Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's new game at Obsidian is being published by Take-Two Interactive

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Leonard Boyarsky; Obsidian Entertainment; Private Division; Take-Two Interactive; Tim Cain

The publisher Take-Two Interactive, parent company of 2K Games and Rockstar Games, has never been involved with RPGs before. That changes today with their announcement of the formation of Private Division, a "publishing label" for titles from independent studios. And what do you know, one of those titles is none other than Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's unannounced secret project at Obsidian, known internally as Project Indiana. Tim and Leonard both appear in Private Division's swanky announcement video, along with level designer Dini McMurry:

Obsidian aren't ready to properly announce the game yet, but there are a few quotes about it from Tim and Leonard in an accompanying feature article about Private Division over at Game Informer:

Studio Partner: Obsidian Entertainment
Game: Unannounced RPG

The role-playing veterans at Obsidian are using their Private Division partnership to reunite original Fallout creators Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky for a new game set in a new universe.

“It was the opportunity to work with Tim on a new IP that we were creating from scratch again, because we did it on Fallout and Arcanum and those were great experiences and I just missed doing that, says Boyarsky, who most recently worked on Diablo III for Blizzard. “I missed working on single-player, in-depth RPGs with a lot of choice, consequence, and reactivity. I like making other types of games, but there is something special about the kind of games we started with Fallout that really appeals to us and speaks to us creatively.”

The duo plans to reveal more about the project at a later date, but Cain says “If people have liked our previous RPGs they're going to like this one in terms of how we make reactive worlds and especially our style of humor.”
The article also confirms that Obsidian will be retaining ownership of the game's intellectual property:

“I think it has all the strengths of the traditional publisher relationship but because we get to retain ownership of the IP, it's one of the things where I don't think we're worried about our goals aligning with the publisher goals,” says Obsidian Entertainment’s Tim Cain, who has reunited with fellow Fallout co-creator Leonard Boyarsky to develop a new RPG under the Private Division label. “We both want to see the IP be very successful because we are both vested in it.”​

Other titles to be published by Private Division include Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey by Assassin's Creed creator Patrice Desilets (who will hopefully finally catch a break), another unannounced action-RPG currently known as Project Wight made by ex-DICE developers, an unannounced sci-fi first-person shooter by a co-creator of Halo, and also an upcoming expansion for Kerbal Space Program. Other than the expansion, none of these games is going to be released before April 2019, so we still have a long wait ahead of us.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Private division logo hints at the character creation system. :shitposting:

Guess I'll have to give this at least some interest, until it's proven shit, only because Cain & Boyarsky are involved.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Logo of the Private Division project is a result of blatant plagiarism.

180px-OB-cover-Knights_of_the_Nine_Box_Art.jpg
2790acf21f44380e921cf91e5c596b78.jpg

Diggfinger

Arcane
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
Cain and Boyarsky getting the rock-star treatment:positive:

Btw. Matt Barton has recorded an interview with the latter, due to be published in 3-4 weeks.

Last edited:

Gremius

Augur
Well, if Paradox isn't the publisher so we can assume that it won't be another Vampire game.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Can't wait, Tim's new design philosophy isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Like capitalism, just because something sounds good and incline doesn't mean it'll play out that way, see Pillars and Wasteland 2 for reference.

Got faith. :salute:

Axie

Scholar
XX is one of the greatest cities in ze world (...)
there is a lot of things going on here (...)
that makes you aware of different possibilities in all aspects of life (...)
you need different point of views (...)

Interdasting. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom