Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts after playing Doom 1 and 2

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
NO BRO DONT SWALLOW THAT N64 WAD YOU ARE IN A NO HOMO ZONE HERE

nomask7

Arcane
I found a way to play the Doom II Master Levels via Steam while using GZDoom, and I have to write a short guide about that for myself, so I thought I'd post it here as well:

Get ZDMLMENU. Unzip so you get the pk3 file and open that file with 7-zip and put the master levels sans TEETH.WAD into the map folder inside the archive (without unzipping the pk3 archive itself). Create a folder called skins inside the GZDOOM folder and put the pk3 file inside that new folder, renaming its file type as WAD.

As usual, move the GZDoom folder contents to the relevant Steam folder and rename the exe as dosbox (deleting what was there before); folder needs to contain doom2.wad alongside the exe. Launch via Steam and choose Doom 2 if GZDoom launcher asks. Done. Hopefully I didn't forget anything.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
I found a way to play the Doom II Master Levels via Steam while using GZDoom, and I have to write a short guide about that for myself, so I thought I'd post it here as well:

Get ZDMLMENU. Unzip so you get the pk3 file and open that file with 7-zip and put the master levels sans TEETH.WAD into the map folder inside the archive (without unzipping the pk3 archive itself). Create a folder called skins inside the GZDOOM folder and put the pk3 file inside that new folder, renaming its file type as WAD.

As usual, move the GZDoom folder contents to the relevant Steam folder and rename the exe as dosbox (deleting what was there before); folder needs to contain doom2.wad alongside the exe. Launch via Steam and choose Doom 2 if GZDoom launcher asks. Done. Hopefully I didn't forget anything.

That had a little mistake, which I've corrected now.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
:necro:

I finished Doom, Doom II, and Thy Flesh Consumed in that order over the past two weeks.
Disclaimer: I played all of them in Ultra Violence, with only Doom being played using mouselook and the jump button (as I didn't know it wasn't a thing... but I already had my suspicions in a few levels).

I thought that Doom was much more enjoyable than Doom II. Probably because of the amount of enemies the latter throws at you. I used a lot of savescumming in the latter, in the sense of "save before a hard area, save after being done with it no matter my remaining health". It's possible Doom II was also much harder for me as I had to get used to no mouselook. Indeed the first levels were very very clunky for me to play through, but as I play Evilution now I feel like I'm much more competent. I was able to easily beat the first three levels of the original game in Ultra Violence without a single death (until an unexpected swarm killed me in the fourth level I believe).

Doom II's levels felt less inspired I think. Like it wanted to be harder but without the creativity of Evilution (the levels I've played so far at least). Overall I agree with the OP that the game's are short and I took my time playing them. Probably because in that one hour of gameplay I get so much more thrill than I would get from six or seven hours in other games. Doom is so fast paced that it is a nice change of pace from games where I would walk for minutes on end endlessly thinking about my life (instead of, you know, thinking about the game I'm playing). The shooting is so satisfying and it does make me question my choices in other games (like manual reloading).

Overall I'm really glad I played through these. It's something I had in my "to play" list for a long time, and something I thought I would never get around to doing.

Now I can also bask in the memes.

unknown.png

schru

Arcane
To clarify, Doom did have a ‘horizontal’ mouselook for looking left and right, as well as movement to and fro assigned to panning the mouse forwards and backwards. The latter is very reduced in GZDoom if that's what you're using. Another thing to note about that source port is that the behaviour of the engine and enemy activation and movements will be different if you don't change the compatibility setting to ‘Doom strict’ or another appropriate one. Also, use the software renderer, disable decals, and lost souls translucency.

Also, Thy Flesh Consumed was added later, but it comes between Doom and Doom II in the story.

Edit: also, just in case you're a aware of them, use the SC-55 music packs as this synthesized series was used to compose it. And as far as source ports go, Chocolate Doom is the most faithful to how the original game worked.

https://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#

You should also play Master Levels for Doom II.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom