Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Through the Ages - a videogame port of the board game legend

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'd direct the attention of the resident strategy lovers to the new release of the digital version of the Through the Ages board game.

It's basically a boardgame/card game version of Civilization but much smarter and more engaging than the official boardgame port of Sid Meier's Civilization. It's the 3rd best rated board game on Boardgamegeek.com which is almost as prestigious as winning the Codex GOTY coveted prize. And I would not sperg about it here and everywhere if I wasn't a complete fanboy of the original board game. It's a legend in the board game world and deservedly so.

The Steam version is cheap and simple obviously, it's a small project, but it's adequate. The underlying mechanics is what matters here. I just bought it and tested it for 30 minutes and I can't see any issues.

It'd be great if we could put together a Codex group to play this diamond.

Plus there's a 38% deal off on Steam right now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/758370/Through_the_Ages/

ss_b4ad85228b8bad1445909da9081aafb32d62766a.1920x1080.jpg

ss_4f743dd310eba840cdae28fe24f7c8788ebedb36.1920x1080.jpg

It would be cool if they made a decent electronic version of Vlaada's best game, Mage Knight. Great game but quite unwieldy to actually play live.

Viata

Arcane
Damn, I used to play this game online on boardgamearena every day some time ago. It's free at boardgamearena, btw. Or used to be, it's been a while since I last played on that site.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn, I used to play this game online on boardgamearena every day some time ago. It's free at boardgamearena, btw. Or used to be, it's been a while since I last played on that site.
Me too. Is the steam game based on the newer version?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw so far I'm getting my ass kicked, seems only veterans playing so far and I haven't played for years. But it's a fucking blast.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Btw so far I'm getting my ass kicked, seems only veterans playing so far and I haven't played for years. But it's a fucking blast.
Does it support Asynch play? Most mobile games do, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to be used much on Steam.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Does it support Asynch play? Most mobile games do, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to be used much on Steam.

What exactly is Asynch play?
It is the way it was (is?) played on www.boardgaming-online.com : You play your turn, and can log off afterwards. You get a notification for your next turn.
The players don't need to be online at the same time.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

What exactly is Asynch play?
It is the way it was (is?) played on www.boardgaming-online.com : You play your turn, and can log off afterwards. You get a notification for your next turn.
The players don't need to be online at the same time.

Oh yeah, obviously. That's the only reason I can even play this game. There are "lightning" modes where you have a few minutes for your turn but I never play those. I usually play Moderate (12 hours) or Default (24 hours), I have about 10 games started at once and I check in like twice a day for half-hour at a time.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Interesting. Thought this seemed cool, but also like I'd never have time to play it (currently longplay game with friends is Twilight Imperium).

Have to say the artwork looks really bland and lowres though.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Interesting. Thought this seemed cool, but also like I'd never have time to play it (currently longplay game with friends is Twilight Imperium).

Have to say the artwork looks really bland and lowres though.
It depends on your willpower to not launch 10 games at the same time.
A single game takes something like 1 hour, split over 2 weeks.
The problem is that you may be tempted to launch another one because the first one doesn't go quickly enough.
It plays a lot faster than TI.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Through the Ages is a superior civilization-building game

I was reminded of the love I once had for the genre when the digital version of Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization released on Steam last month. I remembered playing the board game fondly, if through a haze of sleepless convention thought, and gave it a shot. What I found was a reminder of why I love the civilization-building genre—and an oddly refreshing take on it for a 12-year-old base design. Videogame civilization-builders could stand to see where tabletop games have long broken away from genre conventions we take for granted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom