Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

CroGamer1234

Literate
"Collector's Greed" - This is a strange one. On the surface, it's just a regular, albeit small mission. Your goal is to get enough loot to move out from your boarding house. But some parts of the mission I found kinda weird. One of your objectives is to steal a toy ship, another is that you should steal a box of basketball balls. Why would Garret do that? Is this a prequel, so he's stil a child? But then there shouldn't be any mechanist machinery around. I know I'm just nitpicking here, but things like that just puzzle me. Aside from that, the gameplay is pretty good, and the areas you visit are interesting. It's your pretty standard sneak fare. 7/10

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Calendra's Cistern has just been patched and updated to NewDark levels.

Time to get taffin'.

EDIT: Had a run-through. For all sakes and purposes the mission now works perfectly. All scripted sequences now take place as they should, and any abnormal behavior previously encountered is now considered normal behavior.

That said, this patch isn't perfect. The lever in the bombmaker's house is still floating on thin air, there's still some issues with the loot count, and a brand new problem emerged when I tried to rope arrow myself down into the grotto at the end. Doing that resulted in SHAS every single time. My solution was to embed a rope arrow, save the game, load the game and then try the arrow...but by that time it was also pointing downwards, so try that angle if all else fails.

And my eyes still bleed from reading Calendra's diary because the writing is so bad...but hey, it's only a technical upgrade.

You will need NewDark 1.23 for this one, which means TFix 1.22 or higher.

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I'm working with a crazy bunch of taffers (and I'm insane myself). Don't click the Spoiler tag if you want play our Summer Uncontest mission blind.

No, seriously. Don't click it.
CMVL2RHWwAArj1m.jpg:large

We had to split this behemoth into two, DromEd wouldn't let us portalize the thing. :negative:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I clicked the Spoiler tags and I could barely make heads or tails of that thing, except for a cityscape/tight architecture scenario.

With that said: BRING IT ON! You are our kind of insane taffer, and we welcome your creative outputs. :)

Yandros

Savant
I can't wait to play that mission, skacky. Ours is on the small side (about 400x400) but will be a three-mission mini-campaign using the same map (three consecutive nights).

Dev_Anj

Learned
I'm working with a crazy bunch of taffers (and I'm insane myself). Don't click the Spoiler tag if you want play our Summer Uncontest mission blind.

No, seriously. Don't click it.
CMVL2RHWwAArj1m.jpg:large

We had to split this behemoth into two, DromEd wouldn't let us portalize the thing. :negative:
I see a city, a huge building, and a series of octagons in what looks like a cave. So this is going to be a multi environment mission?
Quite interested in the mission anyway.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm... We will wait. And judge when it will be ready! (I'm sure it will be pure joy anyway, but is there time limit to making those missions? I mean, mission sending time ends?)

Riskbreaker

So, I'm pretty close to finishing my replay of Sensut's Dracula Campaign. It's weird, really: I think that, in the end, I prefer it to Bathory Campaign. Now, missions from Bathory are objectively much better: larger, much more complex, overall design is way better. Missions from Dracula are linear, almost on-rails in comparison, with some rather cheesy parts (like forcing player to carry Mina through half of the first mission's playable area -including the most pointlessly long catacomb section-, or say forcing the direct combat at the end of second mission). I still like them more tho, he really captured that old-school horror/adventure vibe.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm working on a mission. I tried with Dark Mod before, but I didn't have much of a plan so it ended up as vapourware. This time I have a plan on how it should end up looking, so... let's hope I can actually keep myself motivated to pull this through.

Wish I had more time to dedicate to it though, too much work and freelance writing sucking up my time.

CroGamer1234

Literate
I just finished playing The Seventh Crystal. I can't belive I never played that mission before. It is definatelly one of the best stories ever told through Thief.

The first and the last missions are camvators that flesh out the story. I belive that this is the first mission that even had camvators, so love it or hate it, this is the mission that started it all.

The second mission is where the game really shines. It is a mansion crawl with great graphics and atmosphere. The mansion itself is pretty big. The story of the mansion's owners is really interesting, and the mission stars one of the few actually interesting lords. His story is actually pretty sad, which is a pretty rare feeling to find in a game. Through the whole mission you are followed by a ghastly girl
who ocasionally wispers things like "Hi there" and "Put that back!" when you steal something, which I found quite amusing. Also, while the mission is not that linear, it has a very progressive path to follow, with you finding a key in one room, in which you will find a key to another room, and so forth.

The third mission is set in the catacombs. It is pretty obvious that the mission itself was cut off from mission two because of DromED limitations. It's pretty atmospheric and beautiful, but it can be finished in five minutes and doesn't offer any challange whatsoever.

Overall, I give the campaign a 9/10.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Heh, I played that one recently and rated it a 7/10 (which is still a good rating, mind you... my rating system is 10/9 for great, 8/7 for good, 6/5 for solid etc, so 7's on the lower half of good). It was good, yes, but the gatedness was a little annoying, and I played other missions that did the things it did better, which is why I only gave it a 7.

Overall, I gotta agree with your opinion, though. It's a well-crafted mission and the story is pretty great. The architecture is very good for a mission of its time, but it's been surpassed by some later missions.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Something of note: I didn't build anything in that specific screenshot. All of that was made by Squadarofl, who is a very talented builder. I've been mostly working on the 'boring' stuff for Mission 1 (roombrushing, etc).
I made the whole of Mission 2 except a small basement area, but I'm keeping this a bit hushed!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
A big T2 FM was released this month, called "Heartcliff Island". Garrett must find a lost heirloom on a remote prison island, and the only way to get there is as a prisoner.

I played for about an hour. This FM is big and tough. You have no equipment and must scrounge together what you need, including a lightsource as this FM uses "Dark as crap" darkness. I was surprised by a section where it feels like the game is bugged as hell, only to realize that someone finally implemented a classic/clichéd game element in Thief.

Everything was going smooth and I was having a fun time...until I stepped outside the prison and my framerate dropped to single digits. I have never seen a fully-working FM move so sluggishly, and the author is not only aware of this, but created an "alternate" low-fi version of his FM, instead of just redoing this part from start.

But I don't have patience for that kind of taffing, so I just uninstalled and let this FM be. Bigger isn't always better, and this FM now the best example of that out there.

Last edited:

Morat

Literate
No matter what others say about it, I'll probably give "Heartcliff" a try simply because Qolelis' first FM, "The Sun Within and the Sun Without," was probably the single most intriguing and original Thief fan mission I've ever played. I just hope he made the loot placement less murderously difficult this time around.

Riskbreaker

Thankee for the impressions, sir cat.
I dl'ed that FM few days ago, but played only a ten or so minutes of it. Mostly due to FM starting with that no-equipment prison escape, I wandered trough the prison a bit and then decided to leave it for such time when I have more patience.

I definitely intend to play trough it tho, eventually.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I started it a few a days ago, managed to reached the 'broken' area Unkillable Cat mentions. So far I haven't continued, but I will.
In other news, our Summer Uncontest missions are in beta. So far so good, no completely broken stuff, just minor annoyances.

DrKubiac

Educated
Hey taffers, DrK here.

I just joined the forum, Skacky just made me aware of it, and looking at the hilarious reactions from a few pages back, it looks like a nice place. :cool:

I see there are some honest and/or constructive criticism regarding fms here, it's always most welcome, so I'm in.

DrKubiac

Educated
Bust it is then... :lol:

Like I've said several times, I'm slowly working on Rocksbourg 0, the first part is close to completion. I don't have enough free time to work on it constantly, but I make progress whenever I can.

Don't think I've been a lazy fuck for the past years, I've been working on the campaign as a whole, mostly its lore. Rocksbourg 4 is about 60% done, R5 is 20%, R0 part 1 is 95% and R0 part 2 is 30%.

Rocksbourg 4 was a nightmare to build with oldark, I lost way too much time on it. Newdark made things much easier and faster, but now I lack time for it... I think in the future I'll gather a small team to work with me, or else I'll never see the end of it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I think in the future I'll gather a small team to work with me, or else I'll never see the end of it.

I think the proper term is "I'll never hear the end of it." ;)

Great to have you here, even if it's only for brief visits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom