Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ToEE Win7 Troubles

J1M

Arcane
Does anyone know of a good guide to getting ToEE working correctly on Windows 7?

I thought I had it figured out with the help of some threads over at Co8 forum, but it has started crashing consistently at startup.

Was using Patch 3 and XP SP2 compatibility mode.

(Preferably a no-CD solution since I don't use one anymore.)

Gord

Arcane
The version I got from Gamestop/Impulse also works fine with the Co8 patch for me (Win7 64bit).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Try this:

Uninstall and delete the directory
Install game normally
apply patch1, then patch2, do NOT apply patch3
install latest Circle of Eight Modpack
set the resolution, save config
play

I have all available versions of the game and can confirm they work on W7 x64.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Even with all the tinkering and unofficial patches, it still crashes and generally malfunctions at the most inopportune times. I had a game rendered useless because when i resurrected a dead party member he came back as an invisible blob that couldn't be removed from the party, another time it crashed saving and corrupted the game, yet another it crashed because i apparently clicked too far into the map for the path finding routine to compute.

Awesome game... shitty developers.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
You are getting this error because you are using the horrendous, bug filled C08 patch.

Uninstall it immediately, because not only does this shitty weeaboo piece of crapware add items like Cloud's sword and Lulu's dolls to your inventory, and makes them mandatory to use, but it also overrides your Windows Registry so you keep getting SquareSoft and other jrpgs company ads whenever your browse the internet.

CO8 Patch: Avoid like the fucking plague.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
If you don't like Co8, for whatever reason, I would still patch only to patch 2 and then apply moebius2778's temple.dll fix.

Gord

Arcane
Nah, it's just his trolling OCD that's getting worse again lately. Don't mind him.

granit

Scholar
Gog release + CO8 worked fine, didn't need to do anything except press install. I did run into a bug where a character would get stuck in combat if it used a certain weapon. The workaround I found for that was: Right click the stuck characters portrait, have him drink a potion, right click character and have him use sneak.

I did not find any japanese things in my game, what's wrong with the CO8 patch? Apparently it fixes a trillion bugs.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I did not find any japanese things in my game, what's wrong with the CO8 patch? Apparently it fixes a trillion bugs.

The only "complaint" I have is certain liberal interpretations of dev-intent and rules, and non-official content even in the non-NC setup. They should release a Lite version, addressing bugs and bugs only, though since they've done such a splendid job over the years, I won't nag them to do it.

J1M

Arcane
You are getting this error because you are using the horrendous, bug filled C08 patch.

Uninstall it immediately, because not only does this shitty weeaboo piece of crapware add items like Cloud's sword and Lulu's dolls to your inventory, and makes them mandatory to use, but it also overrides your Windows Registry so you keep getting SquareSoft and other jrpgs company ads whenever your browse the internet.

CO8 Patch: Avoid like the fucking plague.
I have not installed Co8.

Gord

Arcane
Try it with Co8 then.
There are two versions, one with new content and one mostly without.
The latter one is pretty close to vanilla game. I didn't constantly stumble over Cloud's Swords in it either.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Andhaira just trolling like in any ToEE / Co8 thread. Co8 is an awesome mod. If you want to play vanilla, just apply the fixes. There is an install FAQ on their forums, indeed last time i checked, it said to do not install patch 3. Content mod adds some interesting encounters but imbalances the game even more, due to moar xp and OP loot (+5 AC shield at some point).

Bottom line: Mother Russia, shove cloud sword up your ass.

Lorica

Educated
Gog release + CO8 worked fine, didn't need to do anything except press install. I did run into a bug where a character would get stuck in combat if it used a certain weapon. The workaround I found for that was: Right click the stuck characters portrait, have him drink a potion, right click character and have him use sneak.

The little dipshit means this:
Q: What's this I heard about Cloud's Sword from FF7 / Sword of Life Stealing?

A: There is a hidden item called 'Sword of Life Stealing'. It's a +2 sword that drains a level on a critical hit and gives you 1d6 temporary HP. It's only available via console (type give 4154), and it was there in the vanilla game files.

The life-stealing property is bugged - it will insta-kill any monster without actual character levels (most non-human monsters are such) on a critical hit. Monsters with regeneration ability (such as Trolls) will cause further problems, too.

The Sword's model indeed looks like Cloud's sword from Final Fantasy.

Co8 has created the Guillotine Blade, which used the same model but was otherwise a regular greatsword (without the bugged Lifestealing property). It used to be available for purchase on the beginning shopmap, and was wielded by some critters in Verbobonc. It has since been removed from the game and can only be obtained via console.
(Co8 Forum FAQ)

J1M

Arcane
Andhaira just trolling like in any ToEE / Co8 thread. Co8 is an awesome mod. If you want to play vanilla, just apply the fixes. There is an install FAQ on their forums, indeed last time i checked, it said to do not install patch 3. Content mod adds some interesting encounters but imbalances the game even more, due to moar xp and OP loot (+5 AC shield at some point).

Bottom line: Mother Russia, shove cloud sword up your ass.

Thanks for the tip. I thought I would have to play with their extra content.

Things seemed like they were working at first, but once I tried to change the resolution I saw consistent startup crashes (and the game didn't even launch at the correct windowed resolution).

Been using the front-end launcher and such. Game crashes on every load now.

Guess I should just wait for Chaos Chronicles.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Have you played Knights of the Chalice?

I tried the demo. I wanted to like it, but the interface was a big stumbling point for me.

Interesting - i thought it was super fast paced: reasonable auto mode (like coup de grace, if possible), short cuts for everything.

On the other note - no ToEE sucks, BRO... Maybe try to reinstall or write on the Co8 forums. Also - their content is not bad, better (more entertaining) then troikas for sure.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Have you played Knights of the Chalice?

I tried the demo. I wanted to like it, but the interface was a big stumbling point for me.

Interesting - i thought it was super fast paced: reasonable auto mode (like coup de grace, if possible), short cuts for everything.

On the other note - no ToEE sucks, BRO... Maybe try to reinstall or write on the Co8 forums. Also - their content is not bad, better (more entertaining) then troikas for sure.
Yeah I also found the interface very easy to use. A lot of shortcuts, and IIRC the shortcuts info was very easy and quick to access, if it's not already shown to you on the main interface.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Things seemed like they were working at first, but once I tried to change the resolution I saw consistent startup crashes (and the game didn't even launch at the correct windowed resolution).

Been using the front-end launcher and such. Game crashes on every load now.

Guess I should just wait for Chaos Chronicles.

Try changing the resolution back to default in the launcher, then the game shouldn't crash. Load game, exit out, change the resolution to what you actually want in the launcher, and it should work fine. This worked for me when I had your problem, not sure what causes it, might be that the game needs to be run first in default before resolution can be changed.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Thanks Lilura, this solved my today's problem.

Also: I installed the Co8 7.9.0. patch "with no new content". But when I start the game, the party is in something like a shop. Is this normal?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also: I installed the Co8 7.9.0. patch "with no new content". But when I start the game, the party is in something like a shop. Is this normal?
Yes. This shop replaces predefined equipment for characters. Basically, you get a pool of money and buy your own stuff, like in Arcanum.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
But there's also a chest which seems to give you the predefined loot, but lets you keep the money. Is the idea that you should either use the chest or buy the loot?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is the idea that you should either use the chest or buy the loot?
Yes. But you should not be able to keep ALL the money if you use that chest, just get some spare change for initial expenses (as it was in the vanilla ToEE).

Of course if you can get the equipment AND keep the money (if so = probably a bug?), I would go for it. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom