Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Feargus Urquhart reminisce about making Fallout 1 & 2 at Eurogamer

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Sep 12, 2017.

1. aratukgender: ⚧ Savant

aratuk
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Note: Feargus is what a dwarf who shaves his beard looks like.

• Funny x 14
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jim The Dinosaur IIgender: ⚧ Learned

Jim The Dinosaur II
    Parrots:
    ok I just watched the part about the first game and him chiming in constantly didn't have much of a point (didn't even know the difference between Vault Boy n Pip Boy what a nerd lol), but maybe the second part has Cain n Leonard talking about stuff they didn't know about later development of the second one so it all balances out in the end.

should've just had two panels for the two different games and kidnap mca and anderson from whichever mmo they're working on atm

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again torogender: ⚧ Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    Maybe something with more triangles and circles? Cause triangles and circles are numberless which is good for attributes because numbers confuse retards.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Unless they are doing a New World of Darkness (which will be real-time, and that is fine), of which a VERY creative team could do a really really good game in that setting. OR a new TURN-BASED Post-Apocalyptic Earth setting (LOL Feargus would NEVER EVER let them do that. Period), I don't think I personally am going to have much, if any, interest in any new Obsidian game.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised though....

:salute:

• Despair x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Mengskgender: ⚧ Learned

Mengsk
    Parrots:
    Maybe it's just me, but it can't really be coinsedence, that Boyarsky, Cain and Urqhart talk ALOT about FO1+2, New Vegas this week.. and plan to reveal something soon...

I think the new game they are working on at Obsidian might actually be a post-apoc rpg in line with the fallout universe. HYPE

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again torogender: ⚧ Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    I have to admit: A new TURN-BASED Post-Apocalyptic setting done by Obsidian would be pretty sweet. Or an Arcanum like setting with decent combat.

They cannot touch the Fallout universe but that's not a big issue as there are many other options.

Avellone would probably participate to this project despite his grudge.

But Josh would have to be restrained and kept away from the project.

Bottom line is this: If they announce anything which is not TURN-BASED then they can fuck off.

• Agree x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    lol no he wouldn't

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again torogender: ⚧ Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    I forgot about this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Maxiegender: ⚧ Magister

Maxie
    Parrots:
    Who the fuck cares about Obsidian and why are some of you treating them as some sort of incline messiah when they've repeatedly let everyone down in the past

• Agree x 5
    • Brofist x 4
    • butthurt x 3
    • Edgy x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Salute x 1
    • Old x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Feargus would never ever under any circumstances, allow such a game to be made. PERIOD. And I agree with him (at this time). That isn't a setting that is going to keep them in business.

^ Top  
  11. TorontRaynegender: ⚧ Arbiter

TorontRayne
    Parrots:
    I haven't bought their last few games due to generic fantasy nonsense, so some generic post apocalyptic nonsense would be a welcome change.

KotOR 2, New Vegas, Stick of Truth, Alpha Protocol - what more do you need? Those are decent games in a sea of shit. Worth giving them another chance I think. Even if they are losing too many people I like.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Maxiegender: ⚧ Magister

Maxie
    Parrots:
    Studios are ultimately comprised of people working on games and none of the schmucks at 2017 Obsidian has ever done anything like New Vegas

• retadred x 7
    • Agree x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This is a Black Isle-centric forum and we will always care about Obsidian as long as they're making RPGs.

I'm sure Maxie knows this though and is just being annoying

• Brofist x 8
    • Agree x 5
    • Disagree x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Tool x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. felipepepegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Best thing that can come out of this media blitz is me winning that PS4 from the Eurogamer contest.

However, I'm very cetical of contests with no clear rules - especially on which countries can participate. I doubt they're planning to ship stuff to Japan or South America.

• Salute x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Paul_czgender: ⚧ Savant

Paul_cz
    Parrots:
    This was a fun talk. The cynicism of some codexers is just embarrassing at times.
    It is cool Tim wrote the intro. Perlman really nailed the War never changes line.

^ Top  
  16. J_Cgender: ⚧ One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    They really didn't do anything like New Vegas. They just made the Original Fallout (Cain, Boyarski).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Braykogender: ⚧ Arcane

Brayko
    Parrots:
    That's some literal alpha protocol rite thar

^ Top  
  18. Maxiegender: ⚧ Magister

Maxie
    Parrots:
    And what exactly makes you believe that people who have made a successful game twenty years ago are able to make another one today in an entirely different team of people working with them

They're has-beens

• Agree Agree x 6
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. thekdawg21gender: ⚧ Scholar

thekdawg21
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    Okay I have to admit Feargus annoyed me quite a bit with his domination of the conversation, especially because Leonard and Tim had really interesting things to say, and Tim's passion for and his knowledge was really interesting. However I realized that Feargus is the PR/business guy and probably is stepping in to avoid those two guys saying anything that pisses anyone off.

Either that or he's just a fag.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Invictusgender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Seems pretty suspicious; all this Fallout related nostalgia, Nu Vegas, talk about promising canceled projects like Aliens RPG... I agree with Christ Avellone that Bethesda usually outright buys studios they like and the fact they didnt buy Obsidian is quite telling
    On the other hand it IS a bit too much all this drumming up for trying to get some hype going for nothing so at worst its just fluff pieces for eurogamer and at best its hyping the secret Boyar Cain project we know is currently on development
    Alpha Protocol 2, Darklands inspired game, Kotor 3 or dystopian future game all sound good to me

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Bestergender: ⚧ Arcane Vatnik

Bester
    Parrots:
    Did they say when Bard's Tale is coming out? Avellone's writing in this game is going to be CRAZY like in his best games such as Fallout 3! Man I can't wait to play this oldschool hardcore RPG!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    Hopefully he knows the difference of Fallout Boy.

^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again agentorangegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    avellone (master writer and rpg extraordinaire): listen you fucking script monkey or code guy or w/e the fuck you are i want you to add the option to stab the female in the stomach AFTER the player finds out shes pregnant

junior engineer: but sir the condom was in the inventory in that scenario so she-

avellone: look- i dont have time to play games with juniors just write me a report-

ceo at the time: avellone we cant have that option the ESRB will be all over us; fargo says it's out-

avellone: jesus christ i'm trying to break new ground here and you're constraining my talent; if the game fails in the marketplace it's managements fault! *slams door*

ceo at the time: *to another executive* he's a genius we need to keep him on board- fire all the engineers and have the marketing dept. push planescape and fallout 2 i want plants on every forum

random executive: i'll make the call

• Funny x 11
    • Brofist x 3
    • Creative x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Flougender: ⚧ Learned

Flou
    Parrots:
    I agree. I think Wasteland caters pretty well to that crowd and I don't think Feargus wants to compete directly with InXile and Fargo doing similar games.
    Now going against Bethesda and their retarded version of Fallout... that's a better idea. Bigger customer base and the competition don't even know how to make world that is even remotely good and has that "immersion" they want to throw out in every fucking interview since they bought the license.

Fallout: New Vegas is the best game out of the new era Fallouts and that is a great marketing tool to use. Not to mention using Cain&Boyarsky as the creators of Fallout.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Flougender: ⚧ Learned

Flou
    Parrots:
    Yes, because getting bought by Bethesda Overlords sounds so fucking awesome deal:

http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.ph...-them-and-tried-to-do-the-same-to-human-head/

Because Obsidian managed to deliver the game in time and in a way better shape than those fucks at Bethesda actually expected, they were able to remain free from slavery.

The amount of asskissing towards Bethesda by MCA is quite sad.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)