Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is Reddit's idea of role-playing in Morrowind

Eriador

Arbiter
I wonder if they really ever play like this, or if they just post this to sound deep.

Maybe it's both.

Stella Brando

Arcane
I never took Reddit seriously. There always something on the front page that annoyed me. It seems so, I don't know how to describe it, TED Talks! Life Hacks! cheesily modern.

DraQ

Arcane
https://imgur.com/a/kSIOU
kSIOU
And there's your proof.

An autistic, no matter how mild, wouldn't even think of such thing when IRL they would be looking outside desperately avoiding anything that could provoke small talk.

This thread and the 'roleplaying oblivion' article are just raping my gentle brain. I always just powergamed through DF and Morrowind, levitating around and carpet bombing ground targets with fireballs
That's fucking boring, tho.
For the record, beating up 3yos to take their candies isn't much of a sport either.

There is nothing wrong with roleplaying (especially in a game where the context itself is rich enough to be half the fun) as long as you remain attached to the narrative and mechanical framework the game provides.

MWaser

Arbiter
reddit is like 4chan (and, come to think of it, the Dex. And really every website). Most of it is shit, but there are a few pockets here and there that make it worthwhile. Most of the "ask" subs are pretty decent, r/askhistorians in particular is pretty great. Many niche communities can be decent. And, if you're like me and have a weird thing for unironically shitty memes, the website is a gold mine. I can't help myself. It's like a train wreck, you can't look away...
idk m8, I've been on various websites and so far Codex is my favourite when it comes to userbase.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Morrowind is a great game, but it has little in the ways of a reactive world, so all those pretend roleplaying concepts are fucking retarded. If a game actually reacts in some way to you doing a thing, then doing that thing is a valid playstyle. If you do a thing and it doesn't influence anything in the game at all, neither mechanically nor with flavor text, it's retarded.

You can roleplay a nudist in Morrowind because when you walk around entirely naked people tell you to put some clothes on. It is very minor reactivity, but it is reactivity.

If you dress up as a guard and patrol the streets but none of the other guards ever recognize you as one of their own, and there aren't even any criminals you can apprehend, it's retarded because you're doing something that has no effect on anything in the game whatsoever.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
actually good advice if u follow the natural consequences:

1. make video games as inconvenient and full of boring busywork as real life.

2. realize you might as well just do real life busywork because then you at least get paid.

3. quit video games forever

4. harnessing that time become muscular and hueg and successful in all business endeavours

5. live that there CEO $10k/day life

6. Get married

7. Wombyn complains you spend to much time CEO'ing and fucks the pool boy.

8. She fucks off and gets all your money, because vagina

9. Depression

10. Kill self.

Cool name

Arcane
actually good advice if u follow the natural consequences:

1. make video games as inconvenient and full of boring busywork as real life.

2. realize you might as well just do real life busywork because then you at least get paid.

3. quit video games forever

4. harnessing that time become muscular and hueg and successful in all business endeavours

5. live that there CEO $10k/day life

6. Get married

7. Wombyn complains you spend to much time CEO'ing and fucks the pool boy.

8. She fucks off and gets all your money, because vagina Use CEObux and connections to have her accidented

9. Depression Get newer younger hotter version (repeat 6-9 as needed)

10. Kill self. buy immortality serum and join the reptilluminati

11. kill all other reptilluminatis and become master of mankind

12. erase all mention of Reddit and post-Morrowind Bethesda games from the historical record

When you're riding the silt strider, what do you and the driver talk about?

"Are we there yet?"

"Terrible weather we're having, isn't it"

"What's a foyada?"

I will pledge $1000 to the first AAA RPG game to add in realism 'poop and peepee' mechanics as well as the need to eat three meals a day and take breaks from walking every two hours because your legs are tired.

The Necessities of Morrowind mod does just that -except for the pooping part. And it really does turn the game in a walking/eating simulator. You get a bazillion pop-up messages informing you that you are tired/hungry/thirsty all the time, and you spend the game taking naps and cooking.

This is absolutely mind-boggling. I never knew there was a demand for mundane walking simulators like this.

Those are nice if you can reduce the speed at which your wizard needs food badly to manageable levels, if only because it gives a purpose beyond "vendor trash" to all those food and drink items.

When developing your family tree, remember that, according to the lore book Racial Phylogeny, the race of the offspring is determined entirely by the race of the mother, while the father only bestows minor traits such as eye/hair color or how pointy the ears are. Bear this in mind when developing a family tree; remember that your father can still be any race you want; just that your mother has to be the same race as you and all your siblings.

That's a nice lore you have there. It would be a shame if someone were to...ignore it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom