Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is Reddit's idea of role-playing in Morrowind

Lurker47

Savant
I guess the definition of an RPG now is a game where you can eat and sleep anytime you want.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Morrowind is a great game, but it has little in the ways of a reactive world, so all those pretend roleplaying concepts are fucking retarded. If a game actually reacts in some way to you doing a thing, then doing that thing is a valid playstyle. If you do a thing and it doesn't influence anything in the game at all, neither mechanically nor with flavor text, it's retarded.

You can roleplay a nudist in Morrowind because when you walk around entirely naked people tell you to put some clothes on. It is very minor reactivity, but it is reactivity.

If you dress up as a guard and patrol the streets but none of the other guards ever recognize you as one of their own, and there aren't even any criminals you can apprehend, it's retarded because you're doing something that has no effect on anything in the game whatsoever.

Nicely put. Roleplaying is acting out your character in a way that makes sense. The noble paladin doing noble stuff (quests, donating money to beggars, etc.). LARPing is pretending the noble paladin is helping an old woman in Skyrim cross the street just because you walk alongside her.

Zenith

Arbiter
That moment when the video taking a moment to buffer seems intentional.

My God, I hate players like this. This is an unique and wildly varied medium with decades of great, creative games and they treat it like a job. Reality is miserable shit and media distract us from it.

Let me try this for some of my favorite R.P.G.s:

Shin Megami Tensei: Ignore magic and luck because those are silly, irrefutable and vague. Run away from all the demons and angels because they are clearly hallucinations. Go for the neutral path because the others involve choosing between the sides of Heaven and Hell, and neither exist: Death is nothingness.

Zelda: A Link to the Past: After your uncle dies, wander around in the sewer because you no longer have a source of money or advice and will be unable to function in society. Never find the the princess, because she would never be attracted to someone covered in shit and rat chunks.

Superhero League of Hoboken: You cannot possibly have superpowers, clearly radiation poisoning has fucked with your mind and you are living in a junkyard. Stay at your home base and look for a mod that causes you to die of cancer.

Chrono Trigger: Aliens do not exist, time travel would be impossible with Medieval technology and dinosaurs went extinct 63 million years before humans evolved. Lucca's "time machine" is clearly some sort of simulator and while you are stuck there she is probably beating and raping you. Spend the entire game at the fair, go back home when you get bored and quit.

Dark Half: Use cheats to skip the parts involving the evil God because he does not exist. Playing as the Paladin, never save anyone's soul because that also does not exist. Wander around the taverns for long periods, regardless of how much energy it costs, because you need to eat and drink.

Ultima 4: A king who came to a fantasy and refused to bring any modern technology has no right to judge your morality. You are treated as the grand hero, so be the vainglorious conqueror.

Dux

Arcane
I like to RP the fact that my character has shit his pants but tries to play it off by adding a subtle swagger to his gait. There's a lot of layers there, to be sure. I can't get into it the complexity right now but there's a lot of layers to that kind of gameplay. A lot of layers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom