Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief: Deadly Shadows

Thief: Deadly Shadows... Good game?

• Nay

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Yay

Votes: 29 67.4%
  • Haven't played it

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters

z-axis

Novice
FYI: For those suffering Thief withdrawals, there's a huge unofficial expansion called 'T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age'. It features a new main character since they obviously couldn't use Garrett, but I have to say it was really fun and well-done. Available for free here: http://www.thief2x.com/default2.asp

catfood

AGAIN
I enjoyed the game, but there are a few things that kept it from being on par with its predecessors:

- it has been said before: small levels. I remember the HUGE levels in the first two games and how I got lost in almost every single one of them. It was cool wandering around the level searching for the objective and instead stumbling about a secret place or item

- they mostly got rid of the steampunk atmosphere. Ok, so T2 had a wee bit too much of it, but T1 got the balance of low level magic and rudimentary technology just right.

- no more swimming. Garret steps in a puddle of water = Garret dead. Swimming was great because it was somewhat challenging (air ran out quickly) and it was also a great way to maybe circumvent obstacles such as guards or traps, or to find some more secrets.

- dumbed down mechanics such as sneaking; now it's too easy

- too easy even on the hardest difficulty level

Overall this game is good, though not as good as T2 and most definitely not as good as T1, but it has a nice story, and some nice levels, such as the aforementioned Cradle that made me shit my pants. Worth at least one playthrough.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Enjoyed it a lot and finished it, but it isn't of the quality of Thief 2. Still, few games are, so I forgive it. .

mountain hare

Scholar
I just finished it.

Overall I was impressed. There were only two significant negatives to this game, which I have already mentioned.

1. Glitchy movement where you can get 'stuck' on objects, and 'locked' in a gliding stance.

2. Trekking around the city while avoiding the town watch can get a little repetitive. However, the city travel becomes interesting when you're being pursued by the enforceres and stone statues.

Apart from that, two thumbs up.

Divinity: Original Sin
About the swimming, In my first playthrough, I remember I left an uncouncious body in thief 1 underwater, in the cragscleft prison, only to some 30 seconds later I received a game over message since the hammerite drowned, and I was supposed to not kill anyone.

It was amazing at the time, since I couldn't imagine the engine was capable of such things.

Cynicus

Augur
Since you like T3, you should give the first two a go, mtn hare. If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw the first one for sale at CDAccess not long ago. Not sure if it was the original or Thief Gold, though.

BillyOgawa said:
I guess I'm the minority here. I love Thief 1 and 2 (especially 2), but I just could not enjoy the third game. The split level thing is one issue. The city hub is another. The lack of the wonderful briefing animations that added so much character and atmosphere to the first two games. But mostly, the feel is just off. It doesn't really feel like a Thief game to me.

Even though I was able to get past the worst of it and more or less enjoy T3 for what it was, I know exactly where you're coming from. But I'm not certain that the vibe of the Dark Engine games could've been recaptured under the best of circumstances much less under the console-centric climate of the industry that's prevailed in recent years. What we ended up with was probably as good as could be expected. It certainly could've been worse.

And if you think T3 was bad, scuttlebutt had it that Ion Storm already had Thief 4 on the drawing board, and the plan was to revamp the series to a modern setting. If that was indeed the case, then I personally hope that this series is never revived to fulfill that terrible destiny.

Melcar

Arcane
Darth Slaughter said:
About the swimming, In my first playthrough, I remember I left an uncouncious body in thief 1 underwater, in the cragscleft prison, only to some 30 seconds later I received a game over message since the hammerite drowned, and I was supposed to not kill anyone.

It was amazing at the time, since I couldn't imagine the engine was capable of such things.

Had so much fun throwing unconscious people in pools. The things a 15 year old finds amusing :P .

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Melcar said:
Darth Slaughter said:

Had so much fun throwing unconscious people in pools. The things a 15 year old finds amusing :P .

Heh, I was throwing uncouncious civilians into fireplaces and was like 'wtf civilians killed' at the end.

mountain hare

Scholar
Cynicus said:
Since you like T3, you should give the first two a go, mtn hare. If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw the first one for sale at CDAccess not long ago. Not sure if it was the original or Thief Gold, though.

Should I buy the original or Thief Gold? Apparently Gold has more content, but maybe they changed game elements as well?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Thief Gold added three extra levels, fixed some bugs, and changed a few guard routes (but nothing major). I think it also came with a level editor but it's been so long since it came out I don't remember clearly. Speaking of level editors, the old Thief games have quite a few fan missions to try out.

If you're going to play Thief 1 then just go for the gold. :)

coaster

Liturgist
Thief Gold is better if you can get it. Also if you have Thief 2 try Shadows of the Metal Age http://www.thief2x.com/, it's pretty good for a fan effort and is the size of a whole new stand alone game (13 missions).

Multi-headed Cow

Yay. It was a good Thief game. None of the levels were individually as good as Life of the Party or the Bonehoard, but I think their average quality was better. I don't remember any level in Thief 3 that actively irritated me, but there were a few in the earlier games.

Miss the rope arrows, but the climbing gloves were ok.

The only thing that makes me mad about this game is the title. What's with "Deadly Shadows"? What is it about? Why is this part called this way, and not some other one? And, finally, why leave out #3?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
From what I read, Ion Storm thought it would confuse people new to the serie, especially console players, if they discovered it was already the third episode. Same with Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Not the first time I notice that console players are regarded as complete dolts. Even from the developer side.

Divinity: Original Sin
To make things weird, Fallout 3 was done by another company, was consolized, they've put the number 3, they've changed a lot from the previous games, and it still sold a lot.

Thief 3 was consolized, but they took out the number and the game had little changes, and was made by another company, but by the same people, but it was not enough to bring new players.

they should have kept the number. peheaps that would make players find out about the originals...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Darth Slaughter said:
they should have kept the number. peheaps that would make players find out about the originals...

It sucks! The combat feels clumsy and you can't shoot everyone! Metal Gear Solid is a better stealth game because you can kill everyone and it has a better story with many lenghty cutscenes!

z-axis

Novice
gragt: It sucks! The combat feels clumsy and you can't shoot everyone! Metal Gear Solid is a better stealth game because you can kill everyone and it has a better story with many lenghty cutscenes!

If the Thief series were all about combat and killing everyone, that might actually have been a somewhat valid comment. Clearly this is not the game for you.

Cynicus

Augur
Someone get a repair crew in here stat! z-axis's sarcasm detector is fried.

z-axis

Novice
Okay, okay... perhaps I take Thief a tad too seriously, so if gragt's comment was purely sarcastic, then my bad! If not, then my response stands. Given some of the unfortunate but sadly serious comments on this forum, sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I was seriously serious, any real gamer knows that stealth is about running around with assault rifles. That is for five minutes because the rest of the time you watch 20 minutes long cutscenes.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I have fond memories of the first Metal Gear Solid but I was young and naïve back then. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (for the MSX) kicks ass though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom