Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Nah Alastor has high physical damage resistance, if you can imbue a green or yellow weapon with a Essence of Prometheus' Flames (or simply find one with a decent bonus fire/cold/lightning damage etc) or craft an Artifact that grants some elemental damage, you'll be able to beat him easily.

rezaf

Cipher
That's a thing I hate about TQ, it relies on such stupid stunts. Now, that's no longer so bad once you have established a stash of fallback resistance and damage items, but in the first playthrough...

I can't put my finger on it, but some things just feel wrong. I'll take your word for it with Alastor, but in general I think (for normal difficulty) it's often such a vast difference - one boss can almost one-hit-kill you (and in higher difficulties they will do just that), the next falls quicker than a trashmob, the next has trouble damaging you but takes minutes to grind down ...
Especially once they do lightning damage it's not all that different in Diablo I guess, but in TQ it feels so much more extreme.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The Anniversary Edition has 'wonkier' difficulty, I think in general it's a bit harder but that's not a bad thing IMO. Titan Quest does pretty much devolve into a most things can't hurt you, some mobs hit super hard and for some bosses you need certain resistances to avoid one shot kill. That's just how it is.

In normal difficulty I don't usually have a problem until the Neanderthal with the snowball storm.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Bloated One (albino spider) from Act 4 is my "favorite" boss in that regard. You blink and you die.

are you playing with the update from Thq Nordic ? The update appears to have noticeably increased the frequency of finding rarer items, I also think the side areas found every so often have a good chance of a blue item
Yea, it's not like I don't get any uniques, I just get nothing for my build. And it's so random. Occasionally a mage mob would drop a green mage staff or bow monsters from Elysium unique bows, but mostly I got warrior items and they often repeated themselves (3 Wrath of Ares wtf).
Not that I believe I should get *perfect* drops on systemic level, but sometimes I wish these action RPGs would depend a lot more on crafting your own items instead (in a way that makes sense, not like Horadric Cube).

Sensuki

Arcane
Well that's new, one shotted by Hades straight off the bat at the end of Normal. Welp.

edit: think I got unlucky and didn't dodge any of the multi-hits of his red ball of death, that's literally never happened to me before. Second go and he goes down like a sack of shit.

10 deaths in normal, not very good.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
Playing the new version too. Disappointed that there isn't any new content but hopeful that will come through the modding community.

It's obvious that they are patching up the game before they start working on payed DLC. They want to earn community trust before they start selling them more content. Makes sense.

Anyway, I loved TQ+Exp, finished it a few times back in the day. Best tactic for all characters was to have a ranged weapon as backup (melee as primary). Spawning pets is a good one too. I used to just attack with ranged while my pet engaged them, then jump into combat to end it. Game was fun.

But now I have to finish Grim Dawn sooo..

Sensuki

Arcane
but mostly I got warrior items and they often repeated themselves (3 Wrath of Ares wtf).
Not that I believe I should get *perfect* drops on systemic level, but sometimes I wish these action RPGs would depend a lot more on crafting your own items instead (in a way that makes sense, not like Horadric Cube).

I think in the original there was a bug with the loot tables causing this stuff, the increase in drop rate seems to exacerbate it. I've got a few double rare items from the same area. Got two Earthen Barrier shields literally from the same fight, and two of The Frail ring, but not on the same enemy or session. There was some RNG fix that I tried a few times, but I couldn't decide whether I liked it better or not, I don't think it works for the AE yet (?).

Aothan

Magister
my character is using the Earthen barrier shield, great for the level range at which it was found. Sabertooth is a constant in any game I play so I'm guessing that particular item is almost always generated in some areas

rezaf

Cipher
I don't have any of the legendaries you guys mentioned, but I'm also only starting act 3 and you didn't mention when you got them.
I do however use the Obsidian set, which I remember having on one of my chars back in the day as well.

It's been so long since I last played TQ, but I seem to remember farming some bosses for items eventually, and also my first an major complaint about the game was that it took too damn long to get a worthwile drop. Feels like the overall droprate is indeed improved, but it still takes hours and hours of playing before something drops you will actually replace one of the items you're currently using with as soon as you have a full set of useful ones.
How does that work for you guys?

Sensuki

Arcane
It's random. I've played TQ through many times. Some runs I've found absolutely fuck all uniques and some I've found quite a few. One of the things that makes it a bit easier is twinking and TQVault if you use that.

I had a previous TQ:IT char from last year in my current saves and I used 3-4 items from that one over my Normal run that I just completed - some relics and a couple of items, including my current Legendary sword (as I did not find anything better in my AE run yet).

I got a legendary amulet in the first cave in Epic Difficulty that's probably better than any amulet I've ever found, so I'm off to a good start !

Aothan

Magister
there have always been modifications to change the appearance of characters, there was also a very obscure Chinese mod for weapons to be changed into a large size but I don't think there are any two-handed types available

the battle with Typhon was different from what I remember, and this time both of us stood behind statues for about fifteen minutes. Which probably means some of the a.i. or design changes have produced unintended effects, because a melee character trying to overcome one of Typhon's abilities is going to find that very difficult to surmount whilst healing around the meteors and everything else

Sensuki

Arcane
New update a couple days ago.

23rd September 2016
+ Added support for Borderless window mode. Use -borderless as command line parameter
+ Added more detailed crash reporting
+ Reduced amount of files and size for save games by 80%. Steam cloud should work much faster now,
- Fixed possible startup crash related to missing system fonts
- Fixed bug in "Double Standard" achievement
- Fixed "xtagMenuError1" when using Editor
- Improved some deatils in european languages
- Fixed chinese Onslaught description
- Bigger UI for 3k resolutions when using High scale option
- Fixed bug, where actual server name could be different than the one displayed while creating a game.
- Fixed bug, where Eye of Chaos was not dropping when game speed was above normal
- Creeping Slimes now absorb 75% Piercing Damage rather than having 80% Resistance
- Fixed residual poison resistances on Undead
- Gorgon Queens flee less and move at increased speed when they do
+ Gorgon Queen Stheno occasionally charges
- Lowered Elemental Resistance on Bandari
- Lowered Mana Regeneration on Alastor
- Tweaked Alastor AI
- Changed Typhon's Life/Mana Leech skills to not hit behind him
- Changed Typhon's fire breath to use a wave effect
+ Improved effect on Typhon's poison bolt and added a 1m explosion radius
- Halved Bleeding Duration on Yaoguai's individual Gore combo hits
- Lowered Sickle of Kronos level requirement to 73
+ Added a new type of wraith
- Fixed missing sound on Sepulchral Wyrms' new fire breath
- Lowered volume of Battle Rage activation
- Tweaked Limos life stealing range
+ Circle of Power now also grants +100% to Bleeding Damage
- Reduced cast range of Herbalism
- Increased cast range of Lay Trap
- Minkah (Shadow Stalker Hero) does not teleport quite as much
- Vince is now a champion rather than a quest monster and casts more often
+ Boar Riders have a chance to drop Boar's Hide
- Boar's Hide now grants only half as much armor but 10%/20%/30% Bleeding Resistance
- Suffix "of the Wilds" now also grants 24% Bleeding Resistance
- Fixed some element resistances being too low on high level amulets
+ Amulets can now drop with Poison Resistance prefixes
+ Added new Relic: Aegis of Athena (Vitality and Petrification Resistance for Shields)
- Increased Vitality Resistance on Crystal of Erebus charms
- Numerous Relics and Charms can now get Vitality and Bleeding Resistance completion bonuses
- Increased Epic/Legendary XP bonus to 12% and 25%

Aothan

Magister
- Creeping Slimes now absorb 75% Piercing Damage rather than having 80% Resistance

well that explains their near immunity

- Lowered Sickle of Kronos level requirement to 73

I found this on my level 38 character, I think the level requirements are 74 or 75 so I'm unsure what this changes but the sickle also requires 3000 strength and 1000 intelligence

Durwyn

Prophet
Doing heroic difficulty now and I'm starting to rush through piles of enemies just to reach another boss whom may yield me some better equipement. Trash mobs become nothing more than boring HP bloats, don't remind them being this way before anniversary edition. My build still feels slightly overpowered (earth/dream, died once to automaton legendary boss just before labyrynth) and starting to burn out all will to play more. Slightly rised rare item drop rates doesn't help much as bosses and heroes are still too repetitive to make the hustle interesting. I'm still deluding myself that reaching egypt will make things interesting for a while.

Aothan

Magister
I've been thinking along a related idea that as the challenge escalates the experience you mention is probably a result of the usual differences between ranged and melee, my character progression is very satisfying for now because every level requires judicious selection of defensive abilities and gradually improved skills which helps with standard encounters but also underscores the increasing difficulty. It is a good balance of difficulty even for standard encounters where now my character has to expediently utilise their defensive abilities, and properly roster skills to ensure enemies are slowed, focused first, have reduced armour and so on

but conversely if I were ranged, my character standing on one side of the screen and focusing down with a good deal less involvement, that difference probably would have made the starting areas more enjoyable if only because (I don't know if this is specifically stated anywhere) the character's innate speed increases with levels, which has the conspicuous effect of making the start feel a bit slow for an arpg

I still would not mind making a range character, but I'm not much of a dedicated caster as a rule and have played my Ranger character before

that said this character will have to advance in levels before continuing much further into higher stages of difficulty, even standard groups when engaged in melee range can generate a lot of damage and there does not seem to be any sudden changes in overall defensive capabilities besides a combined effect of additional levels and further improvements to armour. I might if it comes to it 'resort' to taking Heart of Frost but before then will reluctantly change out some lower armoured items that have useful properties to see if an increase in armour and focus on Defensive Ability helps

Raziel

Educated
I recently played through normal for the nostalgia, and it was pretty miserable. Went storm and then into rogue for some reason. Sword+shield & buffs. Build was so shitty I had to switch to bow&kiting on a lot of bosses in latter acts.

Anyway, was it just my shitty build or are there some serious issues with the variable difficulty? First two acts were more or less a cakewalk. But then act 3 just ramps up on the damage of mobs, everything still died fast but so did I. And then in Act5 when I fought the first machae, I'd usually get two-shotted. Had pretty meh gear, some uniques but most of it was low level greens.

Is playing melee without going offense or defense even viable? It's been years since I've played, and from what I remember most builds that revolved around defense got to legendary pretty easily. Offense/defense & offense/rogue being super strong.

Also had a buddy playing nature/dream and he had similar issues. Act 1&2 easy, act 3-4-5 things start doing a lot of damage. Pets did get buffed a lot afaik, vanilla nature builds were usually garbage.

rezaf

Cipher
Is playing melee without going offense or defense even viable?

I've recently reached Typhon and I'm not sure melee is viable even with offense or defense (I'm offense). I can maybe hit him twice before being forced to back off to avoid one of his constant special attacks, and even if I see his health bar budge a tiny bit, he regenerates back to full health with the statue in an instant.
It was a horrible grind to beat him melee back in the olden days when you could still destroy his statues, which retard thought it necessary to make the fight several times harder on top?
The wiki once again suggests cheesing him with a bow, but I don't think I want to invest the time.

Sensuki

Arcane
Really? My character dropped Typhon super easy. You just have to not hit him when his thorns are up.

Typhon doesn't have statues tho IIRC...

Aothan

Magister
Went storm and then into rogue for some reason.

the numerous changes have produced an 'all things new' status for the game concerning mechanics, playability and challenge. I think most or at least more than a few melee classes are going to find some battles nigh impossible and speaking as someone who also uses Storm mastery it is very much a supplementary skillset for melee characters. Powerful spells and abilities but not all are recommended for skill point investment requirements at the start, in retrospect I would have stayed in Defence until about level 30 and then transitioned into Storm (or started with Storm as a caster and then changed back into melee around level 40)

Is playing melee without going offense or defense even viable?

practically speaking probably not, if you have items and enough familiarity with game mechanics you might be able to boost OA or DA to sufficient levels, but it is not the same level and challenge progression as before, melee characters need to be built with some finesse and preparation. There is also the Dodge ability which the Rogue has that may (or may not) stack with items that also have a chance to dodge attacks

Last edited:

Aothan

Magister
The wiki once again suggests cheesing him with a bow, but I don't think I want to invest the time.

you could try purchasing a few scrolls to facilitate the process, as general tactics go

melee cannot overcome Typhon's regeneration, and as it so happen Typhon will stay next to the Kronos statue indefinitely, in turn you can get a bow and stand just below the Zeus statue and move back every few shots so that the regeneration ability cannot be used

then new challenges follow in the next act ..

I'm playing it on Android and having a blast. I didn't play it back in the day, now I can make a comparison between Grim Dawn and Titan Quest.
Jesus Christ they even launched Sanitarium on mobile. Such good times!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom