Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Tim Cain at Reboot Develop 2017 - Building a Better RPG: Seven Mistakes to Avoid

I would use Iron Towers as an example. Iron Towers made a great game (which I still need to finish), but would you call that a good business model? Could other studios have adopted that same strategy and survived? Would Iron Tower have survived if not for VD's efforts to fund it with his own money? Plus, how long did it take to develop AoD? I am not trying to take a jab at VD or AoD by these statements. I just think its a success story among a pile of bad news and dead studios.
I'd say it's a good business model for a very small "studio" with low overheads. It's not a good business model for a small company like inXile and it's definitely not an option for a company like Obsidian. When you're responsible for 50-100 people, your first priority is to make sure they all stay employed after your game is released, which makes accessibility a very important factor.

So either stay small and do whatever the fuck you want or grow big and do what the market wants (and the market isn't going to start craving hardcore RPGs anytime soon).

did Deus Ex sell well, btw?

if it did, everything is possible.

and then, well, maybe a game that doesn't sell, doesn't because it's too complex, but because it's not good looking. So making Fallout4 good looking would be enough to get money. Making it accessible is just... fear? Reassurance?

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not that well.

48118_SquareEnix-4_normal.jpg

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I would use Iron Towers as an example. Iron Towers made a great game (which I still need to finish), but would you call that a good business model? Could other studios have adopted that same strategy and survived? Would Iron Tower have survived if not for VD's efforts to fund it with his own money? Plus, how long did it take to develop AoD? I am not trying to take a jab at VD or AoD by these statements. I just think its a success story among a pile of bad news and dead studios.
I'd say it's a good business model for a very small "studio" with low overheads. It's not a good business model for a small company like inXile and it's definitely not an option for a company like Obsidian. When you're responsible for 50-100 people, your first priority is to make sure they all stay employed after your game is released, which makes accessibility a very important factor.

So either stay small and do whatever the fuck you want or grow big and do what the market wants (and the market isn't going to start craving hardcore RPGs anytime soon).

did Deus Ex sell well, btw?

if it did, everything is possible.

and then, well, maybe a game that doesn't sell, doesn't because it's too complex, but because it's not good looking. So making Fallout4 good looking would be enough to get money. Making it accessible is just... fear? Reassurance?

But Deus Ex is super straight forward and can be played by most people. It avoids all of the problems Tim Cain brought up at the beginning.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
If you have another term that distinguishes Bioware/BIS/Obsidian/inXile/ITS RPGs from things like blobbers, rogue-likes, etc., I'd be delighted to hear it. Since the key distinguishing fact seems to be the emphasis on narrative, that was the term I used.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Eh, I swear some people just like to whine. Meanwhile, RPG as a genre is in best shape in nearly 2 decades, we have a sprawling indie game market with devs who can sustain themselves making hardcore games for the niche, and AAA devs are producing plenty of popamole equivalent of RPG fast food. And even though I prefer a steak, there's nothing wrong with a hamburger every once in a while.

Mustawd

If you have another term that distinguishes Bioware/BIS/Obsidian/inXile/ITS RPGs from things like blobbers, rogue-likes, etc., I'd be delighted to hear it. Since the key distinguishing fact seems to be the emphasis on narrative, that was the term I used.

Bioware - Dating simulators with action combat

Obsidian - Crap

inXile - Crap

ITS - RPGs with CYOA elements and tactical combat; You consider Dungeon Rats to be narrative?

Re: Black Isle, am I to understand you consider IWD and IWD2 to be narrative rpgs? I'd call them D&D simulators.

You might find my response to be edgy, but your description is also poorly thought out.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Leave it to the guy that constantly won't stop whining about RtWP to call BIS games D&D simulators.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
IWD are the least narrative but still would fall into that fold. Pretty linear and plotted compared to what I would consider more typical crawls.

Johannes

Arcane
I'm not sure I understand the "misguided assumption" you're mentioning -- i.e., I'm not sure whether you're proposing the idea that players should be prepared to abandon ineffective builds midway through (which is an interesting idea, though not one that fits with historical practice, let alone modern practice) or that players should be willing to tough out ineffective builds because that's it's own reward (which is something I tend to agree with). But while I think you're right that players can figure out the system via a manual or tooltips sufficiently to figure out how to min-max (if that's their thing), I'm not sure that really gets at my problem, which is that I think the challenge of figuring out how to min-max a system at the outset isn't really the kind of strategy that narrative RPGs should be about. It is a different question with rogue-likes and open-world games, perhaps, but I think in narrative RPGs it puts the solution before the puzzle. You aren't figuring out how to overcome some contextual obstacle, but just how to power-up your build. The choices are simply too abstract IMO, too metagamey. It's more interesting to figure out how to execute a specific strategy in the face of a long-term goal, or a specific tactic in terms of a short-term obstacle, and to have that be the point of decisionmaking. There's no reason you can't have both, of course, but I still found it disappointing in older RPGs how most of the fun stuff you could do with your character happened before the game began. (There are exceptions, PS:T and FO being two of them.)

(Also, one small nit: I think you mean "reflective equilibrium," assuming you're talking about the Rawlsian idea.)
How strongly you define a character at the outset doesn't in itself make the game hard or easy to minmax. You can make suboptimal choices later on just as well, you haven't tried all the endgame spells and abilities before you get them after all, or seen what kind of monsters you'll be facing later. Rerolling your party 2 hours in vs. 10 hours in, which is better and why?

If you want to make a game easy, include different difficulty settings. Then a player won't need to reroll their build even if it's shit, when playing or normal (casual) difficulty. Then even the casual player, if they really like the game, can replay it on a higher difficulty if they really liked the game, and put their newly founded understanding of the game into use in making a better build than last time.

If you push all the character design from the start until later though, a consequence is that the early game gets much more samey for replaying. Much more fun if you can tackle the first dungeon already with a new party, and it actually plays differently than last time with another party.

set

Cipher
A game that's open-ended enough doesn't need to be easy or hard. It's completely me up to me if I want to go into Dangerous Deadly Dungeon and fight an army of Death Claws or not. Sure, not going in will mean I don't get to experience it, its connected story or quests, but if the critical path of the game is relatively open ended or easy in how you solve it, and you leave the rest up to adventuring players to discover and solve - then the game is accessible and deep.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I think we're talking past each other.

How strongly you define a character at the outset doesn't in itself make the game hard or easy to minmax. You can make suboptimal choices later on just as well, you haven't tried all the endgame spells and abilities before you get them after all, or seen what kind of monsters you'll be facing later. Rerolling your party 2 hours in vs. 10 hours in, which is better and why?
I don't object to "minmax" depending on what the term means. Here is what I think is great gameplay: being confronted with a long-term goal and making strategic choices for how to achieve it; in turn making tactical choices for how to overcome the particular obstacles your strategic plan faces at any given time. Within that framework, I think resource management (which means how to sacrifice the least to achieve the most, i.e., how to minmax) is absolutely critical or the choices don't matter. Here is what I think would be my GOAT RPG: one that has that kind of gameplay married to compelling narrative. I'm not sure any RPG has ever had strategic choices (AOD, maybe FO, I dunno), but some have had good tactical choices married to compelling narrative (PST, AOD, FO, etc., etc.).

I generally like complicated character creation systems while I'm fiddling around with them -- precisely because they are often the only moment in RPGs where you get to do fun stuff defining your character that goes beyond just incremental advancements within an already set framework. But I don't think complicated character creation systems are "great gameplay" in what I'm calling to Mustawd's chagrin "narrative RPGs" (which is to say, RPGs that are designed to be played start to finish and won on the first character build, often aren't ever played again, and reward mostly through the arc of the story rather than the powering up of the character/party). The reason is that while they entail the kind of resource management decisions and neat choices that could be part of great gameplay, those choices are being made in a vacuum -- the player has no idea what the long-term goal is, or even what the short-term obstacles are. It is true that if you've been around the block enough time you know that the long-term goal is to overcome some final boss and that the obstacles are things like popamole fights and dialogues that can be won by picking the option with the highest diplomacy requirement. But that is to say, character creation "works" only when the gameplay is stupidly predictable and bland.

Because an RPG can't start (IMO) without the player having some kind of character, I think that some level of character creation at the outset is a good thing. You basically give the player a basic narrative hook, and then choose an archetype (like the outset of AOD). But I don't see a good reason why all of the minmax fiddling should occur at the start (in a vacuum) rather than as you go along. Deploying your resources in respect to obstacles is tactics, deploying your resources in pursuit of goals is strategy. Deploying your resources in a vacuum is just dress-up. I get that a lot of people enjoy the dress-up aspect of RPGs, it's just not great gameplay IMO.

Anyway, I think that learn-by-doing [EDIT: by this I mean "improve skill scores by doing"; "learn by doing" in terms of the player's experience is great!] is terrible (this is off-topic), and AOD showed that people don't particularly like having character-choices-in-response-to-obstacles accomplished by point hoarding, so you'd have to think about what the best mechanisms would be. IMO part of the answer is that it's dumb to define 8000 variants of "talky" character on a statistical level, rather than treating the character's talky-ness as a given, and make the variation happen in response to environmental choices (alliances forged, information gathered, gear equipped, etc.). In that way, you can achieve min-maxing in the face of obstacles without having point hoarding.

If you want to make a game easy, include different difficulty settings. Then a player won't need to reroll their build even if it's shit, when playing or normal (casual) difficulty. Then even the casual player, if they really like the game, can replay it on a higher difficulty if they really liked the game, and put their newly founded understanding of the game into use in making a better build than last time.
This is why I think we're talking past each other. What I'm saying has nothing to do with ease/difficulty of play, and has to do with where you put the moment of resource deployment.

If you push all the character design from the start until later though, a consequence is that the early game gets much more samey for replaying. Much more fun if you can tackle the first dungeon already with a new party, and it actually plays differently than last time with another party.
This is a fair point, and it is why I think in games that focus on replaying (like crawls, rogue-likes, etc.), the analysis is different. But I also think that this problem is best addressed [EDIT: in narrative RPGs] as AOD and Dragon Age (!) did, by having the player making archetype choices at the outset that affect the early part of the game, rather than having the player walk through the same content with marginally different treatment: "This time you talk your way past the bandits at the bridge rather than blowing it up, sneaking past them, or killing them! What variety!"

Last edited:
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Bioware - Dating simulators with action combat

Obsidian - Crap

inXile - Crap

ITS - RPGs with CYOA elements and tactical combat; You consider Dungeon Rats to be narrative?

Re: Black Isle, am I to understand you consider IWD and IWD2 to be narrative rpgs? I'd call them D&D simulators.

You might find my response to be edgy, but your description is also poorly thought out.

So let's see:
-By calling Obsidian and Inxile games crap games you make it unable to tell if someone is talking about Bethseda games, story-driven RPGs or maybe just the latest Ubisoft release. "In the late 90's and early 00's Crap become popular among RPG fans" <- does this sentence refer to the success of Baldur's Gate, Torment or perhaps RPG fans just started to play buggy Doom clones around that time.
-"Dating simulators with action combat is a bit shitty." First of all dating sim elements are super-basic in Bioware games and you can just as well call them "adventure games with action combat" since technically you have to click on some items at some point of the game. Not to mention that Baldur's Gate didn't feature any romances. Also the name is too long.
-"RPGs with CYOA elements and tactical combat" too long, can't even make a nice acronym out of that
-Black Isle didn't release just these two games
-Not to mention you can't use any of these games to collectivelly refer to story focused RPGs
Not only are you bitching about a perfectly usable name that can be understood by every Codexer, all you can offer as an alternative is garbage. Even calling them storyfag games or "RPGs for faggots" is better.

Mustawd

Not only are you bitching about a perfectly usable name

Please show me where I am bitching about the name. I literally just quoted ""narrative rpg" because MRY and his storytard ilk find the narrative part so damn important for whatever reason. So I chose to tell storytards to fuck off and go play adventure games like No Truce with the Furies.

But I decided to go along with MRY's naming challenge anyhow since he mentioned BIS, which made games that are not really narrative rpgs. FFS, IWD and IWD are friggin dungeon crawlers. He tried to handwave (Crispy ) that fact away, but the truth is there's nothing really "narrative" about those games. Especially when compared to the other more story-based IE games.

-Black Isle didn't release just these two games

Ok, but MRY didn't make that distinction. He mentioned Bioware/BIS/Obsidian/inXile/ITS RPGs

Dating simulators with action combat is a bit shitty.
the name is too long.

It's too long because you're adding "is a bit shitty" to it. "Dating Sim ARPGs" might be a better compromise though. Which we'll call DARPGs = Dating ARPGs

-"RPGs with CYOA elements and tactical combat" too long, can't even make a nice acronym out of that

Let's go with AoD-like

By calling Obsidian and Inxile games crap games you make it unable to tell if someone is talking about Bethseda games, story-driven RPGs or maybe just the latest Ubisoft release.

Why are you trying to make a distinction here? If I step in shit am I worried if it's human, dog, cat or horse shit?

-Not to mention you can't use any of these games to collectivelly refer to story focused RPGs

I dunno what this means in the context you wrote it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There is something incredible about the juxtaposition of the tryhard edginess on the right and the tags on the left. Make Mustawd great again!

Mustawd

There is something incredible about the juxtaposition of the tryhard edginess on the right and the tags on the left. Make Mustawd great again!

What's this have to do with politics?

Lol, oh nevermind.

Oh and please click on the link in my sig if you wanna know how I got my tags. And I don't really think it's tryhard anything. I just don't like the same type of games you do. Not sure why that makes me a tryhard. But ok.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Not sure why that makes me a tryhard. But ok.
Err, because you've used the label "narrative RPG" as a launching off point for a multi-paragraph long series about how 2/3 of the Codex's top games are crap, in which you specifically lampshade your tryhard edginess? I actually have no idea whether you like the same games I do. There's nothing particularly edgy about liking blobbers, if that's what you're worried about.

Mustawd

2/3 of the Codex's top games are crap

How is this surprising when so many on the codex play FO4? When TW3 won RPG of the year? Besides, what exactly are you insinuating? That the codex list of RPGs is some kind of consensus? You know as wlel as I do that this forum is full of story tards and combat tards and ppl who enjoy both. Obviously, people's tastes will differ. Why are you even bringing this up?

because you've used the label "narrative RPG" as a launching off point for a multi-paragraph long series

I literally used it to tell story tards to fuck off. I don't recall going into a long diatribe about types of crappy RPGs until you mentioned it and I responded to another poster who decided to go deeper into it.

If anything what I was doing was spammy shitposting that could have just stayed as one spammy shitpost. Instead here we are discussing what to call storytard rpgs for whatever reason.

There's nothing particularly edgy about liking blobbers, if that's what you're worried about.

I'm not sure what that means. What am I supposed to be worried about?

Anyhow, this whole discussion is becoming tiresome. MRY, do me a favor and just take spammy shitposting at face value, and try not to make it about you or whatever you think tryhard edginess is.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Like King Slender said, "To be the man, you've gotta beat the man."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom