Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read Time for some fucking Junji Ito motherfuckers: Let's Read Spiral

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
So, I really like Junji Ito. It's a bit strange, because I also really like Lovecraft, and they're extremely different, both in their themes, and the means of expressing them. While Lovecraft loves merely suggesting the horrifying and the disturbing, putting multiple walls between the reader and the events themselves through multilayered indirect narration, and seems content merely lifting the very edge of the veil separating us from the unknown and incomprehensible, Ito puts the disturbing and grotesque straight on our doorstep, behind our walls, in our very own bodies, in full view and plain sight, making it impossible to look away and pretend the world is the safe and reasonable place we'd like it to be.

But anyway, here is Spiral, in my opinion Ito's best work. It is quite short, at 19 chapters, hopefully making it easier for this LR to reach completion. Even though there is a clear overarching narrative, a definite cast of characters, and a good amount of continuity, the chapters themselves are relatively self-contained, and can still be read as standalone short horror stories.

Also, be advised, that while Spiral doesn't feature any outrageous nudity, the imagery is often very disturbing, and should probably be considered NSFW. You have been warned.

Without further ado:

mIihoci.jpg

DIM9fmi.jpg

BR69ny7.jpg

Gj6wVXG.jpg

rXRRPaf.jpg

It begins.

8tOk1X8.jpg

oBMHHbX.jpg

VAIBI9F.jpg

16DjPbF.jpg

tnb7SFy.jpg

r1wPsLG.jpg

97cc5Zx.jpg

y5K4RuU.jpg

VgnODo7.jpg

ASuFdqk.jpg

hzhJsAa.jpg

WzPwiT0.jpg

qNts62s.jpg

kw5afHa.jpg

TaLIabM.jpg

6wudweK.jpg

jFdxVdl.jpg

U86iP8K.jpg

aiagQnJ.jpg

21Ai3om.jpg

s9s9xOv.jpg

F5Su6o6.jpg

pzlfZ9H.jpg

gqS88hH.jpg

jaGtbuE.jpg

ffm3QKc.jpg

FQuxW24.jpg

a23U9H7.jpg

qGHIpBp.jpg

i1tUN3V.jpg

vLmWrVk.jpg

JDucRc0.jpg

O4yzbUl.jpg

4tocC2l.jpg

EiBKTCL.jpg

MTiSAi3.jpg

The author sure loves his body horror, does he not?

Fortunately for us, this chapter doesn't contain any :awor: characters.

Finally, fuck yeah cliffhanger! Jiro Matsumoto would be proud.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I read this a few years ago, and sometimes I still get a little uncomfortable when I look at spirals. Good read.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
So, I really like Junji Ito. It's a bit strange, because I also really like Lovecraft, and they're extremely different, both in their themes, and the means of expressing them. While Lovecraft loves merely suggesting the horrifying and the disturbing, putting multiple walls between the reader and the events themselves through multilayered indirect narration, and seems content merely lifting the very edge of the veil separating us from the unknown and incomprehensible, Ito puts the disturbing and grotesque straight on our doorstep, behind our walls, in our very own bodies, in full view and plain sight, making it impossible to look away and pretend the world is the safe and reasonable place we'd like it to be.
Not to mention how the main characters are always incredibly nonchalant in Junji Ito stories. That one hot bath story is specially hilarious in this respect. "Jeez why is the water red, look at all these weird people. Wow a deformed guy just popped from under the water."

FPvMvy.jpg

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
In Chapter 2, the obsession continues.

J7DIjD1.jpg

7E5dDzd.jpg

Eu7dGSY.jpg

U6phXdE.jpg

1EXDvn0.jpg

sPRg2CI.jpg

wiuQ7h5.jpg

rStfqAR.jpg

KoCnydR.jpg

PlqQYbK.jpg

ibZpVTQ.jpg

pC5VPEn.jpg

cuEyn4t.jpg

uMyqhEp.jpg

6Ec2kqo.jpg

uillDOy.jpg

lKtB3BD.jpg

Bb21AVm.jpg

QL0rtmF.jpg

afIA2cs.jpg

aDwgoaW.jpg

lAFFUKz.jpg

ep6DELi.jpg

A2Oohf1.jpg

dz9JBo8.jpg

uQayg3P.jpg

dlpIFNd.jpg

tH1CqBW.jpg

I5kUQfI.jpg

Ito likes obsession very much - he is not very good (or doesn't think it's important) at writing believable, psychologically rich characters, so extremely obsessive behaviour is his goto explanation for the disturbing and violent actions of his characters. It is worth noting that Lovecraft has a similar problem, which he solves with an obsessive lust for knowledge and/or power. However, while Lovecraft focuses mostly on the object of the obsession - usually some form of forbidden knowledge or gruesome mystery - for Ito it's what the obsession does to the obsessed themselves that is important.

This particular story also features another of Ito's trademarks - hatred or revulsion towards one's own body, which in this case is a result of paranoia, but in other stories is often objective, with parts of the body turning against its owner in some capacity.

Finally, we will see an ongoing theme, where friends and family are often a major source of danger and horror. This is in opposition to Lovecraft, where they are either absent, or a positive influence, trying to save the protagonist from himself. This probably makes Ito a filthy liberal, but I don't care.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
ugh, i can imagine a few more spiral or spiral-like shapes found in anatomical books - and i'm not sure i want to see how he'll turn them into body horror...

Lindblum

Augur
Yeah it times like these, I always wondered why they don't just call a priest for an exorcism or buy some charms.
It's obvious that there's bad Mojo going round.

One of the more disturbing images that stands out of Junji Ito is the Acne storyline, Imagine a dude climbing on top of his sister and squeezing every pore of acne goo onto her in UNHOLY DETAIL.

Oh hey look MLP related image.
uzumaki_is_magic__by_shepherd0821-d5gs4mx.jpg

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Time for Chapter 3, where the truth about women is revealed.

NbKjJIo.jpg

QahFuHt.jpg

sy358Q6.jpg

A94GjQg.jpg

l3LZT3x.jpg

S7asdjq.jpg

ByQPElX.jpg

HE0hzas.jpg

v8wGuIP.jpg

sb3hG9g.jpg

Nr7Uz5V.jpg

4BBXfle.jpg

iuOfjYH.jpg

IpZgoDf.jpg

MkkoCaU.jpg

6eBgStF.jpg

amNVZ3b.jpg

O1NND9Y.jpg

XBlb4Bz.jpg

ALTer8H.jpg

cE3NzQn.jpg

Qc7tdtI.jpg

jNrUSZO.jpg

iwhcJEZ.jpg

e7wMwdD.jpg

ogyFvEN.jpg

qYQkf1f.jpg

MWVJw2E.jpg

mESO80p.jpg

JtgQFx7.jpg

EW1FEZJ.jpg

2nGrQA8.jpg

I think this is rather self-explanatory. :smug:

lightbane

Arcane
Heh, a welcome addition to the Codex, so much :incline: I read the first volume, certainly one of the most hilarious gore/comedy stories I've ever read. Any attempt at "horror" is immediately destroyed when you take in consideration how terminally stupid the characters have (seriously, even the average slasher film's character/victim has more intelligence and actual sense of self-preservation than these guys). I'll follow this for the comedy factor.

Sodafish

Arcane
Yeah Ito is great. I have all the Uzumaki manga. I didn't think Gyo was as good though.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Ok bros, I have the whole first Volume uploaded, will try to post it all today, and then we can move two page 2.

bbPZZO3.jpg

nDev3RT.jpg

2FDtLI0.jpg

MwtiV6Q.jpg

qr8ghiU.jpg

cTjZpL0.jpg

Ic8OJ6Y.jpg

yfzt9r4.jpg

UgTOQLE.jpg

RkWKMFW.jpg

VedYqWG.jpg

DKTpKPu.jpg

tOckVMx.jpg

ACxLh6V.jpg

evlHHwN.jpg

s1IHaJr.jpg

8xUbXGY.jpg

haBcVQJ.jpg

BaRbz4T.jpg

TLX612P.jpg

95G27jh.jpg

9WpaIFq.jpg

Lo5VbwD.jpg

fEIPQXm.jpg

wX9GIYV.jpg

QL6f4Ey.jpg

eQTeY9X.jpg

aCypQ3b.jpg

DyiYSE0.jpg

ReQSzdo.jpg

sFTXvm4.jpg

TcuztUh.jpg

This kid would make for a good Awor if not for the fact that he has a girlfriend. Hopefully he can fix that and become the hero of this story.

lightbane

Arcane
Hey, a new chapter! One that I didn't read! Awesome, let's see... *reads it*

:hmmm:

:nocountryforshitposters:

This must be one of the few cases in which the "insane" guy (aka Shuichi) is actually the only sane person of the entire town. Seriously, there's naivety and then there's downright terminal retardation that is a danger to everyone. In fact, everyone on this town except Shui is too stupid to live and/or lacks basic human empathy and intuition. Shouldn't he runn away from this cursed place instead of staying here like a moron?
Anyways, moar lulz please!

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I like Uzumaki overall, but that chapter was pretty dumb. Also, the characters really are idiots for not getting out of town when they have the chance, but dumbass protagonists are pretty common in the horror genre. It's kind of understandable, as "some weird stuff was happening so I moved away" wouldn't make such an interesting story.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The chapter where
people start turning into snails
is pretty cool

Fuck you Sodafish, you bumped me to the next page before I could post the last chapter of this volume.

But anyway, that chapter is really good, there's nothing frightening it, but it makes you feel really uncomfortable in your skin. Also, the follow up with people start
eating and cooking the snails
is cool as well. You have to be pretty fucked up to think of something like that.

Hkd0sa2.jpg

YZkThla.jpg

JKMacWe.jpg

RQYLNDK.jpg

kiRCQZP.jpg

aCey0O9.jpg

vyH5QvR.jpg

jsdm5HL.jpg

bwELfvJ.jpg

UqFNJoc.jpg

cLVq33a.jpg

8tYdXam.jpg

cXDERdc.jpg

d0oo7qt.jpg

8lRcskS.jpg

Kzjhjdz.jpg

KrhGOP7.jpg

2jF3CtJ.jpg

5UIaG7O.jpg

QywMeCb.jpg

SXO1Sqj.jpg

W498Z3A.jpg

mTyZvsm.jpg

08AqeiS.jpg

N0JV1yn.jpg

Q5yva4K.jpg

ey9bmFw.jpg

bZlf8J1.jpg

2xsJ4mE.jpg

Umf9m2a.jpg

RHNOuZP.jpg

iD9CEZX.jpg

17sahkY.jpg

I2PIzUi.jpg

yJ2popj.jpg

67TyrJY.jpg

rI2iYoo.jpg

Ito has a thing for hair in his stories, off the top of my head I can think of at least two other ones where it features prominently. It makes sense when you think about it though, hair is peculiar in that it's a natural product of the body, without really being a part of it. This makes it a great vessel for this kind of "foreign body" metaphor.
Incidentally, pregnancy is another similar situation; and we will, indeed, see a chapter about pregnancy.

lightbane

Arcane
I like Uzumaki overall, but that chapter was pretty dumb. Also, the characters really are idiots for not getting out of town when they have the chance, but dumbass protagonists are pretty common in the horror genre. It's kind of understandable, as "some weird stuff was happening so I moved away" wouldn't make such an interesting story.

Even then, dumbass protagonists don't move away because there's some sort of reason compelling them to stay (such as the cursed town not allowing them to leave). However, here the bitch that is the main character is still staying despite the overwhelming evidence that something is clearly off. In fact, she doesn't even believe her boyfriend even though he's completely right :lol:

Chances are she'll pretend nothing happened despite the "hair possession" thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom