Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts about the story of the next Witcher game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dont-expect-witcher-4-anytime-soon/1100-6429507/

Don't Expect Witcher 4 Anytime Soon
"It deserves some rest," CD Projekt Red says about The Witcher franchise.

There will be more Witcher to play soon with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's New Game Plus mode and itssubstantial-sounding paid expansions. But when can fans expect The Witcher 4, or whatever comes next?

Not anytime soon, according to CD Projekt Red.

CEO Marcin Iwinski says in the September issue of Game Informer that CD Projekt Red has not even thought about what's next for The Witcher franchise.

"Honestly speaking, we have not," Iwinski said.

CD Projekt Red previously stated that The Witcher 3 would be the last game in the series with Geralt as its protagonist. If there is to be another game, presumably a different hero would take over. But whatever the case, this isn't happening in the near future.

Instead, CD Projekt Red is focusing on its upcoming, dystopian RPG, Cyberpunk 2077.

"It deserves some rest," Iwinski said about The Witcher series. "The past 10 years the team has been working on swords and castles and medieval Slavic monsters. So I think it's time for some guns, androids, and some ammo. And a necropolis. So this is what we'll be working on.

Iwinski went on to say that the world of The Witcher is ripe with storytelling opportunities, but stopped short of revealing any plans for a future game.

"We definitely are not annualizing a franchise or anything--it's about the experience," he said about The Witcher. "The world of The Witcher is gigantic and it's great to tell these stories, but I don't know when this will happen."

There appears to be a clear business opportunity for another Witcher game, as The Witcher 3 racked up four million sales in just two weeks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Witchering? You should be glad if 2018 holds Cyberpunking. With their current dev times, the next Witcher game might be in the 2020s.

The Outsider

Novice
One content-rich Witcher game every 4-5 years is better than throwing one yearly without much new content *cough* Assassin's Creed *cough*.

Name

Cipher
Their mobile foray (tabletop adaptation and moba arena) doesn't work out well, right? Those were the only projects besides Wild Hunt and Cyberpunk?

Anyway idea for next game: Ballad Heroes!
A story about Dandelion and friends by Dandelion with constant unreliable narration (like Monster-Slaying-Dandelion and Witcher-Saving-Dandelion) that serves some grander story purpose.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They should have consulted him on the story from the first game and after.
Don't know why that wasn't the case.
Maybe he wanted more money or he doesn't consider games a serious format for telling stories.
Generation gap maybe.
Well, they did consult him. If you happened to watch the documentary that they included in Twitcher inhanced edition, they approached him and at first, he was completely appalled by the game, but eventually he worked with them on some aspects of the game (such as the map, which he heavily criticized early on).

He even stated things like Geralt didn't really die at the end of his novels or w/e and that the prologue to the game was appropriate.

Seems like he reneged on all of that though, with the quotes that you posted later on.

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Witcher: Origins

You create a character and play as The Chosen Witcher, choosing one of a few backgrounds and seeing how a human child suffers the mutations and everything. Then you must stop the return of the Ice Giants. The game takes place in Zerrikania, has dialogue wheels, multisexual romance options, up to 4 party members and you must gather Witcher points to advance the story and improve your Witcher stronghold.

j/k

I would be all in for Ciri. It would probably turn into something that everyone will hate because they will tone down romance and nudity (Ciri is a pure daughteru after all), and as a female protagonist, some guys on the gaming media will praise it as the second coming of Christ while the other half will hate it for that.

The biggest problem, I think, is that Ciri is not a Witcher. She gained a silver sword but that doesn't mean shit, since she can't use potions and is too emotionally attached to everything. A spinoff would work better, but a Witcher IV without Witcher elements would be kinda bad. That, and the fact Ciri is too involved with Geralt, so it still could be considered an extension of his story, depending on how they treated it.

Actually, I don't know what to think. Geralt is such a strong character with such a heavy background (thanks to the books). I don't know how they could make a better character out of nothing who is also a Witcher and doesn't feel like Geralt's expy. Maybe going back to when being a Witcher was more common and there were more monsters in the world would be nice. Like in the example above, it would be nice to see children being mutated and having this abuse as a plot point.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Ciri is too overpowered for my liking, can't see owt being a problem for her after defeating an elemental force that devours planets, plus even wi a supermutant like Geralt I always got feeling that best stuff in all games was when it was his human, fragile side that showed. Thing is I think they've created a good enough world and setting (wi Sapkowskis help) to tell just about any story, for instance i'd play as Roche, Iorveth, Bloody Baron any of the fucking Dwarves from Vergen, and the plot can be purely mundane or political. Though i'd love to focus a whole game on the fairy tale aesthetic that we see in chapter four of the first game, and the three hags of the third game.

Point o fact I think game could benefit from a more humble protagonist, gi us a broader palette o skills, equipment, and choices to make. Even though you could define Geralt to a larger extent than most RPG protagonists, who are mainly left as undefined stat points, he was limited to still being him which was a benefit and a drawback. A smaller game set in say something like No Man's Land, wi you being just a peasant wanting to survive the war, and all the weird shit around you, now that could be good.

Obviously you'd need to write a killer script to motivate that character, wi different paths and reactivity up the wazoo. You don't want DA2 syndrome where you derp around in a boring city doing what you're told for no reason for years at a time, in middle of a senseless conflict that's nothing to do wi you. You'd need someat deeply personal I reckon.

Could CDPR deliver such a thing? Don't really know.

Last edited:

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I would play a turn-based strategy game about the war, with the Bloody Baron playable and a base management system similar to Divinity: Dragon Commander. Plus this every time Bloody Baron appears. I just can't see a new Witcher game instead of a spinoff in the same world.

Trotsky

Arcane
I'm glad CD Projekt Red believes in looking forward and not backward. After Cyberpunk Witcher 1 and 2 should get remade with the gameplay/graphics of the third game including Gwent repackaged into a trilogy remaster ultimate edition. I just can't see anything else being workable. Having contemplated a number of the ideas the only viable installment would like a DA:O type game set in the Witcher universe. The setting and lore would make it good but the concept is also stale and too much of a copied formula.

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm glad CD Projekt Red believes in looking forward and not backward. After Cyberpunk Witcher 1 and 2 should get remade with the gameplay/graphics of the third game including Gwent repackaged into a trilogy remaster ultimate edition. I just can't see anything else being workable. Having contemplated a number of the ideas the only viable installment would like a DA:O type game set in the Witcher universe. The setting and lore would make it good but the concept is also stale and too much of a copied formula.
Remake Witcher 2 so it has worse graphics than the original?

typical user

Arbiter
Remake Witcher 2 so it has worse graphics than the original?

Really, you care only about graphics?

There is stiill place for another Witcher game where we put skillpoints, select mutagens/traits and create our own Witcher and then decide if we want to be monster slayer or assassin for hire. That could work nicely in Nilfgaard with Viper School resurrected thanks to Letho. Gameplay wise CDPR needs to step up from cutscenes to actual RPG with diversified combat and all of that requiring thinking. I think they can do that, Witcher 3 is huge step up from previous installments gameplay-wise.

Tytus

Arcane
Well there is one way out for a fresh sequel Sapkowski gave them in Time of Contempt. In the second (fourth) book Ciri meets, a guy and has a vision about him. Through which she learns that in the future he will lead an expedition across the sea and will find a new continent. Here comes the part I came up with - A new continent that never had Witchers, but because of the nature of Conjuction of the Spheres - there were monsters. So people there had to learn how to deal with them in their own way. It would be an interesting spin-off if we were playing as one of the others Witchers (Eskel or Lambert) or an entire new player character Witcher that sails west to fight monsters and to escape the prejudice. But finds colonists under attack not only by monsters but albo by people who sacrifice other people to the monsters regullary (much like Aztecs) to keep their civilazation going and to get monsters of their back. The moral dillemma alone - is it ok, to fight people that don't know better because all their lives they were subjegated to a oppresive realigion would great. But it would be probably too detached from the main series and would require, a lot of work for making the setting/art design/continent - so I doubt they will do it.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Anything that doesn't even remotely involve Ciri will be super-welcome. She's as hideous in the books as she has proven detrimental to the videogame.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Anything that doesn't even remotely involve Ciri will be super-welcome. She's as hideous in the books as she has proven detrimental to the videogame.

:rpgcodex:

Here's what potato author thought, and his fanboys (CDPR included) wholeheartedly embraced:

"Sure, let's turn this great saga about a cocky, snarky, no-nonsense, grumpy, grungy, 100% white badass monster hunter into a teenage romance. A little bit of lesbian love here, some attempted rape there, oh wait I forgot the whole child-of-destiny/chosen-one clichè, it worked out so well for that Rowling tramp, not to mention those lovely Star Wars prequels! Feels like yesterday when they released those in theatres! Wait, it actually was yesterday, here in potato. Actually you know what? Fuck the grumpy motherfucker, let's just make the whoe saga about the teenager girl! I get so frisky when I write about her, picturing her fit body dashing around... In any case, teenage readers are so much easier to please, pander, shock and awe than adults! Gaider got that much right, too! And there you go. See? It works? Now my works are even being quickly translated into English, no more 15 years delay in translation and release. Hell, I was so right. I was so right I'm horny, and when I'm horny, I feel like stuffing my face with potatoes. Yes, even now that I cashed in loads of money thanks to that tight-butted, white-haired, perky-nippled, moist-labiaed slut. Omnomnomnom, potatoes" (Cit.).

Sjukob

Arcane
:bro:
I also wouldn't like to see Yennefer .

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Next witcher game is planned to be Ciri I think, at least that's what the leaked documents foretold.

Same as the books. Less Geralt, more and more and more faggotry-popamole-banalshitboring-GeorgeLucas. Attaway, CDPR. Fucking potatoes and their teenager erotic fetishes.

Inziladun

Magister
I think a good way to transition into a new lead would be to have Geralt take on another Tutelage. Sure it's a bit unoriginal and it's already been done in the form of Ciri, but it'd make sense with any of the endings of the Witcher 3. Whether it be Geralt being bored holed up with Triss/Yenn, i'd find it hard to believe he'd be going out of his way to kill epic monsters, but can easily see him using a student as a hobby of sorts and an excuse to keep his own skills/body sharp. Or if everyone leaves him, including Ciri, it could easily be portrayed as him seeking that of which he lost (a semblance of a family.) It'd also just make sense for Geralt to evolve into a Vesemir type character, considering Geralt himself viewed him as a Father almost.

Maybe not original as far as stories go, but it just makes sense. It'd also allow the player an Opportunity to customize their character any way they see fit, provide a sensible reason to reintroduce some of the recurring characters, and gives CDProjekt free reign on which direction to take the story all while having a "passing of the torch" to connect the player to the previous series. An old Grumpy Geralt would also be pretty fun to talk with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom