Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

This is how Todd responds to the complaints of the fans

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Romanian_Dude2005, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Lumpygender: ⚧ Arcane

Lumpy
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    They've known about him for a long time, since Morrowind, actually. Only he's not a liar now.

^ Top  
  2. Twinfallsgender: ⚧ Erudite

Twinfalls
    Parrots:
    Yeah they should also have 'You want actual npc dialogue of any decent length and interest? Play Daggerfall and bits of Morrowind, for that is the past'.

^ Top  
  3. Nog Robbingender: ⚧ Scholar

Nog Robbin
    Parrots:
    It's just Beth's attempt at humour over aspects that people have been asking for that they haven't put in the game. Maiq the Liar in MW had much the same - only it seemed funnier (originality maybe). Of course, fan boys will love it and will see those as jibes against all the "whiners". In reality they just seem to be highlighting faults and ommissions in their own game. :roll:

^ Top  
  4. ViolentOppositiongender: ⚧ Arcane

ViolentOpposition
    Parrots:
    In reality, I think that they're just spitting in the faces of all their old fans, from the comfort of their own game... telling them that they don't give a shit about what they think, because they have their new, kiddy Xbox 360 crowd, which will bring in the revenue for a long, long time to come.

^ Top  
  5. Kendargender: ⚧ Novice

Kendar
    Parrots:
    That's the main thing wich makes me loose my faith in Bethesda (not that their was much to loose, though) : it's not really the fact that they remove stuff and screw other, it's mainly because judging from the reasons it has been removed/screwed, there is no way they will reintroduce or correct it.
    There is no reason for the first ES V interview not to feature "let's face it, when you are talking about medieval combat, you are talking about swords".

^ Top  
  6. Section8gender: ⚧ Erudite

Section8
    Parrots:
    My biggest regret about Fallout Tactics 2 getting canned was the fact that we didn't we didn't get to unleash the Dialogue Tree secret encounter upon the world. "You see the dialogue tree. It's brown, shrivelled form obviously hasn't gotten the attention it deserves, but with love and care it would certainly live to bear sweet fruit once more."

That, my friends and colleagues, is a nod to a recognised shortcoming, and a wish that we'd done more. Those Oblivion M'aiq responses come across as pompous at best, and bitter at worst. Instead of coming across as "Sorry we couldn't include all the cool stuff you, the loyal fans, asked for", it comes across as "Fuck your suggestions, we don't regret a thing, because our game is perfect!"

^ Top  
  7. OverrideB1gender: ⚧ Scholar

OverrideB1
    Parrots:
    Somebody sure was pissed off at somebody else when they wrote those, weren't they?

But yes, I agree with ViolentOpposition -- this is spitting in the faces of their long-term fans out of sheer spite.

^ Top  
  8. Saint_Proverbiusgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Saint_Proverbius
    Parrots:
    I still don't think the story line to FOT2 was that bad. Better than robots.

^ Top  
  9. Dogargender: ⚧ Novice

Dogar
    Parrots:
    Just what the fuck are you talking about? Daggerfall was bereft of anything remotely resembling interesting dialogue. In fact there WAS no real dialogue! Asking for directions to the local inn doesn't count.

^ Top  
  10. donglegender: ⚧ Scholar

dongle
    Parrots:
    Yes a couple were missing there. I've gone into the TES:CS just now and extracted all of his dialogue lines:

^ Top  
  11. Sovy Kuroseigender: ⚧ Erudite

Sovy Kurosei
    Parrots:
    What was the storyline to FOT2?

^ Top  
  12. Section8gender: ⚧ Erudite

Section8
    Parrots:
    Hah, serious?

The basic premise was that a GECK had been radiated, and so the "Garden of Eden" it created was full of mutant plants and fungii. Day of the Triffids, Doctor Who and the Seeds of Doom (probably my favourite episode) and the good ol' sci-fi standard of radiation = giant monsters were the big influences.

My favourite aspect of the theme was the idea that you essentially have nature doing its thing and rapidly rejuvenating the desert wastes, but those wacky humans feel the need to oppose it because they don't like the idea of becoming fertilizer. There was a lot of moral ambiguity to explore, so all in all, I think it was a pretty strong setting/narrative behind the game, especially compared to the first with its robots.

^ Top  
  13. Twinfallsgender: ⚧ Erudite

Twinfalls
    Parrots:
    'Dialogue' is probably the wrong term. I was referring to the length of the speech made by quest NPCs in particular. There was a shitload more prose in that game generally than what seems to be present in Oblivion, even if it was not interactive.

You could not re-make Daggerfall with the Oblivion engine, due to the NPC word-count limit.

You played Daggerfall? Ever talk to a witch?

^ Top  
  14. donglegender: ⚧ Scholar

dongle
    Parrots:
    No, silly.

^ Top  
  15. Atrokkusgender: ⚧ Erudite

Atrokkus
    Parrots:
    Did he really say taht?

^ Top  
  16. Balorgender: ⚧ Arcane

Balor
    Parrots:
    No, he didn't. There is nothing about codex in his reply... it does not make them any less smug, however.

^ Top  
  17. Atrokkusgender: ⚧ Erudite

Atrokkus
    Parrots:
    So... he lied to us... in a most loathsome way...

^ Top  
  18. Solikgender: ⚧ Scholar

Solik
    Parrots:
    Eh. I find it kinda funny.

It's the sort of thing I'd put in my game.

^ Top  
  19. Balorgender: ⚧ Arcane

Balor
    Parrots:
    Hmm... come to think of it, he's not the Mai'q the Truthful!
    So, if you will reverse the meaning, it comes out allright. Talking about pointing out flaws in the game...
    So, it may even be self-critique. And I'm serious... not sure if devs really meant it this way, though.

^ Top  
  20. ViolentOppositiongender: ⚧ Arcane

ViolentOpposition
    Parrots:
    I would imagine that that is their spineless fallback. "LOL, guyz, we were just keeding! -- look at his name!".

I'm sure that every word that is coded into that NPC's speech is sincere.

^ Top  
  21. obediahgender: ⚧ Erudite

obediah
    Parrots:
    Me too. They're still dickfuck asshats, but that doesn't mean they can't get a few chuckles out of bending their long term fans over a chair.

^ Top  
  22. Evilhydegender: ⚧ Novice

Evilhyde
    Parrots:
    Found a few more:

FAST TRAVEL
    So much easier to get around these days. Not like the old days. Too much walking. Of course, nothing stops M'aiq from walking when he wants.

THE DAMN FISH STICKS
    M'aiq wishes he had a stick made out of fishies to give to you. Sadly, he does not.

A DIG AT THE GAME FABLE?
    People always enjoy a good fable. M'aiq has yet to find one, though. Perhaps one day.

NO IDEA
    M'aiq longs for a Colovian Fur Helm. Practical, yet stylish. M'aiq is very sad he does not have one.

^ Top  
  23. Cimmerian Nightsgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Cimmerian Nights
    Parrots:
    Muff joke?

^ Top  
  24. Drakrongender: ⚧ Arcane

Drakron
    Parrots:
    If I remenber he had a Colovian Fur Hat in Morrowind, it was a helm in Morrowind.

Consider you can be in Colovian in Oblivion ...

^ Top  
  25. VenomBytegender: ⚧ Scholar

VenomByte
    Parrots:
    From Beth? No chance.

Actually, it's because he was wearing a Colovian Fur Helm in Morrowind

Edit: Damn, beaten to it

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)