Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline This is why we need more Grand Strategy Developers...

So I'm stuck with a crappy computer and I want to slake my Grand Strategy thirst, but EU2 FTG and Crusader Kings I are the only games that work on my shitty notebook (Victoria 1 doesn't work because of the shitty resolution). So I decide to see if I can find more grand strategy games and here's what I see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_grand_strategy_video_games

Paradox, Paradox everywhere, and all their games I've either already played, are too old for me or I can't play.

List
Year Game Developer Setting Platform Notes
1983 Nobunaga's Ambition Koei Historical GB, GEN, MSX, NES, SNES First title in the series.
1985 Colonial Conquest SSI Historical APPII, ATR, ST, C64
1985 Romance of the Three Kingdoms Koei Historical DOS, FM7, MSX, AMI, NES, PC88, SNES, WS, X1 First title in the series.
1989 Romance of the Three Kingdoms II Koei Historical DOS, PC88, PC98, MSX2, AMI, NES, SNES, GEN, WS, PS1, WIN9X Sequel to Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
1989 Storm Across Europe SSI Historical C64, AMI, DOS
1991 World Empire Viable Historical DOS, WIN
1992 Romance of the Three Kingdoms III: Dragon of Destiny Koei Historical DOS, PC98, X68K, FMT, PCE, SNES, GEN, SCD, PS1, WIN9X Sequel to Romance of the Three Kingdoms II.
1993 Clash of Steel SSI Historical WIN
1994 Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire Koei Historical DOS, PC98, SNES, S32X, PS1, SAT, DC, WIN9X, VC Sequel to Romance of the Three Kingdoms III: Dragon of Destiny.
c. 1995 Age of Discovery Email Games Historical PBEM, WIN Alternate version of Global Diplomacy with randomized maps.
c. 1995 Global Diplomacy Email Games Historical PBEM, WIN
1997 Imperialism Frog City Historical MAC, WIN
1997 Romance of the Three Kingdoms V Koei Historical DOS, PS1, PSP Sequel to Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire.
1998 Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI: Awakening of the Dragon Koei Historical WIN9X, PS1, PSP Sequel to Romance of the Three Kingdoms V.
2000 Europa Universalis Paradox Historical WIN First title in the series.
2000 Risk II Deep Red Historical WIN, MAC
2000 Shogun: Total War The Creative Assembly Historical WIN First title in the series.
2000 Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII Koei Historical WIN9X, MAC, PSP, PS1, PS2 Sequel to Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI: Awakening of the Dragon.
2001 Europa Universalis II Paradox Historical WIN Sequel to Europa Universalis.
2001 Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII Koei Historical WIN9X, MAC, PSP, PS2 Sequel to Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII.
2002 Hearts of Iron Paradox Historical WIN, MAC, OSX First title in the series.
2002 Medieval: Total War The Creative Assembly Historical WIN
2003 Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX Koei Historical WIN9X, PS2 Sequel to Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII.
2003 Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun Paradox Historical WIN, OSX First title in the series.
2004 Crusader Kings Paradox Historical WIN First title in the series.
2004 Romance of the Three Kingdoms X Koei Historical WIN9X, PS2 Sequel to Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX.
2004 Rome: Total War The Creative Assembly Historical WIN, OSX
2005 Generation of Chaos Idea Factory Fantasy PSP
2005 Great Invasions Philippe Thibaut and Luca Cammisa Historical WIN
2005 Hearts of Iron II Paradox Historical WIN, OSX Sequel to Hearts of Iron.
2005 Supreme Ruler 2010 BattleGoat Studios Science Fiction WIN First title in the series.
2006 Birth of America SEP BOA Historical WIN
2006 Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday Paradox Historical WIN, OSX Expansion to Hearts of Iron II.
2006 Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Koei Historical WIN, PS2, Wii Sequel to Romance of the Three Kingdoms X.
2006 Victoria: Revolutions Paradox Historical WIN, OSX Expansion to Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun.
2006 Medieval II: Total War The Creative Assembly Historical WIN Sequel to Medieval: Total War
2007 Ageod's American Civil War AGEOD Historical WIN
2007 Crusader Kings: Deus Vult Paradox Historical WIN Expansion to Crusader Kings.
2007 Europa Universalis III: Napoleon's Ambition Paradox Historical WIN Expansion to Europa Universalis III.
2007 Europa Universalis III Paradox Historical WIN Sequel to Europa Universalis II.
2007 Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon Paradox Historical WIN, OSX Expansion to Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday.
2007 Making History: The Calm & The Storm Muzzy Lane Historical WIN
2008 Europa Universalis III: In Nomine Paradox Historical WIN Expansion to Europa Universalis III.
2008 Europa Universalis: Rome Paradox Historical WIN Sequel to Europa Universalis III.
2008 Supreme Ruler 2020 BattleGoat Studios Science Fiction WIN Sequel to Supreme Ruler 2010.
2008 TripleA TripleA team Historical CROSS Clone of the board game, Axis and Allies.
2009 Europa Universalis: Rome – Vae Victis Paradox Historical WIN Expansion to Europa Universalis: Rome.
2009 Hearts of Iron III Paradox Historical WIN, OSX Sequel to Hearts of Iron II.
2009 For the Glory Paradox Historical WIN Stand-Alone Expansion to Europa Universalis II.
2009 Arsenal of Democracy Paradox Historical WIN Stand-Alone Expansion to Hearts of Iron II.
2009 World War 2: Time of Wrath Wastelands Interactive Historical WIN, OSX .
2010 Victoria 2 Paradox Historical WIN, OSX Sequel to Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun.
2010 Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind Paradox Historical WIN, OSX Expansion to Europa Universalis III.
2010 Empire: Total War The Creative Assembly Historical WIN, OSX
2011 Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game Paradox Historical WIN An evolution of Hearts of Iron 2 Armageddon.
2011 Supreme Ruler: Cold War BattleGoat Studios Historical WIN
2011 Sengoku Paradox Historical WIN, OSX
2011 Total War: Shogun 2 The Creative Assembly Historical WIN Sequel to Total War: Shogun
2012 Romance of the Three Kingdoms XII Koei Historical WIN, WiiU, PS3 Sequel to Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI.
2012 Victoria II: A House Divided Paradox Historical WIN, OSX Expansion to Victoria 2.
2012 Crusader Kings II Paradox Historical WIN, OSX, Linux Sequel to Crusader Kings.
2013 Europa Universalis IV Paradox Historical WIN, OSX, Linux Sequel to Europa Universalis III.
2013 March of the Eagles Paradox Historical WIN, OSX
2013 Total War: Rome II The Creative Assembly Historical WIN Sequel to Rome: Total War
2013 The Cold War Era Alina Digital Historical WIN Under development.
2014 East vs. West Paradox Historical WIN, OSX Under development.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Koei games are fucking delicious. Make sure to play Uncharted Water series, not really grand strategy but it will appeal to your lusophilia. Make sure to get the PC version and not the SNES one to prevent savescumming on fucking duels for maximum incline.

As a bonus:
In one character's storyline, some rogue Portuguese noble is trying to form a Neo-Atlantian empire of pirates in Brazil.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This list isnt full both for older and newer games. There is no Two Thrones from Paradox, for example, which while relatively simplistic is similar to their other games. Then there is no Pride of Nations which definitely is a grand strategy as it spans the whole globe, and its relatively new. I'm sure that if you look more you will find more titles. Superpower 1 and 2? Rulers of Nations?

Anyway I could do with another developer like Paradox but with different engine and base to work on. Paradox reuses the same solutions between their games so with each one you know what you are up to with some basic looking around.

dehimos

Augur
This list is incomplete. Where is Genghis Khan? Emperor of Fadings suns? Imperialism II? Etc.

The strategy (except RTS but...) is not a business. Maybe 10 years ago, but now everyone is looking for money wirh shooters and casual games. CA and Paradox have managed to survive by name.

Mortmal

Arcane
At least we have paradox, but even for them the list is missing stuff , have a look at shrapnel games, or desura too, its alway a good idea to browse desura thats where dominion 4 is sold : http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ http://www.desura.com/
As fo rawesome sci fi theres only star dock left (many here wont agree) http://www.stardock.com/ , and distant worlds with its absurd price :http://www.matrixgames.com/products/

Its still possible to find great grand strategy game, while for pure rpgs i completely gave up theres absolutely nothing worth playing , even indies, except action /rpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom