Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of the best FM authors, Lady Rowena has been reported to have passed away on April 30. She was tremendously talented, and my personal #1 pick for best author. Rest in Peace.

Oh fuck no. Way to ruin my day. :(

Riskbreaker

This is absolutely devastating to hear! :(
She was insanely talented, Seven Sisters is among my absolute favorite FMs, especially the first two mission. May you rest in peace, great Lady.

Divinity: Original Sin
It's so strange that an author We've never had any connections, other than playing a FM made by her, is actually a real person whom dedicated free time of her life to create amazing levels for thief, and are subject to fate.

We relate with these "aliases" as if they belong to an atemporal character that will live on, like garrett himself, and it's somewhat unbelievable they can die. The nickname is famous, but there's an annonimous human being behind it and we are mostly unaware of that, and then, we receive the shocking news.

Well, one thing for sure is seven sisters, the tower, rowena's curse are immortal now, and I hope it still serves as inspiration for all fm authors out there.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Its so strange that an author We've never had any connections other than playing a FM made by her is actually real person whom dedicated free time of her life to create amazing levels for thief, and are subject to fate.

We relate with these "aliases" as if they belong to an atemporal character that will live on, like garrett himself, and it's somewhat unbelievable they can die. The nickname is famous, but there's an annonimous human being behind it and we are mostly unaware of that, and then, we receive the shocking news.

Well, one thing for sure is seven sisters, the tower, rowena's curse are immortal now, and I hope it still serves as inspiration for all fm authors out there.

This is precisely what I was thinking, hence my sparse response to the news.

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited:

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Like Darth Slaughter expressed, I felt she was just always going to be around, an unchanging part of the Thief FM universe.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am currently betatesting a mission and I am suddenly tempted to change my vote for best new author. Whoa. Didn't see this one coming. :retarded:
And it keeps happening! :M

A new author has just come and, without even making a peep about it before, reinvented The Metal Age for TDM, with dem production values. Rusty urban hellscapes meet posh Victorian mansions!

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
I am currently betatesting a mission and I am suddenly tempted to change my vote for best new author. Whoa. Didn't see this one coming. :retarded:
And it keeps happening! :M

A new author has just come and, without even making a peep about it before, reinvented The Metal Age for TDM, with dem production values. Rusty urban hellscapes meet posh Victorian mansions!

What FM is this miraculous sorcery you speak of? Is it still in testing, or has it been released?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still in testing, but probably very close to release - all I could find was minor bugs.
And that's the other mystery. All of my missions are bug-ridden messes when they go into beta, yet here we have these absolute newbies, and they deliver nigh-flawless work from the start.

Garrettt

Educated
That mission is called Volta and the Stone and you can download it here. It's a fantastic mission that feels like a AAA game (gave me a very Dishonored feel on the streets and a Thief vibe inside), I talked with the guy who made it Kingsal and he seems like a very nice person who has worked with some very big games in the industry (the sort that usually get shat on around these parts though).

Here are some screenshots of his work:

AYZRVfc.png

SmBVBP1.png

Phss24q.png

Gxt78s9.png

zWVZgyI.png

Ekjdn59.png

4LcBWaq.png

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
Wow, how did I not know about this? It looks pretty but time will tell if it plays well(I do have good hopes though because of Melan's recommendation). The experience with AAA games also explains a lot about the production values.

Latro

Arcane
Still in testing, but probably very close to release - all I could find was minor bugs.
And that's the other mystery. All of my missions are bug-ridden messes when they go into beta, yet here we have these absolute newbies, and they deliver nigh-flawless work from the start.
maybe they're repentant industry vets returning for a last dance

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Finished it. Very high production values and incredibly thick atmosphere. It indeed felt like a Dishonored mission but the manor itself reminded me of Running Interference, except more outlandish and unwelcoming with a crazy layout that made me check the map more often than I'm willing to admit. The maps themselves are a work of art, by the way. The sound design in particular is nothing short of stellar.
:greatjob:

It's a bit of a shame that the level itself is a bit visually plain with some rather crude texturing, but the color treatment and the really eerie atmosphere made me forget this rather quickly.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
So I decided to play Night Watch since it's a campaign and I had muddy memories of it. I remember that it was rather confusing and I never made it past mission 1. Well, now I remember.
Out of all the missions I've played, these are by far the worst and I'm not exaggerating. You're required to find secrets to progress, guards are insanely alert, the missions have you do completely illogical stuff to progress; things that are impossible to do 99.99% of the time but are mandatory to progress here (such as going through solid objects, at least twice in the second mission), there are lots of items hidden in incredibly devious places (that aren't even counted as secrets, so you can take a guess at how well hidden the secrets are!)... oh and the bugs, the bugs! I don't know if NewDark screwed me over, but I had to force-end the first mission because Gwendoline would not follow me at all, and I got to a point in mission 2 where I couldn't progress anymore because the mission broke. My nerves snapped and I stopped here. I'm usually not this critical and there's some serious work in the missions, but I really found the design to be inexcusably awful. Did people have any fun playing this?

I find it hard to believe that the person who did this also made the excellent Heart of Lone Salvation for TDM, which is an amazing mansion sneaker with none of that bullshit.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
There are hints of some kind, but they are so obscure I got nowhere with them. I finished the missions with the help of a printed walkthrough, but it was very hard and trial-and-error even that way. Fidcal's later missions (including Heart, his masterpiece, and the yet unreleased Manor Royale) got much better, though. He has an eye for making non-standard puzzles that rely on understanding and exploiting game physics, which is possessed by relatively few people. Some of it shows in The Night Watch, but I agree it is too hardcore for its own good and often arbitrary. Didn't encounter the bugs, however.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, Christine resurfaced and released an old unreleased mission of hers that was originally supposed to be part of a campaign she worked on together with someone else, but which was never finished.
(That girl sure has a history of starting team projects and then ending up completing them all by herself)
Since I really love Christine's missions, I'm looking forward to playing the thing.

But something even cooler surfaced on the Editor's Guild. Some guy with an old account who never released a mission just posted screenshots of unfinished stuff he attempted over the years, and he's offering the unfinished missions up for grabs.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146683

Hey all. I've been super inactive for the past 8 or so years (jesus, where did all that time go?) and have started a handful of missions that I'll probably never complete. It seems like Thief used to be my life from jr high through the first part of college. Of course life got in the way and I've only had time to just dabble in DromEd. I'm really proud of the geometry I've created and hope to one day either get around to finishing these or start something and actually FINISH it for a change.

If anybody is interested in taking these over, I'll be happy to hand the files over to you.

And yeah, the architecture really looks pretty damn good.
Check it out:

VRcPeKb.jpg

ZjmpbhH.jpg

mrThtC7.jpg

xabnUlG.jpg

8Uekrid.jpg

wNvFzfJ.jpg

OrJFIit.jpg

3S8Qbet.jpg

NCE6Klm.jpg

HFWSt8x.jpg

00lnWbq.jpg

yzokbYw.jpg

c99b6TU.jpg

waN9Khm.jpg

PQczN79.jpg

wmtNtqO.jpg

jIXbTX0.jpg

WtTed3g.jpg

GjHtMRs.jpg

g7TcGdE.jpg

WShPtNk.jpg

zMLNqdF.jpg

KFwoWmn.jpg

d17K1DI.jpg

WHlrDhf.jpg

iXXQFVF.jpg

TOQKzYb.jpg

lPcoXia.jpg

Really makes you wonder what treasures lie on the hard drives of people who played around with Dromed a lot without ever finishing a full releaseable mission.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
I have also wondered a lot about this. There must be a lot of stuff out there, even if most of it is probably not very good. :D

Which reminds me, I am actually not the first in my family to get the Dromed bug - that honour goes to my brother, who built Everyone's First Haunt-Filled Cathedral Level for Thief 1 around 2001 or 2002, which he never, ever released. It was perhaps a generous 2/10, the sort of junk you'd only find on Komag's DVDs, but it means I will always play second fiddle to him. :) As a real engineer, he is also way more qualified to build levels than I am.

Yandros

Savant
Three missions of 100% custom content with shitloads of objects, 5 movies and tons of custom ambients and over 80 lines of dialogue? I was glad it wasn't bigger than that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom