Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This War of Mine is bretty good

kain30

Cipher
my god, i´m going to buy it now, i love developers that aren´t morons or crybabies

Ironmonk

Augur
Does anyone have any idea how the combat actually works? Lost one of my dudes because I thought I could shank a guy with my knife while he was climbing a ladder. Instead, my dude waited like a gentleman until the other guy had descended, only to be shot in the face with a shotgun. I thought I had knifed people while on ladders before but I guess I was mistaken?

I saw a video on youtube about this game combat, and by the looks of it and the words of the guy, the combat is RNG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLbBJ6z1z54

Btw, isn't this game in the wrong section, shouldn't it be on "Sims and City Builders"?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Does anyone have any idea how the combat actually works? Lost one of my dudes because I thought I could shank a guy with my knife while he was climbing a ladder. Instead, my dude waited like a gentleman until the other guy had descended, only to be shot in the face with a shotgun. I thought I had knifed people while on ladders before but I guess I was mistaken?

I saw a video on youtube about this game combat, and by the looks of it and the words of the guy, the combat is RNG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLbBJ6z1z54

Btw, isn't this game in the wrong section, shouldn't it be on "Sims and City Builders"?

Well combat is more like a clusterfuck, really. But I guess it's intentional, at least partly. Combat is usually clusterfuck even for trained veterans, let alone for scared shitless civilians.

As for the section, it's definitely not a building game and I'm not sure it's a sim. I guess it's up to the mods to shuffle it around as they see fit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-27-this-war-of-mine-made-its-money-back-in-just-two-days

It took just two days for This War of Mine to make its money back
Less than 11 per cent of players managed to see the end of war.

It took 11 Bit Studios' This War of Mine, described by Eurogamer's Martin Robinson as "The Sims by way of 90s Sarajevo", just two days of sales to cover the cost of development.

jpg

The game has been in or around Steam's top sellers list since it launched on 14th November.

Unlike many other war games, This War of Mine tasks you with babysitting survivors of an unnamed war.

Another interesting statistic released by 11 Bit today: less than 11 per cent of players managed to see the end of war.

"Of course we're happy with commercial success, but most of all we are happy with great feedback from gamers and from reviewers," senior writer Pawel Miechowski told Eurogamer.

"Games are all around us since decades so the creators and community perceive them as natural/popular form of storytelling. And so you could see it in Papers, Please or Gods Will Be Watching - these are games that tackle really well with serious topics through their fantastic gameplay. And we had the feeling we were making this experience in a right way.

"But that doesn't mean we were sure This War of Mine would be commercially and critically acclaimed. Not at all. You never know how eventually a game will do when released. So now we're very happy to see so many supportive words from the community, especially if you consider that This War of Mine is a serious experience."

So what's next for This War of Mine?

"We're thinking on how to substantially expand the experience of This War of Mine so I hope to share details soon in December," Miechowski continued. "Also, engine programmers Rafal Podkowinski and Robert Przygoda are starting to work on tablet version planned for sometime in 2015."

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
i like what i have seen bout that game (mood, artwork, story, gameplay) but how is replayability? i watched some vids and how the guys experimented with the micro- management until they figured it out. and by that i mean, until they found one way to survive.
still, can someone who has played it for some time say smtg bout the replayability?

Borelli

Arcane
Managed to finish the game on my third try (first two were abandoned around day 16 because i fucked things up). At day 42 the war ended with most of my people being sick, wounded and hungry (i've exhausted nearly all of the map). Started with two useless charactes even (school teacher and an old guy). Only then have i visited the wiki and read "full belly helps with recovery" while i was keeping them hungry all the time and feeding only when very hungry:oops:. Starting moonshine production early helped with my economy while waiting too long for the garden made my life difficult. Killed only one person who was a thug so nobody cared.

Started a new one, 3 starting characters are handyman, strong guy who can carry 17 slots and a lawyer woman. This is going to be an easy game i thought until i realized ... i've started in winter. Sure you start with a stove but it isn't upgraded (max temperature is around 16 with max fuel) and couple that with the fact that melting snow requires fuel and higher wood prices and you get a goddamn crisis from day one. Luckily i have managed to survive through it, will see how things go on from now.

Main advice i would give for this game is - don't collect useless things, putting 4 components in a bag > putting 1 gunpowder (i've never reached that stage where i produce my own ammo)

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Completed my first game, the war ended on day 50-ish. I never had any major problems like food shortages even with five survivors. (started with Katia, Pavle and Bruno, Emilia and Marin joined later) Everyone survived to the end. It was very easy unfortunately. Towards the end it was rather boring as I was just going through the motions since I had plentiful food, weapons, parts etc. Nobody was sick, wounded or hungry.

Good game, but I won't be playing it again until they add some new content or different scenarios/options to make it more interesting and challenging.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm playing this. It rocks.

My sole issue with the game is that it could stands to teach you how basic combat works before throwing you into it. I had to restart because I got totally smashed due to the fact that I no idea at all how it worked :lol:

However know that I know the basics, it's really fun.

Question: why are pistols so weak when they require ammo while melee weapons just take one slots and no consumables?

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Ok finished the game at day 37. What a great game!

A few general tips and stuff you find out later on:

1) there are total of 10 survivors (i think), the first 3 (cook, scavenger and fast runner) are always the same UNTIL you reach day 10 (correct me if i am wrong). You can get max of 4 people at the same time (possibly if one dies, at some point you get a knock at the door, but not 100% sure)

Fast runner - self explanatory
Good cook - spends less mats for making food/moonshine/alcohol
Scavenger - 15 spaces in backpack for night missions
Carpenter - less mats for house improvement
Barter lady - better barter prices
Sneaking girl - can run without making a noise
Math dude - dead weight
Old lady who loves kids - dead weight
Strong but slow - 17 space backpack, but walks/runs slowly (correct me if i am wrong)
Rebel dude - think he aims better or does more dmg with weapons (not sure about this one)

In my first playthrough i got to about day 20ish (cant remember really) and i encountered a game breaking bug (clicking on the workstation didnt have any effect, so couldnt build anything). Had the standard party (runner, cook, scavenger), also on day 7 the carpenter joined.
When i restarted, to my suprise i got a completely different one - started off with the carpenter, barter girl and the sneaking girl, at day 7 the scavenger (Marko) joined. ALSO THE GAME STARTED IN WINTER!
(note - this group has it all covered - carpenter for base improvement, barter girl for well, barter and sneak girl for asassinations to prep the place for the scavenger dude).
AFAIK if you get the dead weight dudes you get some bonus stuff around the house (free bed and something i think)

2) starting tips:
- after making 2 beds and a cookplace, make a tooltable and build a shovel and crowbar, these are essential, also a bit later on make an AXE (you can chop furniture with this for wood and fuel - makes winter time easier, also you can chop some furniture IN YOUR HOUSE - free mats)
- feed your peeps only when they get the "very hungry" state, went the entire game with them being "hungry" and didnt see no side effect to that
- at the start of each day, the person who scavenged should be sent to bed (eating prior to that in case of very hungry)
- in case of "sad", get em drunk and let em sleep it off
- moonshine/alcohol aint bad, but the best barter options are meds (both homemade or real ones)
- mid game when you can afford it, make at least 1 herb garden and upgrade it - you can make loads of vegetables cheap and also make herbs which you turn into homemade/real meds for personal use /barter
- make those little traps for catching rats, think in the updated game you can make only 2, but its enough. It will spawn some food every 2 days or something, and if you have some veggies (grown or bartered) you shouldnt have probs with food.

3) combat
Guns werent really satisfactory to my taste since i steathed and skulked my way around.
eep a few guns in your house in case of robbers but the best weapon is the KNIFE - you can BACKSTAB with it for oneshot kills.
I would usually take the sneak girl with a knife, crowbar, shovel and those sawblades (for sawing through iron grates). Would comb the map, opened every door etc and prep the area for the heavy hauling the following nights with my scavenger dude.

I only killed the bad dudes with backstabbing, and never stole from the good ones, that way there wasnt much sadness or mental problems in the house.

There is definitely some replay value, think il go with a ruthless party next time - will kill off everyone and steal everything thats not nailed down.

Will write more as i can think of it!

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Forgot to mention, make a KNIFE early on as well - the most profitable locations usually have 2-3 douchebags with assault rifles or shotguns in em.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
No need for added furnaces, just keep 3-4 fuel inside the one you have (if you start at winter time you get a free furnace) at all times to keep the temperature above zero (usually it was something around 4-5 max).
Also if you peeps get slightly sick keep em in their beds during the day, i only spent medicine if my night-time-designated scavenger would get sick.
I was planning on upgrading the furnace but was short on mats at the start, by the time i had enough the winter passed so there was no need for that.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
One of my guys got immediately sick due to low temperature so I thought you should try to reach normal indoor temperature (somewhere close to +20 C). It'd be nice to know what kind of temperature is high enough for there not being possibility to become sick.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Don't know tbh, but him getting sick is probably RNG, the low temperature of course makes it easier but its not just the temp itself. I did with 1 furnace easily enough, and the winter lasted maybe the first 10 days or so (maybe a little longer).

On a side note, think they should tone down the need for so much FILTERS, i agree its needed for moonshine, but each time i want some rainwater i need a fresh filter, now thats just downright stupid.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One of my guys got immediately sick due to low temperature so I thought you should try to reach normal indoor temperature (somewhere close to +20 C). It'd be nice to know what kind of temperature is high enough for there not being possibility to become sick.

It's either 15 or 16 (not sure which one) at which point the meter goes from black to red. In winter you absolutely must build two upgraded heaters if you don't wanna your people go sick all the time. If you have only one and fill it to the max (6 fuel), overnight the temperature drops to single digits which is not good.

I always build two and before I go out scavenging I put 5 fuel in each of them. That way when I return home in the morning the temperature hovers safely around 16. I've never gottten anybody sick.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Interesting. Only had one and since i started in winter by the time i had nuff mats to upgrade it the winter was over

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Interesting. Only had one and since i started in winter by the time i had nuff mats to upgrade it the winter was over

I don't know how variable the length and severity of the winter are but my winters always lasted for about a week, with couple of days really freezing. And I never have enough medicine to keep my people all functional without two heaters that long. But I've seen people claiming on various forums they can do with just one heater so I guess it depends.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I had five survivors in my group at once, not sure about more than that though. I only needed one un-upgraded heater and I survived winter fine, although I did use some medicine.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I had five survivors in my group at once, not sure about more than that though. I only needed one un-upgraded heater and I survived winter fine, although I did use some medicine.

Did you start with 4 of em and the 5th joined after a week, or you got em on separate occasions?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Did you start with 4 of em and the 5th joined after a week, or you got em on separate occasions?

I started with three and the two others joined separately later.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Nice, didnt know that. Thought you could only get 1 more

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom