Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts after playing Doom 1 and 2

UserNamer

Cipher
if you liked the exploration part try quake, you might enjoy it.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
DefJam101 said:
Using weapons appropriately is not the same thing as just aiming well. Obviously someone wasting all of their rockets on a crowd of zombiemen is going to die; that does not make firing rockets into a crowd of large monsters any more difficult.

Doom is still hard, it's just not an aiming game. More of a, I dunno, "technique" FPS. Learning how to run in and out of cover, using chokepoints, timing rockets & BFG shots, choosing targets, etc.
This.

And the game originally had auto-aim for the vertical plane? I think I remember this slightly from that demo way back. Lol, the decline began in 1993.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DefJam101 said:
Using weapons appropriately is not the same thing as just aiming well.

Actually, it is, since we are discussing how weapons are used during a fight. Wasting your ammo on the wrong target is something else altogether. Running out of ammo because you can't aim for shit as you dart and zip around enemy fire is what i'm talking about here. This is particularly true for the shogun, since its your main weapon for most of the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DraQ said:
1)

If you want an exploration heavy game with awesome levels (but very different from Doom in all aspects, including few, but smart and agile enemies) and are an atmosphere whore, you should definitely try Unreal.

Unreal is junk. All there is to is is the eye candy. The gameplay is actually shit.

The most underrated FPS is Jedi Knight. Shit weapons but absolutely amazing level design. And this might actually piss some people here but i really think Quake 2 is pretty underrated too. It was just Doom redux but it was done well for what it was. Good level design and solid arsenal, none of that wimpy shit from Quake 1 and Quake 3.

Zomg

Arbiter
Dicksmoker said:
DefJam101 said:
Using weapons appropriately is not the same thing as just aiming well. Obviously someone wasting all of their rockets on a crowd of zombiemen is going to die; that does not make firing rockets into a crowd of large monsters any more difficult.

Doom is still hard, it's just not an aiming game. More of a, I dunno, "technique" FPS. Learning how to run in and out of cover, using chokepoints, timing rockets & BFG shots, choosing targets, etc.
This.

And the game originally had auto-aim for the vertical plane? I think I remember this slightly from that demo way back. Lol, the decline began in 1993.

You can't even traverse the aiming point in the vertical plane, did you play it in full mouselook or something?

ElectricOtter

I'd recommend Quake, Heretic, HeXen, and Painkiller if you liked Doom. Blood and DN3D aren't bad either, but as those have already been mentioned...

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Zomg said:
Dicksmoker said:
DefJam101 said:

This.

You can't even traverse the aiming point in the vertical plane, did you play it in full mouselook or something?

He thinks you were originally able to jump.

DefJam, I see what you're getting at here but since they're both methods of efficient weapons usage I'm not sure the difference is meaningful.
Besides, using your hitscan weapons correctly involves a reasonably similar skillset to aiming as you define it - evaluating weapon spread, usage at appropriate ranges etc.

Unkillable Cat said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Lyric Suite said:
Plus, Doom still has one of the best array of arsenal of any FPS.

The only weapon that isn't completely standard is the BFG9000. You could make the case that Doom influenced every other game since to have nearly the same selection of weapons, but I would hardly say it had an especially good selection. Duke Nukem 3D reigns supreme in that regard IMO.

"could make the case?" It is the case. Doom set the standard for weapon layouts in FPS games. For 4 years there was almost no change in the layout, which was like this:

1: Weak/powerful melee attack.
2: Weak pistol.
3: Shotgun.
4: Machine gun.
5: Rocket Launcher.
6: Powerful weapon.
7: Über-powerful room clearer weapon.

So Doom's weapons are good because they were copied and used everywhere? Thats not a compelling argument unless you are prepared to make a claim that cover systems and auto healing are great FPS mechanics. :retarded:

They were pretty standard utilitarian weapons, thats why they were copied. Doom wasn't good because of its weapons, it was good because of the enemy and level design that forced you to use each weapon to its utmost in each situation. The shotgun is sexy though.

Lyric Suite said:
The most underrated FPS is Jedi Knight. Shit weapons but absolutely amazing level design.

:love:

SoupNazi

Did anyone ever play Doom 2 in multiplayer? I started out just playing with classmates and school and I was owning back then thanks to being an ass and enabling mouse support. Eventually I moved on to actual internet games and learned so many cool tricks - such as that the BFG works based on what you see, not where you shoot so you can easily make "corner-shots" - face a wall at a corner, shoot it, then quickly strafe around the corner to face whatever/whoever is beyond it and kill them.

This was complete news to me and even to this day I'm amazed how many tricks they thought of in a game like that. With games like Quake 3 and rocket jumping, bunny hopping or plasma running it's kind of understandable, but Doom 2 has many nuances that on a 'professional' multiplayer game really show who's good and who's bad.

Man I miss those times.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't think i played any other DM FPS as much as i played Doom 2. One of my friends was the son of a guy who sold computers for a living, and he had enough computers laying around to built a permanent lan setup. We spend entire summers blowing each other up.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Zomg said:
Dicksmoker said:
DefJam101 said:

This.

Yeah, the version I had had full mouselook.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Lyric Suite said:
DraQ said:
1)

If you want an exploration heavy game with awesome levels (but very different from Doom in all aspects, including few, but smart and agile enemies) and are an atmosphere whore, you should definitely try Unreal.

Unreal is junk. All there is to is is the eye candy. The gameplay is actually shit.
You are so wrong that it's not even funny.
Have you actually played the game?

DefJam101

Arcane
Not sure what Lyric Suite is on about but he did say at least one correct thing:
+1 for Quake 2. It's a fun game with a much better single player campaign than Q1. Feels almost like 3d Doom 2 on higher difficulty levels.

Unreal is excellent, but a completely different type of game. It really doesn't belong in any Doom-related thread.

DraQ

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
Not sure what Lyric Suite is on about but he did say at least one correct thing:
+1 for Quake 2. It's a fun game with a much better single player campaign than Q1. Feels almost like 3d Doom 2 on higher difficulty levels.

Q2 has always been slightly disappointing to me. A good game, sure, but not exceptional in any way or form.

Unreal is excellent, but a completely different type of game. It really doesn't belong in any Doom-related thread.
Well, it does have large, excellent, explorable levels, which I addressed.
:smug:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dicksmoker said:
From the video it looked like an fps/adventure.
:facepalm:
fps/adventure - Realms of the Haunting
Unreal - fps with story elements. BTW, try it.

Mackerel

Augur
Dicksmoker said:
Zomg said:
Dicksmoker said:
DefJam101 said:

This.

Jumping and mouselook? Yes, continue to share your thoughts on Doom, the game you haven't actually played.

DefJam101

Arcane
Sorry but that doesn't actually change much of the game, considering both jumping and vertical aiming are useless outside of any PWADS requiring them. (It it possible to disable vertical auto-aim? Why would you...)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Mackerel said:
Dicksmoker said:
Zomg said:
Dicksmoker said:
DefJam101 said:

This.

Jumping and mouselook? Yes, continue to share your thoughts on Doom, the game you haven't actually played.
Kids this days think what doom must be played with mouse. :( Dunno about multiplayer game, but mouse in the single player doom is the travesty.

Destroid

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
DraQ said:
1)

The most underrated FPS is Jedi Knight. Shit weapons but absolutely amazing level design. And this might actually piss some people here but i really think Quake 2 is pretty underrated too. It was just Doom redux but it was done well for what it was. Good level design and solid arsenal, none of that wimpy shit from Quake 1 and Quake 3.

Jedi Knight was actually my favourite singleplayer FPS, bar none, mostly for the interesting levels. I don't usually get into singleplayer shooters much but Jedi Knight really grabbed me.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DraQ said:
Well, it does have large, excellent, explorable levels, which I addressed.
:smug:

Their size was a plus but they aren't really that well designed, or at least they didn't do much to help the gameplay. Unreal was a completely sterile experience for me.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Fowyr said:
Dicksmoker said:
From the video it looked like an fps/adventure.
:facepalm:
fps/adventure - Realms of the Haunting
Unreal - fps with story elements. BTW, try it.
I meant it looked like one big seamless world to explore as opposed to levels. Hard to see how that wouldn't have heavy adventure elements.

Mackerel said:
You're right, I can see how being able to move the mouse vertically as opposed to having an auto aim makes the game so entirely different. :roll:

DefJam101 said:
(It it possible to disable vertical auto-aim? Why would you...)
Yeah it was disabled in mine. I don't see a good reason to have it on, if there is mouselook.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom