Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titanfall 2

Gerrard

Arcane
So apparently they are making Titanfall 2.

Does anyone even remember that failure of a game?
Apparently the first one sold 10 million copies, so someone must have enjoyed it. :?
So apparently they are making Titanfall 2.

Does anyone even remember that failure of a game?
Well its the most fun multiplayer fps of the last decade but its ok you know
Last I heard the number of active players for it was below 5 digits. Out of 10 million? Pretty impressive.

I'm sure most of those suckers will still buy the second one though.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
That 10m is highly misleading,as the game was 5$ and part of that xbox monthly thing,plus had free weekends on PC.Also that is probably 10m players not sales.

Astral Rag

Arcane
fsyZKKy.jpg

Soulcucker

Savant
I played the beta last week. I liked it but some of the changes made the game worse off than the original, primarily the new rodeo mechanic and the maps in the beta were pretty weak for pilot movement. The playerbase was vocal enough that Respawn made some changes during the beta after people complained to them (upped pilot wall running speed and added Titanfall meter accumulation). Too much of the game was locked off to make a solid judgement of this game vs the original, though it looks like it will not be threadbare like the original when it comes to content.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
I haven't played the Titanfall 2 beta because it wasn't on PC (bad sign), but from the videos I've seen of it and my experience with the BF1 beta Titanfall 2 looks like the better game. I definitely won't buy BF1; I might play Titanfall 2.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember seeing multiplayer trailer for first Titanfall and thinking it looks pretty damn fun. Bought the game on a sale for 10$, started playing and then found out it has 6v6 player limit.

Heard this shit is the same, so not interested.

Gerrard

Arcane
I watched some videos of guys doing the time trial thing and the player character moves so slowly there is no possible explanation for the ability to run on walls besides shooting fire out his ass.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
First game was amazing, honest to God best fun I had in multiplayer FPS in a decade. It lacked staying power for some reason though, I got maybe 4-5 weeks out of it before I quit. But those 4-5 weeks were an absolute blast. Hopefully they'll fix whatever it was missing.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I remember seeing multiplayer trailer for first Titanfall and thinking it looks pretty damn fun. Bought the game on a sale for 10$, started playing and then found out it has 6v6 player limit.

Heard this shit is the same, so not interested.

Titanfall 2 max is 8v8... could be 12v12 atleast

But with lower number of players, like in counter strike 5v5, you have more impact on the play

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, this was released, but: http://www.pcgamer.com/ea-share-pri...ubstantially-disappointing-titanfall-2-sales/

EA share price dips in response to analyst predicting "substantially disappointing" Titanfall 2 sales
Maybe launching between Battlefield 1 and Infinite Warfare wasn't such a hot idea after all.

The general consensus seems to be that Titanfall 2 is very, very good. (We're still working on it, but the indications are very promising so far.) But as this CNBCreport makes clear, making a good game does not necessarily guarantee commensurate riches. Electronic Arts' share price dropped by more than four percent today, following analyst predictions that Titanfall 2 sales will come in far below what was expected.

"We are downgrading EA shares ... because we believe that Titanfall 2 sales are going to be substantially disappointing, enough to offset [the] upside from Battlefield 1," Cowen & Co. analyst Doug Creutz wrote in a note to clients. "We expect a correction in shares between now and early next year as we believe the stock is priced for upside to current Street consensus."

Cowen had initially predicted Titanfall 2 sales of nine million units, according to Gamespot, but has now downgraded that estimate to 5-6 million. That's a big drop-off, and not nearly enough to count as a success for a big-budget, triple-A release: Battlefield 1, by comparison, was projected to hit 14 million unit sales, an estimate that has now been boosted to 16.5 million.

The problem isn't apparently the game itself, but the timing of its release. EA's belief, as explained earlier this year by CEO Andrew Wilson, that Titanfall 2 sales wouldn't be cannibalized by its proximity to Battlefield 1because it appeals to a different sort of audience, was apparently off-base.

"We think the game got squeezed between Battlefield 1 and [Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare]," Creutz wrote. "We suspect EA believed that by launching two shooters next to Call of Duty it could put a large dent in its biggest competitor, but instead EA appears to have wound up shooting its own foot off."

Titanfall 2 producer Drew McCoy told PlayStation LifeStyle that he wasn't sure who was responsible for the decision to drop the game between the year's two biggest shooters, but said it was made "a long time ago," and that changing it wasn't an option. "We tried not to [worry] really," he said. "When you care about what other games are doing, when they’re releasing, [you worry]. At the end of the day, we’re releasing a game that we’re happy with, and we enjoy playing, that we’re proud of. As long as we’re doing that, I think we’re gonna find an audience. It doesn’t really matter when it comes out. A good game gets noticed."

That's true to a point, but when there are a whole bunch of good games all being crammed out the door at the same time, some of them are bound to be overlooked. At last check, EA's shares had bounced back slightly and were trading at $79.72, which is good if you're a shareholder. But the greater concern for gamers is, if Titanfall 2 does underperform as badly as Cowen predicts, the likelihood of Titanfall 3 very suddenly becomes a lot less certain.

Gerrard

Arcane
Notice how they decided to release it between BF and CoD. Again.

Soulcucker

Savant
Yeah I have been playing it, it is pretty good.

Multiplayer feels like one step forward one step backwards in many ways. The maps are a mixed bag, some maps have that TF1 feel where you can constantly chain jumps while others seem to put road blocks in various path or have large sections with little to wall jump on. Also the maps feel somewhat over designed compared to TF1 in that they are all designed around lanes where as in TF1 they had a ring + open area design. I prefer the Titans in this game where each one has a fixed loadout with a few tweak since it force the player to learn each Titan, will be good when they balance the meta (40mm is OP again). Pilot abilities are more plentiful and are useful outside of stim this time around, but some are pretty cheap (this game has the cheapest version of cloak I have ever seen).

Singleplayer is good and even creative, but way too short (4 hours).

Hopefully it lives and gets a lot of post launch support, PC population was hovering at 3-4 thousand lastnight.

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Single player is fun but short. Combined with remarkable level design, it's 3D shooter platformer. Story is not something to write about but player and titan interactions were designed great. I don't understand EA release window with BF1. T2 single player is far better than BF1.
No wonder ME Andromeda is not in the spotlight of EA marketing. They want to give BF1 and T2 as much attention as possible post launch.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lets make a sequel to a multiplayer game whose servers were empty month after launch.

Then lets release the game just as two biggest franchises in the same genre are also launching their new games.

What could possibly go wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom