Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Tim Cain at Reboot Develop 2017 - Building a Better RPG: Seven Mistakes to Avoid

Paul_cz

Arcane
Rik Schaffer: Yes, Source was a big issue. But ATVI was very generous with Troika in most respects. They gave them 6 years of production time. One more year and it would have been nearly flawless.

Interesting interview, but what the fuck? How could Bloodlines have 6 years time in production when the game came out in 2004 and in 98 Troika didn't even exist (or barely) ? I think Rik is misinformed there.

But I gotta say, on my list of games whose dev I would fund if I had Notch money, Bloodlines proper AAA sequel by Obsidian + Mitsoda + Schaffer would be first in line.

Latelistener

Arcane
Interesting interview, but what the fuck? How could Bloodlines have 6 years time in production when the game came out in 2004 and in 98 Troika didn't even exist (or barely) ? I think Rik is misinformed there.

But I gotta say, on my list of games whose dev I would fund if I had Notch money, Bloodlines proper AAA sequel by Obsidian + Mitsoda + Schaffer would be first in line.
Troika wasn't exactly a big studio, but they managed to develop their own version of Source, and a game with a huge chunk of replayability. Personally, I don't think that could have been done in 3 years. Half-Life 2 took almost 5 years to develop (although with the engine), and it is a linear shooter.

Mitsoda won't go back to Obsidian after the fuck up with Alpha Protocol, so it's not a money issue.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
Rik Schaffer: Yes, Source was a big issue. But ATVI was very generous with Troika in most respects. They gave them 6 years of production time. One more year and it would have been nearly flawless.

They probably started working on a general "gaem" immediately. What else will they do once they set up. Then they pimped it out until someone bought and then used their assets for that. If they did not get the game they wanted they would have used the art assets and coding stuff for some other shit instead.

Diggfinger

Arcane

They probably started working on a general "gaem" immediately. What else will they do once they set up. Then they pimped it out until someone bought and then used their assets for that. If they did not get the game they wanted they would have used the art assets and coding stuff for some other shit instead.

I wrote about this in my Jason D Anderson Wiki-page.

Indeed, Bloodlines started production in late 2001/early 2002. Scott Lynch, who worked for Valve, flew Anderson and Boyarsky to Seattle to show them a prototype of the Source engine they were building for HL2. Fun fact: Lynch was formerly employed by Sierra, was a huge Fallout fan, and instrumental in landing Troika their first contract with Sierra for Arcanum.

Boyarsky has mentioned that Lynch put Troika in contact with Activision, who apparently suggested setting a game in the Vampire universe.
(I think the link between Activition and Sierra was that Activision had acquired the latter at some point).

- Digg

Paul_cz

Arcane
I wrote about this in my Jason D Anderson Wiki-page.

Indeed, Bloodlines started production in late 2001/early 2002. Scott Lynch, who worked for Valve, flew Anderson and Boyarsky to Seattle to show them a prototype of the Source engine they were building for HL2. Fun fact: Lynch was formerly employed by Sierra, was a huge Fallout fan, and instrumental in landing Troika their first contract with Sierra for Arcanum.

Boyarsky has mentioned that Lynch put Troika in contact with Activision, who apparently suggested setting a game in the Vampire universe.
(I think the link between Activition and Sierra was that Activision had acquired the latter at some point).

- Digg

Kinda insane that Bloodlines were built on unfinished 3rd party by a tiny team in 3 years. The game is so fucking good, quite long, with good production values for its time.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Inifinijew censoring shit again.
If we can't call someone a cocksucker on the Codex you have sorely misunderstood the culture of this place you mediawhore scumbag. I can't wait for the day you get a job in the industry - they love polesmokers - and sell out like BrotherNone so we do not have to endure your power-tripping assbanditry any longer.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/3edgy5you.115173/#post-5107716

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh, look, he's rating "butthurt" posts criticizing what he did. Yeah, that will show how right he was in what he did and how he's not a developer cocksucker.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

1p1bpi.jpg

Tim Cain is gay, though. Married to a guy and everything.

And that guy is HHR

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom