.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
TB2013 is basically a VN, but in the other two the puzzles are back plus there's more freedom and open areas and shit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is generally considered the worst of the new trilogy but I found it the best.

I don't care about the story one iota, only about the tomb exploration and puzzles, and in that aspect it delivered the most.

gabel

fork
Patron
console gamers are superior breed to pc peasants
No, retard.
The problem is not the hardware, it's the corporations and the retarded consoomers, consoletards as well as PCtards.
Example for PCtards are people who refuse to use any input device other than keyboard and mouse, even for racing or flyin sims, shmups, or games which profit from a game pad.
And it was PCtards who accepted Steam, way before digital distribution, i.e. paying to rent, was a thing on consoles.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
TB2013 is basically a VN, but in the other two the puzzles are back plus there's more freedom and open areas and shit.
I dislike all three of them. Can't think of any series whose untapped potential makes me sadder. No, the oldest Tomb Raider games weren't it. But I respect them much more (even though I only finished Tomb Raider II so far).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom