Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This War of Mine is bretty good

St. Toxic

Arcane
Is this game about civilian life in Ukraine?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Really great game.

I have to say, some moments really struck a depressive nerve with me. Stealing medicine from an elderly couple. Murdering the husband of a woman, she collapses, then looting their house.

Does anybody know what the involvement of War Child (logo at beginning) with this is?

Multi-headed Cow

This game is SO GODDAMN GOOD. Brut gave this to me as a Christmas present. Marathonned 4 hours of it this evening. Relatively safe bet that it's going to be my best Christmas present this year. Pushing nearly two weeks surviving in this game and I'm in a pretty good spot now. Had some tough resource management and some close calls on scavenging runs but I'm pulling through. Kept my evil shit limited to robbing one house relatively early on and not helping some people buried under a house (murdering bandits for their sugar doesn't count). Even then I had sadness and depression off and on until Music Lady arrived, I helped put up some rape-boarding on some other lady's house, and saved a baby.

Certainly hope they keep working on it and adding more stuff (Either as free and/or paid) since they nailed the basic gameplay so well. Dunno if they'd ever want to do a whole new scenario/warzone, but just some expansion packs of more survivors/locations/safehouse items would be cool. Probably the one thing that sticks out to me as being missed is having the locations change/get scavenged as time goes on. Currently as far as I'm aware if you kill and clear out an area it'll never get picked over or lose resources or have new friendly/neutral/enemy characters show up on subsequent looting runs. It'd keep you on your toes a bit more if you couldn't 100% safely return to that location in the nude to start strapping 2X4s to yourself. As harsh as the game can be though maybe that'd be a bit much.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
While this game looks interesting, that SuperBunnyHop review is the fastest way to turn people AWAY from the game. Everything about that review felt wrong to me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
[QUOTE="Multi-headed Cow, post: 3663696, member: 10180"Probably the one thing that sticks out to me as being missed is having the locations change/get scavenged as time goes on. Currently as far as I'm aware if you kill and clear out an area it'll never get picked over or lose resources or have new friendly/neutral/enemy characters show up on subsequent looting runs.[/QUOTE]

Afaik no additional hostiles ever show up but you can definitely lose resources you didn't pick before. Happened to me one time too many. :mad:

Multi-headed Cow

Afaik no additional hostiles ever show up but you can definitely lose resources you didn't pick before. Happened to me one time too many. :mad:
Oh shit. Guess I need to pay closer attention to my looting then. Although I did notice that bodies disappear since I shanked the bandit with the shotgun and took his stuff, and unfortunately by the time I shanked the AR bandit I had to flee the dawn like a vampire. Came back next day and no AR body to loot.

Still, I am glad to hear that.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
I didn't really like the reviews on the game, but now im interested. You fucks hate everything so this must be actually good.
Too bad im real short in money

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh shit. Guess I need to pay closer attention to my looting then. Although I did notice that bodies disappear since I shanked the bandit with the shotgun and took his stuff, and unfortunately by the time I shanked the AR bandit I had to flee the dawn like a vampire. Came back next day and no AR body to loot.

Yeah bodies disappear but that's a rule you can spot immediately. But the loot disappearing is less regular. I think it's related to winter starting but not 100 percent sure. All I know is once I looted the Garage, killed the guy even (thought he was a baddie) and discovered his phat loot in the basement. It was a HUGE stash so I squirrelled everything into one pile but when I came back it was all gone. It was also the day winter started but it could've been a coincidence.

Btw loot can "appear" too. I had a 98% completed area and after a few days I noticed it had changed to 78 percent. Curious I went there and discovered a few brand new caches with medicine and food. Not sure what the reasoning behind that is tho.

Multi-headed Cow

Curious I went there and discovered a few brand new caches with medicine and food. Not sure what the reasoning behind that is tho.
Stalker stashes, maybe. People using the empty location as their lair and then you rob 'em?

And it may be a winter thing I guess. Winter hasn't hit me yet, I've currently got increased bandit activity going on so I boarded up absolutely everything and leave two guards every night.

I didn't really like the reviews on the game, but now im interested. You fucks hate everything so this must be actually good.
Can't say as I've really looked at reviews for this, but if the reviews weren't great I can only assume it was because they were focusing on "INDIE GAME MAKES YOU FEEL BAD, GAMES IS ART, I ART CRITIC" instead of talking about the actual gameplay.

Heresiarch

Prophet
This game is seriously stressful. It doesn't help that I play it right one week after playing Papers, Please.

Technically speaking this game is quite similar to a lot of survivor themed games, especially stuff like Rebuild. Though it is a survivor game without zombies nor post-apocalyptic mutant monsters nor even your average monster, the game is surely very oppressing.

I haven't tasted eastern Europe hells of war but I do have been in Panama during their war with the US. The constant gunshots annoyed (not necessary scared) the fuck out of me (I was like 6 or 7 and I hated loud noises) and my dad got robbed by some niggers at knife point. So I do believe that the game reflects the facts quite realistically - daytime is big-no-no to go out because you can be shot randomly while during night time you may be mobbed by opportunistic dudes. At least my family had no food problem during that time.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

Nah, Codex simply has extremely bipolar tastes. It'll love one game for the same reasons it shits on another game for.

Black

Arcane
So this and Crime Cities are proof that Potato can into video games.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I miss the time when games were about entertainment and weren't trying to depress you with deeyp and relevant "messages".

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Bought the game yesterday, been playing all night.

Awesome music, awesome atmosphere. Feels very authentic. I felt really bad during some decisions (robbing the old couple, the man doesn't even turn aggressive and just follows you begging you to don't take the medicine for his wife)

Bought the game for a friend of mine as well just because I like it so much.

Multi-headed Cow

Ended up crushing the game when I wasn't murdering people. For future runs I may give myself a no rat trap house rule since that put me on easy street as far as food was concerned. Might also limit myself to normal moonshine instead of pure alcohol for trading since you can do really well with that. War ended somewhere around day 40 and I had a stash of a good 20+ canned food left, plus some small foods, plus whatever I'd get from my traps, plus lots of high value items if I needed to trade for food. Building the early rat traps got me an assload of food over the course of the whole game.

Also gotta say getting a tier 3 metal work bench doesn't seem worth it. Shotguns/assault rifles sell for a ton when they're repaired, but you probably won't find THAT many broken ones and it's really expensive upgrading the work bench. Being able to make ammo might be useful but it also ends up being questionable, you get 1 ammo for 1 shell casing, 1 gunpowder, and 1 part. Especially since you can trade for ammo reasonably well (Especially if you're making pure alcohol) plus you get a bunch of you murder some bandits. Upgrading the stove seems a little iffy too. Didn't make a garden so I'm not sure how well making cigs/medicine/vegetables works out. If I really wanna try hard mode I could try a game without making booze at all. Might even make the rat traps balanced just because you can't trade for shit constantly and you'd be scraping by for food harder.

gud gaem

Khorne

Arbiter
Very dramatic experience. Had a soldier leave the house due to mortal wound and depression.
Next morning, the trader woman ends herself and the only one left, not sure if cook or handyman, just complains about the lack of smokes.
This game is easily 10/10 even if only because of sheer amount of salt & wound.
The AI could be better, like for example the rapist soldier will never look at top floor of the supermarket if you interrupt him and hide there.
He will just leave the place, instead of looking around. Though his ability to oneshot anyone without armor makes up for poor decision making.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
One of the more recent patches added Kustom Krieg Kompanion mode to the game. You can make your own survivors (some with more useful skills than others) and tweak a ton of stuff on how hard youw ant the game to be. I had a really rotten run of luck in my last game though. Winter hit early and everyone got sick. bleh.

Anyway, I usually don't care for survival games. But TWoM has so far managed to keep me entertained with its random events and (a)moral dilemmas.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Welp, made it to the last day on my custom (very short) game. Things I learned:

- MHC is wrong. Rat traps are arse. Made one, kept it baited, it only caught a single rat over the course of the entire game. Maybe I placed it incorrectly, but none of the other crafting areas are location sensitive.
- Katia is really good (I ran with bartergirl, cook and slow but hauls a lot). I bartered excess stuff (guns early on, alcohol/cigs/medicine late when I could make them) and got tons of wood and materials in return. This freed up my bagspace when scavenging for more useful stuff
- When scavenging a non-hostile area, don't loot the first loot node you get to. Instead, sweep through the entire place and bring all the loot back to the lootnode near the entrance. Then take your pick. Next time you go back, everything will be where you left it.
- 2 upgraded ovens is overkill. But one upgraded open + 1 regular is mandatory for winter or you'll run out of fuel.
- Get metalworking station, shovel, bed, stove, crowbar, upgrade metalworking, hatchet asap. Clear out your house and chop up the furniture plus you'll need the crowbar and shovel for scavenging
- Always end the day with a water filter when it isn't snowing. That way you can start your rain collector first thing in the morning and get 2 full cycles of water every day
- Never give/trade away your last bandage, (herbal) medicine or canned food
- Always keep house at 16 degrees or above. it's easier to get fuel than enough pills to make someone healthy
- Mid-game goals should be both types of still and a herbalist table. Cigarettes, alcohol and bandages are excellent bartering goods
- Don't steal or fight unless you're utterly desparate. The happiness hit for being pragmatic isn't worth it
- Don't feed your people unless they're very hungry
- As soonas you upgrade workbench, start stockpiling wood to fix the holes in your house. Les sholes = les speople showing up at night and stabbing you so you need bandages

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Welp, made it to the last day on my custom (very short) game. Things I learned:

- MHC is wrong. Rat traps are arse. Made one, kept it baited, it only caught a single rat over the course of the entire game. Maybe I placed it incorrectly, but none of the other crafting areas are location sensitive.
- When scavenging a non-hostile area, don't loot the first loot node you get to. Instead, sweep through the entire place and bring all the loot back to the lootnode near the entrance. Then take your pick. Next time you get back it's over with right quick

Weird, for me two rat traps is a must otherwise you don't get any meat for the soup. One trap should score once in two/three days, that's two pieces of meat almost every day. Should be plenty.

Also DON'T bring all the loot to one big pile. Stuff on the ground can and does disappear. No idea what triggers it (might be winter, might be random) and it happens relatively rarely but I lost a ton of good shit that way.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Huh. Weird. I never had anything disappear. (At least I think so. I can't recall everything from the piles). I generally went to the same place 2-3 nights in a row to drain the pile of all the good stuff.

Also, my rat trap is now on day 8 with bait (fertilizer) and nothing caught. considering what those 10 gears could've gone into in terms of upgrading my stations it seems like a really crummy deal.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Huh. Weird. I never had anything disappear. (At least I think so. I can't recall everything from the piles). I generally went to the same place 2-3 nights in a row to drain the pile of all the good stuff.

As I said, happens rarely but does happen. Also the better strategy is to take the most valuable stuff first because the location could become closed off due to fighting.

Also, my rat trap is now on day 8 with bait (fertilizer) and nothing caught. considering what those 10 gears could've gone into in terms of upgrading my stations it seems like a really crummy deal.

That's almost certainly a glitch of some kind. Never had a trap unproductive for more than 3 or 4 days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom