Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts after playing Doom 1 and 2

Lord Rocket

Erudite
It does if you're using infinitely tall NPCs.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So most of you have played Doom/Doom II and Heretic/HeXen.

How many of you have played Strife? If you haven't already you should, it's pretty great.

DraQ

Arcane
Reconite said:

How many of you have played Strife? If you haven't already you should, it's pretty great.
Well, duh, but Strife is very different kind of game, actually, plus it doesn't run in many source ports we're bickering about.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
DraQ said:
Reconite said:

Well, duh, but Strife is very different kind of game, actually, plus it doesn't run in many source ports we're bickering about.
Of course it's a different kinda game, I was just asking.

And it runs 100% fine on ZDoom.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I think ZDoom and Vavoom are the only ports with Strife support. A 'Chocolate Strife' port is in the works, however, might be a while before we see a release though.

DraQ

Arcane
Reconite said:
DraQ said:
Reconite said:

Of course it's a different kinda game, I was just asking.

And it runs 100% fine on ZDoom.
And that's how I played it.

TripJack

Hedonist
Yeah strife is pretty good. Plus it runs fine on dosbox as I recall.

I don't really get the point in chocolate doom when all the 'vanilla' games run in dosbox.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't really get the point in chocolate doom when all the 'vanilla' games run in dosbox.
There's the convenience of not having to use DOSBox, and it's also portable (works on Linux, Mac, BSD and other platforms).

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THIS THREAD HAS GOT ME ALL NOSTALGIC

I HAVE BEEN PLAYING THE HE;LL OUT OF DOOM LATELY LOTS OF FUN HERE AND THERE IT IS EASY FOR ME TO GET USED TO THE KBOARD SHIT HELL I REMEMBER ME AND ANOTHER BRO HAD DIAL UP DEATHMATCH SHIT WITH DOOM

I PLAYED A FEW L;EVELS OF QUAKE ALSO A LITTLE HARDER TO GET USED TO BECUASE THE MOUSLEOOK SEEMS A LITTLE FUCKED

BROS CHOCOLATE DOOM IS JUST ONE CLICK INSTEAD OF GOING THROUGH DOSBOX, NO HUGE ADVANTAGE BUT HE;LL I WILL USE IT

BROS I ALSO PLAYED ALSO OF SERIOUS SAM ON MY FAGBOX TODAY LIKE EVERYONE ELSE SAYS BASICALLY SEEMS LIKE UPDATED DOOM

I THINK THERE ARE MORE OPEN SPACES CAUSE YOU HAVE ALOT MORE ENEMYS THAT DO CHARGE TYPE ATTACKS SO JUMPING AROUND BETWEEN THOSE AND THE FAGS SHOOTING AT YOU IS TOTALLY NONPOPAMOLE

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS ALSO COOL DOOM THREADS SHIT LIKE THIS REMINDS ME OF THE FUN I HAD WITH OLDER GAMES

BROS THIS IS JUST FROM A FEW DAYS FUCKING AROND BUT THE LEVEL DESIGN IN DOOM TWO SEEMED MORE TIGHT IN DOOM IT SEEMED LIKE THE BACKTRACKING WASNT DONE AS WELL WITH CHANGING ENVIRONMENTS OR RESPAWNS WHO KNOWS ONLY PLAYED EPISODE ONE DOOM AND A FEW LEVELS OF TWO

I HAVE PBTAINED BLOOD AND TERRA NOVA AND I THINK I HAVE AN OLD QUAKE 2 DISC ANYWAYS LOTS OF MINDLESS SHOOTER FUN

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Secretninja said:
Blake Stone.
AFAIR, it was most advanced game on the Wolf 3D engine. And it has many cool features. I wonder how successfull was this game, because looks like it was released later than Doom.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
BLOBERT said:
I PLAYED A FEW L;EVELS OF QUAKE ALSO A LITTLE HARDER TO GET USED TO BECUASE THE MOUSLEOOK SEEMS A LITTLE FUCKED
In the initial DOS version? it was completely fucked. Got fixed as early as WinDoom IIRC. I have good memories of playing GLQuake even after Quake 2 had been released, good times. Last port I used was FitzQuake (which is just an updated GLQuake) but I remember a thread somewhere here mentioning a better one.

BROS THIS IS JUST FROM A FEW DAYS FUCKING AROND BUT THE LEVEL DESIGN IN DOOM TWO SEEMED MORE TIGHT
They're... different, in fact I'd say it's the biggest difference between 1 and 2. 1 had more organic, "realistic" levels that occasionally felt they had some sense of purpose, even if that was distorted beyond recognition. You can see this in many of the pre-Hell levels especially: Toxin Refinery, Phobos Lab (one of my favorites), Central Processing, Containment Area, Deimos Lab... 2 was just Romero going crazy with trying to make the most fun level without any attempt at realism or coherence. It works in SP because the levels are just so much fun to go through, but I think 1's are more balanced and fun for deathmatch.

I THINK THERE ARE MORE OPEN SPACES CAUSE YOU HAVE ALOT MORE ENEMYS THAT DO CHARGE TYPE ATTACKS SO JUMPING AROUND BETWEEN THOSE AND THE FAGS SHOOTING AT YOU IS TOTALLY NONPOPAMOLE
:love:

Fowyr said:
AFAIR, it was most advanced game on the Wolf 3D engine. And it has many cool features. I wonder how successfull was this game, because looks like it was released later than Doom.
IIRC Aliens of Gold was released just before Doom (earlier in 1993), Planet Strike a while after (some time in 1994), but I could be wrong.

Sceptic said:
UserNamer said:
Did you know that John Fagmack said that if he could go back, he would redo the entirety of quake 1 in a industrial\military setting? What a shame.
This was Carmack's idea for Quake all along (in opposition to Romero's Thor-like being with giant hammer, which sadly never saw the light of day). This was the reason for Q1's disjointed design (half gothic half military/industrial) and, thankfully for us, why its atmosphere is so awesome. It was also the reason why Carmack kicked Romero out of id, in the same way he'd kicked Hall and would later kick McGee and Petersen.

The Thor-like hammer would make an appearance in the 1st expansion Hipnotic Interactive released for Q1. :smug:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I JUST LUMPED TERRA NOVE IN BECAUSE IT WAS MENTIONED IN ONE OF THESE THREADS I HAVE SAMPLED IT AND IT LOOKS COOL

I WILL HAVE TO CHECK OUT GL QUAKE OR WHATEVER

I TRIED TONS OF DOOM WADS IN THE LATE 1990S I REMEMBER ONE WITH SANTA IN IT
I THINK THE BEST ONE I REMEMBER WAS AN ALIENS TOTALL CONVERSION YOU EVEN GOT IN A BADDASS SUIT AT THE END I THINK

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Maybe someone who knows more about Quake than me can tell us more, but I'm not sure there's any reason to use a port other than Dark Places.* Don't use the mod he made for the engine though, it's just awful.
THAT SAID, I thought Vengeance R2 was pretty good as well when I tried it. Nothing fancy though, just some enhanced graphical effects and et cetera. What I mostly liked about it was the VR2Mod, which makes a few sensible changes to the gameplay, such as allowing ogres to shoot up at you (suddenly they're a challenge) and intelligent monsters (um, grunts, enforcers, ogres, death knights?) will now run away from your grenades. And some other stuff.
I don't know a lot about QuakeC scripting but there haven't been too many changes to the core id made so perhaps the mod will work in other ports as well. Actually if someone tries, could you tell me what happens? I'd test myself but frankly I don't care all that much.

* Actually if you like graphical finery (you popamole dogfucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), Tenebrae apparently has the fanciest rendering engine. Cannot confirm since I've never tried it. EDIT: and their site doesn't work properly anyway, FFS

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Takeda Kenshi said:
The Thor-like hammer would make an appearance in the 1st expansion Hipnotic Interactive released for Q1. :smug:
Dissolution of Eternity? I don't remember this! What/how/when?

BLOBERT said:
I THINK THE BEST ONE I REMEMBER WAS AN ALIENS TOTALL CONVERSION YOU EVEN GOT IN A BADDASS SUIT AT THE END I THINK
Alien Doom, that was one of the best TC's and one of the earliest. Great stuff, turned out even better than the Alien Trilogy FPS that got officially released a year or 2 later.

Lord Rocket said:
Maybe someone who knows more about Quake than me can tell us more, but I'm not sure there's any reason to use a port other than Dark Places.* Don't use the mod he made for the engine though, it's just awful.
Heh, you're now officially our source port reference for id games. What do you mean by "don't use the engine mod" though? is the port itself fine?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THANKS FOR THE DARK PLACES DEAL THAT IS AWESOME

Sceptic said:
Takeda Kenshi said:
Dissolution of Eternity? I don't remember this! What/how/when?

Nah that's the second expansion pak (I still have the CD for that one.) Scourge of Armagon is the one you are looking for.

praetor

Arcane
Lord Rocket said:
* Actually if you like graphical finery (you popamole dogfucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), Tenebrae apparently has the fanciest rendering engine. Cannot confirm since I've never tried it. EDIT: and their site doesn't work properly anyway, FFS

i tried it back then when it was first released. it was pretty decent but it required extensive retexturing to utilise the full advantage of the engine. too bad neither project was finished 'cause they would've looked simply awesome (and the engine (from 2006!) already seems better than most of the popamole released today. i wish those hexen2 guys took a look at this project instead of dark places)

edit: double-checked. seems the last version is actually from 2005. i wonder what would the project look like if the dude continued it and what he had in store for the q3 engine mod he was working on. anyway, some recent screenies (with a 64-bit build of the engine) with some tex/model packs and lots of q1 engines (including working links for many tenebrae builds)

DraQ

Arcane
For some reasons Dark Places spawns a crapload of equipment for me at the beginning of e1m1. I disapprove. It also makes one corridor in e1m2 abnormally bright (the one with nail traps). OTOH it has awesome rockets and explosions, plus much nicer bood when gibs are flying.

Tenebrae generally looks much better, with its ubiquitous specular maps that, oddly enough, don't look out of place and actually enhance Q1 giving it humid, slimy looks. Stencil shadows and lighting in general also look much better in Tenebrae, despite completely replacing original lightmaps. In Dark Places, if you turn on environment shadows for static lights, it just looks unnatural.

I may have some old build of Tenebrae, though.

DefJam101

Arcane
Do you guys bind keys for weapons in Doom? I never bothered to since it's not a competitive game and it doesn't have instant weapon switch...

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Heh, you're now officially our source port reference for id games. What do you mean by "don't use the engine mod" though? is the port itself fine?

Well, not quite, I haven't checked out any of the Q2 ports. I have a hankering to play it again though so probably in a few weeks...
Anyway, Dark Places is two things: the engine and the mod the dev made to show off the engine. The engine works extremely well so far as I am concerned. The mod, however, I don't like. I last tried it in 2007 so I forget the specifics, but it made shit all weird and put the weapons on an extreme angle that was ugly as sin.
Anyway now I'm trying to remember exactly why I reacted so poorly to the DP mod, but I can't. Looks like I'll end up playing it again.

BRO THANKS FOR THE DARK PLACES DEAL THAT IS AWESOME

No worries cuz.

will it make the models 3D or just make it work on vista/7?

Chocolate Strife, you mean? No. It's intended to recreate the Strife .exe's original behaviour as closely as possible (I don't think the source was ever released?) on modern OSes, so no 3d stuff. I'm pretty sure there's no Strife 3d pack (and no plans to make one) for it to use anyway.

DraQ said:
For some reasons Dark Places spawns a crapload of equipment for me at the beginning of e1m1. I disapprove.

Very strange. Are you sure there's nothing funny in the DP autoexec/ini/whatever it is called? It doesn't do that when I play it.

It also makes one corridor in e1m2 abnormally bright (the one with nail traps).

Yeah, it does do that. It's only that one place though.

Also, thanks to DraQ and Praetor for the thoughts on Tenebrae. Those links will come in handy as well.

Do you guys bind keys for weapons in Doom? I never bothered to since it's not a competitive game and it doesn't have instant weapon switch...

Does 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 count? Probably not.

Secretninja

Cipher
I remember reading that strife's source code was lost at some point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom