Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief Series Fan Patch Guide

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Awesome! Updated OP:

Version 1.1.4 is out and the first post has been updated.

This is the first release of the Fat Edition, which bundles the mods Thief 3 Gold, the Collective Texture Pack (a.k.a. John P) and theMinimalist Project. It's also the first release to include the SneakyTweaker utility for setting up both the mods and the most important SU options. (John P and Minimalist originally required you to re-run the installers to change the configuration options - now you just change them in the tweaker and reload the game.)

A couple of original issues are hopefully gone: The game will now remember your current difficulty when starting a new mission, so as long as you set it right after the training mission it'll stay set throughout the game. (Eventually T3G will provide an improved Inn mission where all difficulties are available.) And video modes with high refresh rates are now avoided, which should fix the remaining cases of the bug which caused broken lockpicking etc.

Also of note is a built-in screenshot feature: Manual screenshots are saved with the current map name and time, and screenshots can be saved automatically with savegames. Options are provided to set the quality for each type. It's currently a bit on the slow side, which is why it's disabled by default. (Enable it in the tweaker.) Note: Because of the included JPEG library, this version won't run on Windows XP. If anyone cares about this I'll fix it.
tongue.gif

The T3 Gold included at this time is 1.1beta. The removal of ambient fog in T3G caused a bit of controversy, to the extent of peoplemaking tools to get the fog back... So Beleg Cúthalion has restored the original fog and the SU now provides a fog tweak which will work in both T3G and the original maps. (Try 0.35 for something similar to how it was in previous versions of T3G.)
Besides the restored fog there's no major changes compared to the version from the fat SU beta. So whether you want to test or do a full T3G play-through, it's strongly recommended that you wait until Beleg gets the final 1.1 finished. (Be aware that savegames can't be carried over.) But if you do play the beta and get the endgame bug, then it should be possible to fix a savegame.

For John P, the options provided by the tweak tool are almost identical to those in the original installer. (A few textures have been split off into their own group.) By default enabling John P will enable all the included textures - note that this will increase loading time somewhat.

The options provided for Minimalist are a superset of those in the original installer. A couple of changes have been made, most importantly the difficulty has been reduced and the Classic GUI (T1-2 style light gem) is the default. The option descriptions in the tweaker will mention when a default deviates from the original.

FMSel has not yet been updated to the NewDark 1.22 source. The diff against the 1.21 source is here.

Thanks to Beleg Cúthalion, lowenz and Kerrle for testing, and to John P, New Horizon and Beleg Cúthalion for permission to include their mods and rework them to fit the SU mod support.

TFix has also been updated 1.20a and TafferPatcher has (finally) been updated too, to 2.14.

voodoo47, you really need to take over that project at some point.

voodoo47

Learned
with all the TFix, SCP and SS2 mod related work on my hands, I find that unlikely to happen. the TFix interactive candle update was supposed to be released this summer, and at the moment, I've barely got the groundwork done.

voodoo47

Learned
yes, should be fully compatible, just remember you need to use it before TFix and that there is no uninstall option, so should you want to go gold again, you will need to reinstall the game from scratch.

Ok wtf.. now I'm getting drops to 30-40 fps in Thief Gold with HD mod.. with a fucking GTX 760. It ran perfectly on my GTX 460 on last run. Anyone playing with recent nvidia drivers and this mod currently?

Divinity: Original Sin
Infinitron. A little late, but the sneaky upgrade is up to version 1.1.5. Now with briefing cutscenes
:yeah:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607

Version 1.1.5 is out!

The Fat Edition now bundles mensch's delicious classic briefing videos. A big thank you to mensch for providing these!

q9NdkRvoF3Ly7lGj

xyQLQ2j9znASJbyF

Originally a Thief 3 Gold sub-project, the briefings are now considered a mod in their own right. (And they do work with the original maps in addition to T3 Gold.) When active, the briefing videos will replace the original audio/text briefings.

Thief 3 Gold is at version 1.2. There's a couple of bugfixes - the bug which could keep you from finishing the St. Edgar's mission was unfortunately back in 1.1.

The Sneaky Upgrade itself has had a few bugs fixed as well - most prominently one that would cause the weapon or item count text to be misaligned when the HUD was scaled to around 0.5. Also, support for Windows XP is back.

The gamepad support now has mouse and escape key emulation, so it's now finally possible to play the game without having to reach for a mouse or keyboard.

Logging has been much improved, and may now actually be useful for debugging... There's a couple of new options in the tweaker for this. By default only errors and warnings are logged.

In the tweak tool, the main enable/disable checkboxes for the mods have moved to the overview page, making them more discoverable.

The installer will now detect and offer to uninstall a currently installed version. The SaveGamePath registry value (which is where savegames, screenshots and options are stored) can be changed during installation and the path to FM archive files can also be specified.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
So what are user opinions of the Thief Gold HD mod? I need to rectify a problem: I haven't really played Thief 1/2/3. I appreciate Infinitron's mod guide in the OP, but this HD mod has been on my radar for a while. I'm usually weary of HD texture mods because they don't respect the original art direction and, if anything less than complete, create the jarring contrast of high-resolution textures next to low-rez.

Any opinions would be helpful. Should I stick to the default textures for my first playthrough? I'm planning to play in 1920x1200 if that helps.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Should I stick to the default textures for my first playthrough?

Yes stick to the "default textures" for your first and all future playthroughs.

TFix will allow you to play Thief on a modern OS in 1920x1200, you can use a program like GarrettLoader if you want to play fan missions.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes, stick to the original textures, at least for your 'virgin' playthrough.

Afterwards, if you plan to venture into FM territory, upgrading the textures is most often a good idea.

The Thief Gold HD mod, however, is something I haven't used myself. I should probably give it a try one day.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You should at least use thief 2 models and textures in thief 1/gold.

I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate here, and let agris decide.

It's true that humanoid models look TONS better in Thief 2 rather than Thief 1, but the reason I, at least, said that (s)he should use the original textures is that the 'evolution' can be witnessed first-hand. Some models in Thief 1 don't even have necks!

But regardless of clunky models, Thief 1/Gold has a sense of atmosphere and charm that not even modern-day games can sport. People whom take the time to play the game should at least get a feeling of what the game was like upon release.

LATER they can upgrade it to their heart's content.

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, sometimes thief 1 models can be a turn-off, and for someone considering installing the HD textures, the thief 2 ones are much less agressive.

To be honest, I installed the HD textures and I normally like some benefits of ultra sharp textures, but in this case (thief HD), they're the most sharp textures I've ever seen, to the point it generates plenty of artifacts when you move, and it doesn't fit that well with the low poligon nature of thief.

I might add that some complaints about it is that it takes (or at least change) the atmosphere of thiefs, whereas the thief 2 textures on thief 1 doesn't take the mood, and makes for a consistent transition when playing through theif 1 and 2.

In any case, you can fiddle with the texture mods/patches at any time without compromising your game progress/saves. So, if you find the texture mods a little to much, or the original too ugly, you can aways install any of them at any time.

Go all the way with thief 3 mods though.

Astral Rag

Arcane

You already answered your own question.

I'm usually weary of HD texture mods because they don't respect the original art direction and, if anything less than complete, create the jarring contrast of high-resolution textures next to low-rez.

The Thief games still look good, they have a great art style and you can easily run them in your "native res" I don't get why anyone would want to replace Thief's great art with higher resolution fan art.

(I'm talking about that HD mod btw, not about custom textures some mappers introduce to the game or about using some of Thief 2's features in Thief 1)

Last edited:

voodoo47

Learned
aand TFix 1.21

v1.21: implemented interactive candles. more map overhauling, Cragscleft, Sword, Mage Towers and more. NecroAge (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144312) ready, just drop the pack into your Thief folder. oldDark support readded, so if you want to play TFixed Thief on a windows95 machine, well, now you can.

hyHVuY2.jpg

also, I finally did NOT forget to fix those weird floating lamps above the main Bafford's gate.

Last edited:

voodoo47

Learned
before I forget again, NecroAge just got updated - while not a big fan of hires texture packs, I do have to say that it looks good, and as it also includes a lot of TG specific stuff, it plays very well with the (TFix) overhauled maps.

To be honest, I installed the HD textures and I normally like some benefits of ultra sharp textures, but in this case (thief HD), they're the most sharp textures I've ever seen, to the point it generates plenty of artifacts when you move

It is not the fault of the textures, it's the default negative lod bias setting that causes it (i think it's -1.0?), it can be easily changed via config utility. HD mod makes game look much better overall imo and even though some texture choices here and there are questionable I'd have a hard time playing without it now.

voodoo47

Learned
TFix 1.21b is out - mostly FM related improvements (replaced one broken candle model that was causing trouble in some FMs, enabled some NVscript magic globally), but also some mission fixes (small tweaks to textures and objects, fixed up the sequence in Undercover where AI catches player stealing - a wtf are you doing motion will be played, and then the AI will proceed to smash the players' skull as it should. not all the recently reported problems have been fixed though - they will be sorted out next time). a recommended update.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems there was a new T3 Sneaky Upgrade as well:

Version 1.1.5.1 is out - fixing three issues.

The mouse cursor fix is in, now minus the white pixel from the pre-release. The threshold for activation has changed so that by default the fix is active at 144 DPI / 150% and higher. Thanks to swaaye for the initial work-around and to Cigam for testing.

There was an original issue, where using the in-game multisampling option could crash the game. (Setting 3 in my case.) It was fixed previously, but an oversight meant that the fix had no effect. Now the fix has been fixed... Note that the 'fix' is just falling back to no multisampling (setting 1) but at least there's no crash.

When running on Wine (Mac/Linux) there was a weird issue, which caused the game's initial launch (to the menu) to look for the options files in the wrong place - now fixed, but the installer has a couple of issues still. Some notes for Wine users have been added to the first post.

The mods are unchanged, so getting the standard edition is enough for an update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom