Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tips for first time playing KotOR?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not very familiar with Star Wars in general, aside from what I've picked up in passing, but since the game is set 4000 years before the movies I thought I'd give it a go

Anyway, I picked scout and my stats are as follows
XGXXJ4O.jpg

Aside from that I've been taking the recommended skills except for 2 points into persuade. For feats I've been focusing on rifle ability.

Anything I should know? Persuade seems like an important skill, is there a reason it's not being recommended? AM I fucked if I ignore jedi/force powers?

Walden

Savant
Scout is the worst class. You can just max out your companions skills such as computer, demolitions, repair etc.. all your character needs is persuade and treat injury, so you don't have to spend points in intelligence.
Then it's up to you, if you want a more combat oriented pg(soldier) or a force one(consular), though consular can do both as well if you get one perk to calculate melee damage from dexterity.
Sadly there's not such a need to overthink too much because game is goddamn simple.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
I'm going to give it a chance. What's so bad about it?
The MMO/RTwP combat, quests, Bioware writing, environments, trashmobs, mini-games, general timewasting, and irrelevance of character building. If you don't care about Star Wars and you do care about character creation and development, don't go in expecting a personal classic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh don't listen to him, it's an important game to play once just to understand the history of RPGs in the 2000s.

Only really important thing to know for character building is that you're going to become a Jedi later on (with a powerful lightsaber) so your gun skills might end up going to waste.

donkeymong

Scholar
Scout is the worst class. You can just max out your companions skills such as computer, demolitions, repair etc.. all your character needs is persuade and treat injury, so you don't have to spend points in intelligence.
Then it's up to you, if you want a more combat oriented pg(soldier) or a force one(consular), though consular can do both as well if you get one perk to calculate melee damage from dexterity.
Sadly there's not such a need to overthink too much because game is goddamn simple.
I disagree. Implant feat for free and good saving throws.And repair is needed for additional dialog from Hk-47.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Eh don't listen to him, it's an important game to play once just to understand the history of RPGs in the 2000s.

Only really important thing to know for character building is that you're going to become a Jedi later on (with a powerful lightsaber) so your gun skills might end up going to waste.

It's an important step in appreciating what people mean when they decry the decline and in burning out on cRPGs, I'll grant you that, but I assumed he wanted to have fun first and despair second.

Rev

Arcane
As Walden said, Scout is not a very effective class, especially compared to Soldier.
Also since you don't start as a Jedi and there is a level cap, you'll never be as good as a Jedi Consular as Jolee will be (or as you will be in KotOR II), you'll have less Force points and less Force powers to choose from.
If you go full-melee you might take advantage of the Soldier's bonus of getting one perk per level and be actually very good (OP) with the lightsaber later on. Bosses also have high resistance to Force powers while very easy to defeat if you are good in combat.
Not that all these advices are that important, since KotOR is extremely easy even on the hardest difficulty.

By the way, KotOR II has deeper characters and themes, but the first is still a good game if you like a traditional SW story.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can actually not level up at all all the way up to becoming a Jedi and have all your levels be in the Jedi class you chose. Also, just play KotOR2, 1 is ...inconsequential.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since I was only like 30 minutes in I started again and went with a soldier build and put some points into persuade and empathy. If I'm going to be given a lightsaber (they're pretty rare in the lore I think?) then I might as well spec to use it. And yea, the advice about using party members for most skills makes a lot of sense, now that I know I can just zip back to my base from the map screen to grab people I need.

Thanks guys

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can use guns as a Jedi, you aren't forbidden to, but I've never done it (neither in 1 nor 2), so I have no idea what that entails.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
not level up at all all the way up to becoming a Jedi and have all your levels be in the Jedi class you chose

Sounds sensible. I think I'll do that.

Even if the game is dogshit like some of you are saying I want to find out for myself. The combat does seem very bland, but how fucking bad can the story be? :lol: I played like 5 hours of DA: Inquisition before bailing so I'll give this a chance

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's not terrible, but it's the Bioware formula all over again and 2 is just so much better that it overshadows 1 and makes it almost obsolete. In that context the only redeeming feature is you knowing about Revan for when you play 2, it's not mandatory, but it slightly strengthens Kreia's arguments.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Since I was only like 30 minutes in I started again and went with a soldier build and put some points into persuade and empathy. If I'm going to be given a lightsaber (they're pretty rare in the lore I think?) then I might as well spec to use it. And yea, the advice about using party members for most skills makes a lot of sense, now that I know I can just zip back to my base from the map screen to grab people I need.

Thanks guys

Keep in mind that the melee feats are not used for lightsaber combat so don't take them if you lvl up before become a jedi. You should not use any feats on any weapon or armor skills.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's not terrible, but it's the Bioware formula all over again and 2 is just so much better that it overshadows 1 and makes it almost obsolete. In that context the only redeeming feature is you knowing about Revan for when you play 2, it's not mandatory, but it slightly strengthens Kreia's arguments.
It's probably the earliest complete crystallization of the in-your-face Bioware binary morality dialogue system.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's probably the earliest complete crystallization of the in-your-face Bioware binary morality dialogue system.

The problem was the binary morality in SW in general, Bioware didn't invent the Light and Dark Side, so I think they felt forced to conform to that. The true issue, however, is that the light and dark side are synonymous with good and evil instead of opposing ideologies, so that's how it is.

Fuck it, reinstalling KotOR2.

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
Enjoy it, if for nothing else, then so you can enjoy the full glory of Kotor 2 after this.

As other pplz mentioned, you become a Jedi later in the game (no gunz skillz man!), but, due to extremely low level cap (20), you might actually wanna hold up leveling. The beginning of the game really isnt hard in any way or form, and I'd advise you not to level up past lvl 5 at least (do everything you'd do, just dont press the "level up" button). Tho lvl 2,3, or 4 is certainly doable, no need to powergame that much on your first try. Heck, perhaps you wouldnt mind leveling as much as you can (i think i usually have enough xp for lvl 8 by the time i become a jedi), but i knwo a lot people who were extremely disappointed by this mechanism, and felt punished for doing all sidequests in the beginning.

Ninjerk

Arcane

The problem was the binary morality in SW in general, Bioware didn't invent the Light and Dark Side, so I think they felt forced to conform to that. The true issue, however, is that the light and dark side are synonymous with good and evil instead of opposing ideologies, so that's how it is.

Fuck it, reinstalling KotOR2.
As I recall, the dark side choices in KotOR lay upon a pretty narrow moral axis (whereas even the prequel films tried for a bit more nuance).

Lacrymas

Arcane
As I recall, the dark side choices in KotOR lay upon a pretty narrow moral axis (whereas even the prequel films tried for a bit more nuance).

Oh, yeah, definitely, it was all asshole all the time when playing Dark Side. The story somehow wasn't tailored for dark siders either, like, at all. Baldur's Gate has this problem as well, where the whole game is structured with a goody-two-shoes in mind and if you want to be a villain you have to skip most quests because they don't allow for multiple solutions (but when they do, they are delicious, like making that guy pay for his dead son's necklace) and skipping xp, thus being weaker. Anyway, binary morality, the game judges your actions as dark or light side, which is always in bad taste and which I think is the worst problem with morality meters in general (apart from everything else). Somehow the game can dispense objective judgement, which is weird and betrays the writer's own conception of morality. I.e. it's obviously decline and forces a certain narrative structure and "flow".

Shadenuat

Arcane
Scout is actually OK, good saving throws, Flurry at the beginning and "free" implant skills up to level 3. It's fun to play for first time because you do something else but whacking everything with lightsabre.

Parabalus

Arcane
You can dump-stat everything and put INT to 18 safely. The combat is very easy no matter what and this way you can have fun with skills, a bit more pertinent for Kotor2 though.

cruelio

Savant
It doesn't matter what your stats are or what you character class is. Pick the dual wield and flurry feats and get master knight speed and you'll shred everything. Enjoy the Bioware writing and morality meter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom