Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts after playing Doom 1 and 2

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
No, this isn't a reaction to that other Doom thread. I had planned to make this thread all on my own since I just recently beat them.

Anyway, I remember when my mom first got a computer (I was in fourth grade) there was a demo disk that came with it that had lots of different games. One of them was the first episode from Doom 1. So that was one of the first PC games I played. It's funny how I waited so long (about 14 years by my reckoning) to finally play the entire game. Not sure why I decided to now.

Anyway, here's some random thoughts and impressions I got while playing the two games.

1) Level design, level design, level design. It was so awesome, the maze-like levels with all the little secrets and pick-ups you could find, as well as the adventure-like elements of finding keycards and flipping switches to make shit happen. Exploration was just as much a part of the gameplay as the actual shooting. If you look at it, the shooting mechanics were of course very primitive by today's standards. You don't "aim" so much as point in the general direction of an enemy, for one. If the game was just shooting and nothing else, it would be ass. Think about it - it really would. But the exploration elements more than make up for that, and I would say are the real meat of the game.

It makes me wonder how what many consider to be the first "real fps" would have such a strong exploration element. Maybe because it was a new genre and so they would borrow elements from other genres? Like the adventure genre? That was still strong at the time, so my vote goes with that.

It also makes me wonder where the turning point was to these linear, "more immersive" fps's. If I had to pick I'd say Half-Life, but maybe some of you have more knowledge on this.

2) When I played the Doom 3 demo, that was enough for me. I didn't like the constant action and enemies being constantly thrown at me. When I was done with the demo I felt exhasuted. Playing Doom 1 and 2, though, it seems the "rate" of enemy spawn was the same. And I didn't find it exhausting. One thing I can think of would be the simpler graphics, as well as the lack of complex gradients of light that are more intensive on the eyes. The other thing would be, as I said earlier, the lack of a real need to aim, in the manner that we aim today in modern fps's, which is also more intensive. Or maybe it's just the level exploration elements gave a feeliong of "downtime" to the player, or at least something else to focus his mind on, whereas Doom 3 was completely linear. Whatever the reason, the end result was that the monster spawn was okay in Doom 1 and 2 but not in 3. I would think that if there was a modern Doom (a real modern Doom, mind you) it might need less enemies, but also more sophisticated shooting mechanics. And of course, a non-linear maze-like level design.

3) The games are short. It showed me about 8 hours beating Doom 2 and less for Doom 1. And yet, they still felt like full experiences to me. I wonder why that is. In modern games I have my somewhat arbitrary 40-hour rule, and I think it fits well. Maybe it's just because there was no "fluff" in Doom 1 and 2. It just cuts the bullshit and gets right to it. And you move fast, which works well with those larger levels. I'm trying to imagine what the games would be like if your movement speed was like that of modern games. It would probably double the game length but feel boring and drawn out.

The other thing I noticed is that I only played it in bits and pieces. About an hour at a time before taking a break. I'm wondering why that is. It wasn't that I didn't like the game, since I would feel the urge to play again not too long afterwards. It was the same way for Thief 1 and 2, only doing a mission or two at a time before stopping. In modern games, if I'm really into one, I can easily go 8 hours or more without stopping. So what's the difference? Could it be that lack of "fluff" I mentioned earlier, or something else?

4) Doom 2 was considerably harder than Doom 1 (I played on the medium difficulty, by the way). In fact it really feels like the second half of Doom, if they were one game. No dip in difficulty at the beginning. In that game they really threw hordes of enemies at you, and brought bosses from Doom 1 in as normal enemies. Doom 2 is a true "sequel" by the old definition of the word - a game that expects you to have played the first beforehand. You don't get those anymore.

-Anyway, those are my thoughts. I'll probably be playing some more older fps's in the near future. I'm definitely looking at Quake, and a friend suggested Duke Nukem 3D. Any others I should be aware of?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Dicksmoker said:
1) Level design, level design, level design. It was so awesome, the maze-like levels
The reason I consider Doom level design to be miles above Wold3D is due to being far less maze-like actually. There are some mini-mazes, but the design fully takes advantage of what the engine could do, and tries to fool you as much as possible into thinking it can really do 3D.

Maybe because it was a new genre and so they would borrow elements from other genres? Like the adventure genre?
Doubtful. If anything they borrowed from the first person RPG's like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, maybe the M&M's and Wizardries, definitely UW.

It also makes me wonder where the turning point was to these linear, "more immersive" fps's. If I had to pick I'd say Half-Life, but maybe some of you have more knowledge on this.
Definitely Half-Life, and one of the reasons I rage at the game (see other thread)

Or maybe it's just the level exploration elements gave a feeliong of "downtime" to the player, or at least something else to focus his mind on, whereas Doom 3 was completely linear.
I think this is the reason. Instead of doing nothing but shooting the same imp in the same corridor being spawned by the same script 500 times, you get to explore cool-looking level, find secrets, shoot enemies that attack you in different combinations... it all adds up. The simplicity of the core gameplay also helps.

Maybe it's just because there was no "fluff" in Doom 1 and 2. It just cuts the bullshit and gets right to it. And you move fast, which works well with those larger levels.
Pretty much. The game would be unplayable with the snail's crawl of modern games (I'm looking at you, Mass Effect and Jedi Outcast).

4) Doom 2 was considerably harder than Doom 1
Try Ultraviolence :smug:
(it's worth it)
Romero and Petersen (who did most of the level design on 2) outright said that Doom 2 was not for the beginner. They even considered including ep1 so that if people found Doom 2 too tough they could go back and train on that.

I'm definitely looking at Quake, and a friend suggested Duke Nukem 3D. Any others I should be aware of?
In the same style? Definitely Heretic if you want more Doom with fantasy trappings. There are other excellent games from back then, but not quite the same gameplay (Strife, Hexen, etc).

I just did the first 7 levels of Doom 2 after completing Doom 1 yesterday, and I am not sure if it is because I know Doom 2 a lot better or not, but so far it is actually a lot easier. The only time I have come close to dying was in Dead Simple (I did a couple times. Very fun level)
A few things I have noticed so far (playing on Ultra Violence)
- much more ammunition in the levels
- far more enemies that drop ammunition
- double shotgun is way, way overpowered
- noticeably higher demand on computer
- much more of an attempt to make levels fun in an illogical way (end result is more fun IMO)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dicksmoker said:
Any others I should be aware of?
Heretic
Hexen
Blood
Redneck Rampage for lulz.
Terminator: Futureshock
Cybermage: Darklight Awakening for several dungeon crawler's puzzles (secret buttons very similar to Wiz6 included) and horde of glowing... things.

And yes, Strife was good. Also it have your beloved C&C ;)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Also then you starting to think what Doom 2 on Ultra-Violence sort of easy, try Plutonia Experiment and Evilution.
room with 30-40 mancubi :yeah:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sorry, but Doom II had terrible level design (shitty city levels which look nothing like cities, huge buildings with 1 window and 1 door, stupid shit). Final Doom exceeds it majorly. I fucking love Final Doom.

You might also wanna try Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and HeXen: Beyond Heretic, though the latter is puzzles galore, I don't think I ever beat it.

Also, Blood is my favourite FPS game by far. Great atmosphere. :love:

Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D are good too. Also, PowerSlave if you're not afraid of no mouselook.

Sorry, but Doom II had terrible level design (shitty city levels which look nothing like cities, huge buildings with 1 window and 1 door, stupid shit).

Your attempt at justification is shit, ridiculous, embarrassing.

You want to know why? Because if you are using some kind of realism as a basis for level design then you are playing the wrong fucking game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dicksmoker said:
You don't "aim" so much as point in the general direction of an enemy, for one. If the game was just shooting and nothing else, it would be ass. Think about it - it really would.

Bullshit. Doom may have been limited to an horizontal axis only but you still needed a good aim, and sometimes it could be challenging to hit enemies as you danced around to dodge coming shots. Plus, Doom still has one of the best array of arsenal of any FPS. If the game was just shooting it would still have been great.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
What I mean by "aiming" is targetting toward specific body parts - i.e. headshots and the like. Doom doens't have any of that. It's much simpler; you have to admit that. And yes, it would be quite gay if it was "just" shooting.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dicksmoker said:
What I mean by "aiming" is targetting toward specific body parts - i.e. headshots and the like. Doom doens't have any of that.

Neither do 99% of shooters. The only thing that sets Doom from modern FPS is the lack of vertical aim (which can be remedied a bit by playing zDoom with auto-aim off). Fact of the matter though is that the actual aim mechanic is extremely addictive in a way few FPS are. Accurate aim is also needed for certain weapons, like the shotgun, where graze shots do considerably less damage.

MetalCraze

Arcane
You are wrong. There is another thing that sets Doom apart from modern FPS and that's the lack of a shitty railroad ride wtih "press the button to advance the cutscene"

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Excommunicator said:
You want to know why? Because if you are using some kind of realism as a basis for level design then you are playing the wrong fucking game.
Their attempt at trying to make "city levels" was rather pathetic when you take a look at Heretic which was released 2 months later. Final Doom also exceeds their puny attempt with Map 29 of Plutonia, seriously; that map is fucking fantastic. In Doom 2, they tell me I'm on Earth, it really doesn't feel like it. It's just a different skybox with some more moonbases.

Also, I wasn't just talking about the city structures that they failed to mimic, there was also the unbalanced and stupid level design, and the fact that on any difficulty setting the difficulty is flying all over the place. One level might be a breeze, the next might be hard as fuck and the one after that is easy as fuck, there's no consistency, it feels like all the levels were just tacked together, a rather lazy experience. At least The Plutonia Experiment and TNT Evilution had the balls to be challenging all the way throughout without resorting to cheap enemy traps every minute. Gotta love Team TNT and the Casali Brothers.

Final Doom > Doom > Doom II: Hell on Earth

By the way, has anyone else here played that "Xbox Live Arcade exclusive" episode that was put with the Doom 2 port? By "exclusive" they mean a *.wad file that was easily ported shortly after release: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QYCBZ85W

It's the one labelled "Nerve_demo.wad" though it is in-fact the full extra episode. Worth a playthrough, it's pretty nice.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Fowyr said:
DOH. Can't believe I forgot this one.

Excommunicator said:
much more of an attempt to make levels fun in an illogical way (end result is more fun IMO)
Yes. I find Doom 1 levels to be superior because of the extremely good attention to a more architectural (so to speak) design, but Doom 2's are superior for sheer fun, even if many of them rely on gimmicks to do this (Dead Simple, Tricks and Traps, Gotcha! and so on).

In terms of realism and meaningful design, Doom games are about as amateur and ridiculous as it gets but I am not going to start judging it on realism any time soon.

Lyric Suite said:
Plus, Doom still has one of the best array of arsenal of any FPS.

:what:

The only weapon that isn't completely standard is the BFG9000. You could make the case that Doom influenced every other game since to have nearly the same selection of weapons, but I would hardly say it had an especially good selection. Duke Nukem 3D reigns supreme in that regard IMO.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Overweight Manatee said:
Lyric Suite said:
Plus, Doom still has one of the best array of arsenal of any FPS.

The only weapon that isn't completely standard is the BFG9000. You could make the case that Doom influenced every other game since to have nearly the same selection of weapons, but I would hardly say it had an especially good selection. Duke Nukem 3D reigns supreme in that regard IMO.

"could make the case?" It is the case. Doom set the standard for weapon layouts in FPS games. For 4 years there was almost no change in the layout, which was like this:

1: Weak/powerful melee attack.
2: Weak pistol.
3: Shotgun.
4: Machine gun.
5: Rocket Launcher.
6: Powerful weapon.
7: Über-powerful room clearer weapon.

The next game to come along and change this structure? Duke Nukem 3D, which added "Grenade weapon" between "Rocket Launcher" and "Powerful weapon", and added a new category: "Powerful but harmful weapon."

If we look at the weapons themselves, we see FPS after FPS for the next 4 years try to distance themselves from the above layout by coming up with the most original and/or wacky weapons you can imagine. Duke3D tried this with the high-end weapons, Blood went all out batshit insane with its weapons. It wasn't until Half-Life came along with the shift to realism that we saw the industry make some serious attempts to change the standard layout. It took 8 years for another FPS game to use a chainsaw, that was how strong Doom's claim to the weapon was.

But as for playing Doom 2 on Ultra-Violence: I'm not the greatest FPS player out there, but Doom 1 wasn't even a challenge on UV, and the only time Doom 2 was a challenge on UV was around level 9 and 10 where I kept running into ammo problems. For some reason I never considered Final Doom to be "official" in any way, so I didn't play them until recently with the Aeons of Death mod. AoD jacks up the difficulty of Doom considerably, so imagine how Final Doom is like in AoD on UV.

DefJam101

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
Dicksmoker said:
You don't "aim" so much as point in the general direction of an enemy, for one. If the game was just shooting and nothing else, it would be ass. Think about it - it really would.

Bullshit. Doom may have been limited to an horizontal axis only but you still needed a good aim,
Uh, no.

You need a little timing (strafing in and out of cover) but that's it. Most doom weapons are spray n' pray, all you need to do is stay alive long enough for them to work.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Bullshit. Ammo conservation is very important and all the really powerful weapons are non-hitscan (blah blah blah SSG, well the reload time means it has a very low DPS, please forgive the gay terminology, which is important when you need to clear a room of enemies. Plus it's absolutely useless at range) so aiming does become important then. You're right in the sense that you don't have to headshot everything but if you're not using your weapons appropriately you're going to die, full stop.

DefJam101

Arcane
Using weapons appropriately is not the same thing as just aiming well. Obviously someone wasting all of their rockets on a crowd of zombiemen is going to die; that does not make firing rockets into a crowd of large monsters any more difficult.

Doom is still hard, it's just not an aiming game. More of a, I dunno, "technique" FPS. Learning how to run in and out of cover, using chokepoints, timing rockets & BFG shots, choosing targets, etc.

Zomg

Arbiter
Well you don't really have to impugn the weapons as spray and pray in themselves, it's enough that terrain is usually flat and aiming is 1-D. It's not like aiming aiming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom