Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan: Blizzard's cancelled MMO.

J1M

Arcane
Victorian setting.

Werewolves, vampires, and witch hunters in steampunk tophats.

Modern wow technology for grouping and phasing and dynamic server consolidation/expansion will feature prominently.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I just hope they realize that in a post-economic-collapse world shit like monthly subscription model wont fly. Especially considering that asking costumers to dish out the same amount of money for a game that has 1/10th of WoW's content is stupid.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
HEUHEUHDIUHIUDHIUSHDUHSDUISHDIUSHDUSHDUSHUDHSI, nice one...

The most they'll probably do is offer a discount for those paying WoW & Titan at the same time...

abija

Prophet
It's pretty amazing to me that with a team of 100+ ppl working on this since 2009 and still nothing has leaked.

Sure they have NDAs and shit, but programmers and developers of all people surely know how to post on message boards without being traced and found out.
As proven by the D3 team...

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013

The most they'll probably do is offer a discount for those paying WoW & Titan at the same time...

Who the heck could have enough time on their hands to play two MMOs properly?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It would be fucking hilarious if it was another Hero Engine run-of-the-mill loot piñata-fest for dumbfucks. "But in a sci-fi setting"

Gerrard

Arcane
Blizzard?

Fuck those losers.

It's going to be free to play.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I believe they've already said it will be a new IP. I also read somewhere that it was sort of an FPS MMO. Either way, Blizzard is pretty much dead to me. WoW has been dying a slow death (quality-wise) for years but Mists absolutely killed it. D3 speaks for itself. Never really cared for Starcraft. The people that made the quality Blizzard games of the past are long gone and have been replaced by a bunch of morons. Company got too successful for its own good.

Norfleet

It's pretty amazing to me that with a team of 100+ ppl working on this since 2009 and still nothing has leaked.
Why's this surprising? They haven't done anything yet. Since there is no actual game, what is there to "leak"? In fact, you're the only person I've heard even mention anything. Personally, I'm not sure if this isn't something YOU made up. There is not, after all, an actual game anywhere, and since you're the first person I've heard say anything and you're not Blizzard, it doesn't even qualify as propaganda...just random nonsense from YOU.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Why's this surprising? They haven't done anything yet. Since there is no actual game, what is there to "leak"? In fact, you're the only person I've heard even mention anything. Personally, I'm not sure if this isn't something YOU made up. There is not, after all, an actual game anywhere, and since you're the first person I've heard say anything and you're not Blizzard, it doesn't even qualify as propaganda...just random nonsense from YOU.

:retarded:

The game is already in a playable state. This is confirmed by factual sources. Jewgle it.

Metro: Yah, I read it was FPS derived. Which I can understand, as FPS sell way more than RPGs and thus it would make sense to make a FPS based MMO to cater to the retarded FPS crowd. Not sure why no one ever did this yet. This does mean ofcourse, the game will either be Sci Fi or modern times based, as it is not possible to have guns blazing in a medieval inspired world.

To be honest regarding ur opinion on Blizzard, it was shit long, long ago. They only made 2 great games: Diablo and Warcraft (which was a rip off of dune, but a well done one). Warcraft was ruined by Warcraft 2, which was shit. I much preferred the simplicity of WC 1, only thing that could have improved it was Hero units. Diablo I loathe for what it did to the cRPG genre, but that was going down the shitter anyway, as the shift away from turnbased would still have happened. But I can appreciate Diablo as a game, it was very simplistic and had very few character optimization options, but it had immense flavor. Playing as a sorceror was quite satisfying.

After WC2 came Starcraft, but that never interested me. Then came Diablo 2, and after I had eagerly installed it (i still had fond memories of Diablo 1, despite hating what it did to the crpg genre) and was looking forward to a quick pick me up campaign with me slaughtering scary demons and wonderfully weird looking bosses. Plus, I was quite excited that there was a nekromancer class, something that had never been done before properly in any rpg like game. Imagine my disappointment when I booted that bitch up, and everything was warm and sunny and airy. I played for a couple of days/weeks but the atmosphere was always sunny like, even in caverns. Gone was the atmosphere and gothicness of Diablo, the thing which made the game stand apart. Instead of replicating that and improving on that, the dumbfucks only focused on the characters and skill trees. While not a bad idea by itself, it should not have been done at the expense of the atmosphere of the setting. To add insult, the skill trees were subpar as well. Too much focus was on min maxing...developers should realize that in any rpg type game, or heck any game, they should never make skills that can go up to infinity. There should always be a cap...else it sucks the fun out of the game as the player is torn by pointless decisions.

Anyhow, I knew Blizzard was finished after that. I never gave a shit about WoW and haven't played nor will play D3. The original owners who made Blizzard had already sold their company well before WoW came out for a large sum, so I am sure they were happy (and they deserved it I guess for the successful run they had) though I don't think they had any idea of how much successful WoW would be...had they not sold they would have made more money and would still own the company and have the potential to make much much more.

It is sad, watching these companies rise from nothing, and then turn to utter shit due to greed, and try to shift ppl's perceptions of what a genre should be. Bioware especially comes to mind. I am kind of glad they are a shadow of what they were, and hopefully will be put out of their misery eventually. TOR was shit, I can tell from the info I have gleaned. It's not Star Wars. Force Users especially got shafted bad. The story is utter shit. Playing a Sith class automatically means incredibly stupid and childish dialogues and actions (it's like, they only saw Vader and completely ignored Sidious and Tyrannus)

Syl

Cipher
Let's google this shit.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/titan-blizzards-new-mmo.55759/
Another codex thread started by Andhaira :roll:

https://twitter.com/Rob_Pardo/status/184762819634413568
Rob Pardo @Rob_Pardo in March 2012

just got to do a playtest in Titan - pretty rough still, but lots of fun too!

Everything we know is there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(Blizzard_Entertainment_project)
Titan (Blizzard Entertainment project)

Titan is the project name for a massively multiplayer online game (MMO) being developed by Blizzard Entertainment. Speculation regarding the game began in 2007. The company has revealed little information about the game besides that it is completely new and that the developers achieved a playable version in 2011.

Development

In 2007, users on a Blizzard Internet forum speculated that the game was in development after the company published job listings for character and environment artists to work on a "Next-Gen MMO" that was "Top Secret." A Blizzard community representative confirmed that the postings were for an unannounced game that was not an expansion for World of Warcraft.[1] Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick, Blizzard COO Paul Sams, and Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime all verified that it was a new game in 2008.[2][3][4][5] A confidential project schedule was released without the company's consent in November 2010. It showed a project titled "Titan" with a release date in the fourth quarter of 2013. Blizzard China's general manager either resigned or was terminated after the leak.[6]

At the 2010 Spike Video Game Awards, Blizzard co-founder Frank Pearce told gaming blog Destructoid that the studio had begun talking about the title as a recruitment tool.[7] Morhaime spoke of the game in broad terms during a panel discussion at the 2011 D.I.C.E. Summit. He said that the company had its most experienced MMO developers working on the project. He explained that they were using lessons from the years of working on World of Warcraft, and he also emphasized the significance of players gaming with people they know as opposed to strangers. Morhaime believes that World of Warcraft and Titan, upon its release, will be able to co-exist on the market.[8] He had made a similar statement in 2008 when he told Wired magazine that the game would be so different that it would not compete.[9]

In an interview with Gamasutra in March 2011, Sams, revealed that the game was playable and laid out a vision for the project to "still be growing strong" in 10, 15 or 20 years, having "set a new mark in the industry."[10] By September 2012, development had grown from small teams focusing on concepts to a team of over 100 people. Blizzard vice president of game design Rob Pardo said that the game was "in the middle of development at this point."[11]

Everything else is speculation. I like this though: Blizzard. Titan. What genre is the New Blizzard MMO?

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Interdasting.

I had forgotten all about this thread. It appears it was I, ANDHAIRA, to be the first to post real news about Titan on the 'dex.

So, latest info seems to validate my post in the OP. The game will be FPS derived, thus lending credibility to the fact that it could be set on a future earth. Still the concept could certainly have...'evolved' over the time that passed.

Xavier0889

Learned
Sounds like a facebook game.
IMHO there's no difference between the mindset of the MMO player and the Facebook user.
The only good thing to ever happen inside any MMO was the death of Lord British. I laugh every time I imagine RG's reaction to his own virtual death.

Syl

Cipher
Interdasting.

I had forgotten all about this thread. It appears it was I, ANDHAIRA, to be the first to post real news about Titan on the 'dex.

So, latest info seems to validate my post in the OP. The game will be FPS derived, thus lending credibility to the fact that it could be set on a future earth. Still the concept could certainly have...'evolved' over the time that passed.

Don't praise yourself too soon, Andy. There is no source anywhere on the net for the text you quoted back in Feb 2011. It is most likely speculation, if not a complete hoax.

As for the FPS part, it's a rumor, with very little basis for it. It was reported that "a large portion of the development staff" of a studio known exclusively for FPS games was hired by Blizzard. The studio later said it was only one person. And that's it. So yeah, pure speculation once again.

Which leads to:
Exactly my thoughts. Blizzard must have some crazy military organisation.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
So WoW 2 with romancable NPCs, real cash shops, monthly subscription, and whole leveling will be railroaded, no world pvp and 95% of the world will be gank-proff zone.
Plus space dragons invasion from outer space which their purpose is beyond our comprahension, because it's time to innovate and fortify lore for old players and new, big playerbase from our beloved xbox users. 10 new furry races in scanty bikinis.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think I have any respect left for Blizzard. And that's fucking impressive, because from Starcraft to WoW any game they released would be a day 1 purchase for me.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, probably a Starcraft spinoff. They could lead up to it with the next two expansions gradually. If it is though, it might actually have new mechanics, because I can't quite see a Zerg Paladin.

Bony

Learned
Queued
In cannot be a SC spinoff because it would not be a new IP.

Angthoron

Arcane
In cannot be a SC spinoff because it would not be a new IP.
Above links claim it's a spin-off and not a purely new IP. I don't really care either way, to be honest, a good game is good no matter the IP (unless Twilight), while a bad game will be shit no matter what Star Wars title it'll be having.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom