Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FTL: Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition

Destroid

Arcane
There's still air from memory so park your boarding party in there and wreck its systems.

SoupNazi

Just an fyi once you kill all the crew members the ship's ai takes over so you were fucked anyways; sure your crew could theoretically destroy the ship from the inside but they would ultimately die from the explosion or when the ai kills the oxygen. Its best to leave one crew member alive and cripple the unmanned ship while you move in for the kill.
Technically it doesn't matter if your crew dies in the explosion of the flagship. You still succeeded at destroying it and thus stopping the invasion (or whatever). I know I'm nitpicking, but it still pissed me off. (And yes there's still air even after the AI takes over.)

Modron

Arcane
There's still air from memory so park your boarding party in there and wreck its systems.

I just meant in theory your people would die regardless once your ship has been destroyed not in reality of the game design.

Garm

Learned
game got boring after like 3 games

It wasn't quite that short for me, but the game did get boring. It's sad because if they would have had like 5 or 6 different endbosses selected at random and a few more random variables the game could easily have been really awesome.

JrK

Prophet
The game lacks variety in builds. You're pretty much obliged to get a teleporter and some weapon combination to disable shields. Resources are spread so thin you need to employ all of them, focusing on one type (missiles only, lasers + stealth or something) is not really viable in my experience.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Yeah, it badly needs a lot more events and more weapons/ships. One would guess making more would be easy, they don't even have to worry about balance, given that the game's already unbalances as it is.

In the end it only takes a few playtroughts to see all the events the game has to offer, and that in a game that's meant to be constantly replayed is a really big flaw.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The game lacks variety in builds. You're pretty much obliged to get a teleporter and some weapon combination to disable shields. Resources are spread so thin you need to employ all of them, focusing on one type (missiles only, lasers + stealth or something) is not really viable in my experience.

Why do you need a teleporter? I rarely used one since I seemed to kill of my own crew with it more often than not.

The game is fun for killing a couple hours or so every once in a while. I definitely got my money's worth.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Why do you need a teleporter? I rarely used one since I seemed to kill of my own crew with it more often than not.

The game is fun for killing a couple hours or so every once in a while. I definitely got my money's worth.

Beating a ship by boarding gives more salvage and loot.
Teleporting also enables you to sabotage the system.
So go full salvo, taking out the shield and breaking the shield generator AND the enemy crew assigned to the room is wounded.
Teleport in, plant a few more blaster shots on his back.
Divert all firepower towards the enemy guns to minimize damage to your ship.
If your crew is in trouble, teleport out then fire a salvo into the room to finish off the enemy crew inside.

JrK

Prophet
I never had a problem with upgraded teleporters to get your guys out and heal up, and good boarding crew (at least one mantis). I don't see how you could win the endboss battle without the teleporter, I never find enough firepower to breach 4 shields and keep systems down even with attack drones.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I never used teleporters and was just fine. The system that you really need to win boss fight is cloaking then shields and maxed engine.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Most people I've talked to say the game is grossly over hyped and that Weird Worlds is better. Which is surprising to me as Weird Worlds isn't particularly deep.

Gord

Arcane
It certainly seemed to have gotten several codexers addicted to it for a while - so I guess it's not bad, in principle.
Watching a let's play on youtube makes it look extremely boring, though.

After reading a bit about it I decided to wait where the devs will take the game with expansions/DLC before buying it.
Looks too much like a one-trick pony to me in it's current state.

Borelli

Arcane
I don't see how you could win the endboss battle without the teleporter, I never find enough firepower to breach 4 shields and keep systems down even with attack drones.

You can with bombs since they ignore anti missile defenses but yeah teleporters are the most common way to battle end boss.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Whuuut.... No need for that. I won the last battle like every battle before that - though it was pretty damn close in the end and I had to "escape" for repairs inbetween stages.

Just destroy the shield, then laser the haul - make sure you synchronize it properly, so there is no "waste". Abuse stealth (have it max'd) - use this time to repair, and for weapon downtime. When the ship unleashes the "final weapon"... well you will get that "I'm fucked" feeling, but you just gotta believe :D Epic epic boss fight to the best roguelike of 2012.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
You guys make it look like some piece of shit popamole. It's a good fun game - gameplaywise! Yea, there are no real distinctive builds towards the end, but it still does a good job at making you feel like a captain of the ship. There is a lot of stuff to try out for a couple of games. Codex gonna codex.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not saying it's a bad game -- just a fun little rogue-like that might be worth five to ten hours of gameplay. While I think some people on the Codex might have overreacted to it I was mostly talking about the 'mainstream' where people are hailing it as Super A for Awesome. Personally, I have no intention of buying it outside of an indie bundle.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Can't you also go for "stealth"-based playthroughs with that stealth ship? Or a robot-heavy build with that Engi ship? Or a "pirate ship" that boards other ships?

circ

Arcane
Not really stealth based because you're forced to stealth in combat until you find a base that sells ship shields if you find one at all. But yeah, you can forego regular weapons and instead go with boarding droid spam as it gets the job done pretty well too, if slower most of the time, although still facing the same generic opposition.

Aurelius

Educated
Can't you also go for "stealth"-based playthroughs with that stealth ship?
I tried that several times, good luck with those laser drones.

Things that bothered me:
  • The AI is just plain stupid in that it targets rooms at random. Of course, otherwise the game would be a lot harder, but it shouldn't be balanced around a retard AI in the first place.
  • The transporter seems to be somewhat overpowered. It would be interesting if, for example, you could only teleport through a number of shield layers equal to your transporter level. Maybe make the transporter only work when shields are down and introduce some kind of boarding vessel for breaching shields.
  • Camping in the medbay while fighting intruders is way overpowered. No/much slower healing during fighting, or make the ability to heal exclusive to higher medbay levels. Also, if the defenders can heal while fighting, why can't the attackers destroy the medbay equipment while fighting as well (stray shots etc.)?
  • You shouldn't be able to take out weapons that easily. Instead, you should only be able to target individual weapons (like in the boss fight) or maybe targeting systems (resulting in a higher chance of evasion).
I think it's a good game, but it does seem to get praised just a bit too much. Now, if Nexus - The Jupiter Incident had a better UI, more direct controls and weren't essentially an "RTS on rails", it would beat the shit out of FTL as a tactical space combat simulator.

DakaSha

Arcane
Haters probably couldn't get past the first nebula

Oh look the classic: "Player who doesn't like game must have not been skilled enough" argument.
Maybe we just don't find it as enjoyable as you do.

Personally I quit mid game simply because I found it stale. Move to sector... hope no horrible event happens... attack enemy ship in exactly the same manner you did the last 10... win battle.. move on.

I'm sure it 'picks up' but this is a fucking roguelike. Its mean to be played over and over and it gives me no reason to. Before even dying i know: I dont want to go through this monotonous shit again in my next game.

It has great potential and is extremely polished. but as it stands its just monotonous and plain boring (to me obviously)

What pisses me off is that they went WAY over the kickstarter amount they asked for. I would expect that money to be put into making the game more enjoyable.

Who knows maybe there will be a kickass DLC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom