Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Kontra

Educated
Unkillable Cat

I dont know, i never had any problems with the thieves... That level is pretty hard though, somehow its harder to sneak. I guess it makes sense cause theyre thieves, like Garrett. And if its just one guy, i can take him. But if its two, im dead. I did it once but barely.

The good thing is if you beat someone in combat, hel be scared whenever he sees you and wont attack. Only problem is they all look the same, so you cant tell which one is it.

Also you can walk a bit faster if you half strafe, diagonally. The only problem is you only half see where your going. But its more tense that way, when someones chasing you.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Also you can walk a bit faster if you half strafe, diagonally. The only problem is you only half see where your going. But its more tense that way, when someones chasing you.

I know that, one of the oldest tricks in the book, but against the Thieves it only *just barely* helps you to keep ahead of them...the only other option is to play on the delay between them assuming a striking position and actually making a strike.

Thieves aren't really a problematic critter, except for the extra tick of activity...but as long as most taffers know about it, they should be OK against them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:shittydog: Not as scary as the Cathedral missions from T1 though. But then again what is.

Shalebridge Cradle? (T3)
Another FM with some scary parts is "Dark Messiah".

When I played the cathedral mission in thief 1, I never felt scared. It didn't make me jump or tense. I should really replay that mission again too see how would I feel playing it now. At that point, I didn't get that the feeling they were trying to convey was of scary tension, maybe because I always though I was playing a confident master chief, and undead were just like humans. Actually, I had more scares with T1 and T2 with human AI than I've ever had with undead AI.

The cradle... well. I had to stop playing it and play it in small doses. Actually it had no AI in it but the sound and mood were heart attack inducing. Going up those stairs were the most frightening moment I've felt in my whole gaming life. That was the time I actually stopped playing or I would had died.

The Cathedral didn't make me scared either, nor did Dark Messiah (haven't played Inverted Manse yet but it's on my to play list). Probably because I played both the OM and any FMs with undead areas only when I was already intimately familiar with the Thief engine, so haunts were no longer scary to me.

I never touched the Cradle, and from what you're writing I never will. I'm an easily scared guy who isn't too fond of scary/creepy stuff, so that kind of thing just isn't for me. :)

I might, one day, maybe try out DrK's Better Tomorrow. I know it has a horrible nope and no weapons to fight it (seen parts of Fen's playthrough), but it might be worth checking out.

Divinity: Original Sin
The Cathedral didn't make me scared either, nor did Dark Messiah (haven't played Inverted Manse yet but it's on my to play list). Probably because I played both the OM and any FMs with undead areas only when I was already intimately familiar with the Thief engine, so haunts were no longer scary to me.

I never touched the Cradle, and from what you're writing I never will. I'm an easily scared guy who isn't too fond of scary/creepy stuff, so that kind of thing just isn't for me. :)

I might, one day, maybe try out DrK's Better Tomorrow. I know it has a horrible nope and no weapons to fight it (seen parts of Fen's playthrough), but it might be worth checking out.

The only problem with the cradle is that once you played it, you won't be scared anymore by it. So, you may read about it and spoil yourself, than you can play it free of scares, since it's kind of scripted.

When I mention no-AI, you're expecting a haunt or a zombie or anything but they never appear. But you don't know that until after you played. Now you know.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
The results of the 72 hours speed-build contest should be announced tomorrow. I'm quite excited to see who will win, though I feel the 1-month voting period was way too long.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I think I voted yours the highest with DrK's the second-highest, but I don't remember the exact scores and what I gave the others because I voted so long ago.

Yeah, that was a pretty damn long voting period.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Here are the results:

Vanishing Point, by skacky - Score of 200, 45 total votes. Average score of 4.44 (out of 5).

Dirty Money, by DrK - Score of 197, 45 total votes. Average score of 4.38.

The Wooden Box, by FireMage - Score of 135, 38 total votes. Average score of 3.55.

The Swindle Job, by Dev_Anj - Score of 98, 40 total votes. - Average score of 2.45.

Pretty much what I expected, though I'm glad skacky won. Also I think the names are switched, I swear skacky made Dirty Money and DrK made Vanishing Point. Or did they magically switch styles?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Pretty much what I expected, though I'm glad skacky won. Also I think the names are switched, I swear skacky made Dirty Money and DrK made Vanishing Point. Or did they magically switch styles?

That totally has to be a mistake by whoever published the poll results.

And 2.45 isn't too bad a score for such a simple first mission. Congrats. I gave it 3. :D

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I completely missed Vanishing Point, am playing through it right now.

Also, I can't help but shake the feeling that the RPG Codex has influenced poor DrKubiac as the word "cuckold" appears in a readable...in its proper context.

Kontra

Educated
I finished Dark Messiah... It was okay but not as good as The Inverted Manse. The beginning really pissed me off though. Basically its a narrow corridor-like street that you simply have to go trough just to get to the rest of the map. Theres no other way. And to make it worse theres a guard at the exit thats completely lit up by a torch. So if you wanna pass by him, you just gotta douse that torch. Great... You know what that reminded me off? Another mission that did the exact same thing, Traditions of the Trade remake from Hitman Contracts. Where theres only one way inside the hotel, and you just gotta go through it, period. But, you also need this keycard to enter, a keycard that you get at the start anyway. So whats the point. Its like im not inside the level yet, and i gotta do some stuff first. Why do i gotta do that?! Now every time i wanna replay i have to go through the same shit, show the keycard/douse the torch, just so that i could start playing the damn map...

But after that it was okay.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Finished playing all the 72-hour mission entries.

I seriously can't decide whether "Vanishing Point" or "Dirty Money" has the upper hand - both are damn good, though in different ways.

"The Swindle Job" gives me Thief 1 vibes, but isn't a bad first effort except maybe for the starting area.

"The Wooden Box", though...I don't know what's up with that. Tons of guards, placed at hard-to-reach places, that go on alert due to what seem to be random explosions, then go and kill each other and I get blamed for it, but not right away - it was only after I had opened the wooden box that the game decided to check if I'd killed anyone (which I hadn't) and failed the mission for me. It most certainly is the bloodiest FM I've seen in a while, though.

DrKubiac

Educated
Hmm I don't remember writing cuckold anywhere, you're probably talking about Vanishing Point which is actually Skacky's mission...

Yup, I really am the author of Dirty Money. We had the idea to switch styles for the contest, kudos to Skacky who did an amazing job with my ressources and managed to mimic the style and atmosphere of Rocksbourg. He even gave me fresh ideas to work with.
As for me, it was refreshing, first time I try to build a thief gold mission, and hopefully it ended up nice.

Thanks for the laugh taffers, we enjoyed most of your reactions these past weeks :cool:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Esprit d'escalier and all, but I almost got close to the Truth in Dirty Money, which had a construction style that was not quite clearly skacky's. Different formal repertoire and different solutions to constructing space, so I had a hunch it may be someone else (although my guess was Squadafroin). Then I was lulled right back to sleep, chalked it up to the contest pressure and/or a changing personal style, and didn't think more of it. Should have become suspicious with those tiny side towers - a clear DrKism in hindsight.

Again, well done.

Divinity: Original Sin
I wonder if some people voted biased towards one author or the other...

EDIT:

Well, anyone knows why thief 2 is freezing when I take in-game screenshots?

EDIT 2:

guess my screenshots folder in thief 2 was filled. dump999.png is the last file thief can generate.

Last edited:

Yandros

Savant
Dev, congrats on your first release and the solid reviews! I've been putting off playing these missions until I release Waterfront Racket, but knowing now who the authors are, I'm looking forward to it even more.

SlyFoxx

Educated
I just DL'd the four and will get started soon. I don't Thief nearly as much as I used to but I do so enjoy stepping back onto the streets of The City when I do.

DrKubiac

Educated
I wonder if some people voted biased towards one author or the other...
We were curious about that as well, but considering there's a difference of only 0.06 points out of 5 between our fms, it's really hard to tell...
Skacky didn't steal his victory anyway, it was close but he deserves it :salute:

I'm eagerly waiting for the comments posted with the votes, it may give us a better insight on the matter.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Well, since I like authors because of their style, I voted based on the gameplay and level design... the fact that they switched styles doesn't change anything. Would still have voted the same if I had known it before. I'm just a sucker for rooftop-y city missions, no matter who makes them.

Still, goddamn fucking genius of you two. You even switched Thief versions, with DrKubiac using Thief Gold and skacky using Thief 2. God-tier level of trolling :lol:

Garrettt

Educated
Something interesting from an Otherside Entertainment twitter conversation

ZjcVGP9.png

Random_Taffer

Educated
I never played any of the Underworld games. Really looking forward to seeing what the new one is all about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom