Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Tim Cain GDC 2012 Fallout post-mortem Video

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout; Tim Cain

Tim Cain lead a presentation at GDC on the development of Fallout. You can watch the post-mortem below, courtesy of Gamebanshee. Start at 8:00.

Thanks, hiver.

hiver

The way they made the talking heads?

:bravo:

Just one true : wow.

The whole talk is funny, interesting and reveals tons of great info.
History recorded.

Great companion to R. Scott Campell report by NMA.
:love:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ime-travel-sentient-dinosaurs-fantasy-planets

"Our second idea was epic. You started in the modern world, you were thrown back in time, you killed the monkey that would evolve into modern humans, you went through space, you went to the future which was ruled by dinosaurs, you were then exiled to a fantasy planet where magic took you back through the timeline, and then you came back to the modern world to save your girlfriend.

"It's weird even hearing myself talking about it now, but we were really going to go with this. One of the other producers kind of slapped me and said 'there's no way you're ever going to get this story made. You can work on it for years and nobody is ever going to do it'.

Sure enough, Cain and his team scrapped the idea. However, they held on to the extra-terrestrial theme for their next pass. That concept saw aliens invade earth and conquer all but one its cities. The game's hero would then venture out of this safe zone to fight back.

"This is what morphed into Fallout - the idea of a vault that you left and went out into the wasteland," said Cain.​

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I like how Mass Effect 3 has its spot just before Tim Cain. Very neat presentation. Down-to-earth, informative, no buzz-words or gimmicks. I love the nostalgic now-and-then comparisons, and it's clear quite a lot of thought went into designing the game. The amount of preparation they did by immersing themselves in post-apocalyptic pop culture is impressive by today's standards. Marketing were pressuring him to change the game with the advent of Diablo. Suits never change, do they.

Tim Cain coded the engine by himself in six months? :salute:

The murmur from the crowd when he said it was cavalier oblique, not isometric, was funny.

...I think I'll go replay Fallout again. ACELIPS.

edit: And they should totally use that acid-trip idea, or a variation thereof, for the upcoming Obsidian Kickstarter.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I just watched one hour of pure history. :salute:

Also, for those (like me) that got curious:

Fallout Vision Statement
  1. Mega levels of violence. (you had better give us that Mature rating right now). You can shoot everything in this game: people, animals, buildings and walls. You can make “called shots” on people, so you can aim for their eyes or their groin. Called shots can do more damage, knock the target unconscious or have other effects. When people die, they don’t just die – they get cut in half, they melt into a pile of goo, explode like a blood sausage, or several different ways – depending on the weapon you use. When I use my rocket launcher on some poor defenseless townsperson, he’ll know (and his neighbors will be cleaning up the blood for weeks!)
    *** This is the wasteland. Life is cheap and violence is all that there is. We are going to grab the player’s guts and remind him of this. ***
  2. There is often no right solution. Like it or not, the player will not be able to make everyone live happily ever after.
  3. There will always be multiple solutions. No one style of play will be perfect.
  4. The players actions affect the world.
  5. There is a sense of urgency.
  6. It's open ended.
  7. The player will have a goal.
  8. The player has control of his actions.
  9. Simple Interface.
  10. Speech will be lip-synched with the animation.
  11. A wide variety of weapons and actions.
  12. Detailed character creation rules.
  13. Just enough GURPS material to make the GURPSers happy. The game comes first.
  14. The Team is Motivated The team is motivated (Tim has incriminating documents on all of us)
    This is extremely important. Team GURPS is excited to be making this game. Everyone on the team is happy with what they are doing. We want to do this. We care about this game and we will make it cool.
Fargo should do somehting like this on his kickstarter page.

torpid

Liturgist
"They called me a project leader but I didn't go to producer meetings, I didn't write any reports and I didn't do anything but sit in my office and work on a game engine." Pretty wild to think that it all started with him wanting to make an engine and it's only a year into the project that they started working on the setting, and it could've been fantasy or time travel and dinosaurs. In other words we were lucky they played Wasteland and loved it.

"At the time, first person games were coming out and were considered super immersive -- that word has been used now for a decade and a half and I'm still not sure what it means." :salute:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Wait the product shouldn't work on NT to get the Win95 certification?

:what:

bonescraper

Majestic as fuck. Tim's heart is still in the right place, i love the part when he says he never actually got what "super immersive" really means in regards to first person view.

By the way, why don't we have a Tim Cain smiley?

ACELIPS!:lol:
:love:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Time to motherfuckin' replay FALLOUT :salute:

Fallout Vision Statement
  1. Mega levels of violence. (you had better give us that Mature rating right now). You can shoot everything in this game: people, animals, buildings and walls. You can make “called shots” on people, so you can aim for their eyes or their groin. Called shots can do more damage, knock the target unconscious or have other effects. When people die, they don’t just die – they get cut in half, they melt into a pile of goo, explode like a blood sausage, or several different ways – depending on the weapon you use. When I use my rocket launcher on some poor defenseless townsperson, he’ll know (and his neighbors will be cleaning up the blood for weeks!)
    *** This is the wasteland. Life is cheap and violence is all that there is. We are going to grab the player’s guts and remind him of this. ***
  2. There is often no right solution. Like it or not, the player will not be able to make everyone live happily ever after.
  3. There will always be multiple solutions. No one style of play will be perfect.
  4. The players actions affect the world.
  5. There is a sense of urgency.
  6. It's open ended.
  7. The player will have a goal.
  8. The player has control of his actions.
  9. Simple Interface.
  10. Speech will be lip-synched with the animation.
  11. A wide variety of weapons and actions.
  12. Detailed character creation rules.Fargo should do somehting like this on his kickstarter page.
  13. Just enough GURPS material to make the GURPSers happy. The game comes first.
  14. The Team is Motivated The team is motivated (Tim has incriminating documents on all of us)This is extremely important. Team GURPS is excited to be making this game. Everyone on the team is happy with what they are doing. We want to do this. We care about this game and we will make it cool.

This just brings tears to my eyes. What the fuck happened to cRPG gaming !?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What the fuck happened to cRPG gaming !?

shepardrapeface.jpg

likaq

Arcane

Many things.
Current game publishing model, publishers itself, majority of people have shit taste and are retarded, gamespot,ign and other "game journalism" corruptible gaming sites and paper magazines like cd-action , free market. Just to name a few.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Great talk. Their time-travel, dinosaur-world whatever plot sounded pretty epic indeed. They should have used that for another game.

Switch from GURPS to SPECIAL was 2 weeks, perks were added in 2 days. Followers was a late day scripting hack. Its telling that all of these issues would probably have been avoided in the present-day and a legion of the faults with Fallout wouldn't have existed, but then the present day would never let a game like Fallout be made in the first place. Saddening :(

Many things.
Current game publishing model, publishers itself, majority of people have shit taste and are retarded, gamespot,ign and other "game journalism" corruptible gaming sites and paper magazines like cd-action , free market. Just to name a few.

Just watch the ME3 prelude. I balked at the idea of spending 50 people for 2 months just to work on a fucking advert. That tells you all you need to know about modern gaming.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
but then the present day would never let a game like Fallout be made in the first place.

They would never have let it be made, even in the old days.

Fallout was a one off freak, that slipped between the cracks. None of the execs found out about it in time to wreck it. When Fallout 2 was made the interference began. All the higher ups started telling them how the game should be made and Tim said it didn't feel like it their game anymore.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It's fucking sad. When I played Fallout and Fallout 2 back then I was convinced that these games are an expression of the natural forces of progress and that it is a historical necessity that there will be more games like them.

It turns out that it was a completely random accident:(.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom