Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Jazz_

Arcane
Finished ''DCE''. I agree with Unkillable Cat on the readables, they could have been a bit more subtle at times. Replaying the same maps didn't bother me tho, especially in the city hub since new areas open up. Really liked the cathedral and the mansion maps but ''The Ritual'' was overall the best mission. The map I found the most uninspired was the Ruined Keep, it was just a bit underwhelming compared to the other maps imo, kinda looked like something out of some ancient FM. I LOVED the breaking the fourth wall exploit at the end. All in all it's a great campaign, really great work. :salute:

I also finished ''The Tower'' and my mind is blown, it's a superbly designed map, I love small maps that have interconnected areas and make great use of verticality, so much gameplay and cool exploration packed in such a tiny map, the claustrophobic atmosphere is great and the readables were surprisingly interesting to read as well, outstanding work by Lady Rowena.

Yandros

Savant
Glad you enjoyed it! There is a new FM by Lady Rowena coming during the holidays, so everyone rejoice at that! Sadly it is only the first mission of a planned three mission set she was working on when she passed away, and we aren't likely to ever see the other two. But it is really awesome anyway all by itself.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I've played plenty of The Dark Mod and completed both Thief 1 and 2, where should I start with Thief FMs? I've never played any at all, what are some good ones to start off with, or should I just go on TTLG and play whatever comes up? Also, what patches do I need? I completed T1 and 2 with Tfix, should that suffice?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I like city and mansion missions with a lot of climbing and rope arrows. Listing everything isn't too helpful as I don't want to play Jimmy's First Test Mission No. 58371, I want a good at least 30 minute long mission that can really wow me with custom voice acting, intros and all that jazz. I'll check out those mappers when I got everything set up.

Jazz_

Arcane
^ ''Chalice of Souls'' by Skacky, Firemage and Squadrafroin is a fantastic map for Thief 1. Great atmosphere and there's A LOT of climbing and rope arrows.

some screenshots I took during my playthrough:

UMKXmyo.jpg

OUGMGgb.jpg

io1evzW.jpg

gL4ZalE.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I tried playing it with Thief 2 at first before I realised it was a Thief Gold FM. Interestingly enough it worked but guards were invisible and most textures were plain black. Tried it out now that I got FMSel to work and I don't really like it that much, lighting and shadows are weird and there's too many angles to cover. Also forgot how daft the NPC AI is in original Thief compared to TDM.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I don't know how to explain it, it just didn't feel right to me outside in the streets. Places that are pretty dimly lit appear really bright on the lightgem, maybe I'm just too used to The Dark Mod lighting since I've played that a lot more.

Renault

Novice
I think that's the first time I've ever heard someone say "I didn't really like it" when playing Chalice of Souls.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
My review of a recently released mission tby a new author:

Precarious Business by ObservingEye.

Simple job, fat nobleman, break into, priceless trinket. This is a mission from the well-known Bafford playbook, and the big thing it accomplishes is how well it does it. While made for Thief 2, Precarious Business is a Thief 1-style affair in both style and execution. It uses stock textures and deep shadows to build a dark city and a cramped, run-down mansion where you must find your prize. Now, when I write “dark”, I mean dark dark, Shadows of Doubt -style. This mission is not simply gloomy; your surroundings are mostly barely lit, and finding your way by orienting yourself by the meagre light sources and sometimes the sounds is half the challenge. You will wish you had a lantern, but not having one is the point. It takes some eyesight to find your way through barely lit streets and corridors, and some more to pick up the more carefully hidden loot (as far as I can tell, it is mostly fairly placed, although I also missed almost a thousand golds’ worth of it). This is the core challenge, since you will only encounter tricky patrols in the second half of the mission.

There are gorgeous city streets here, mostly in the Bafford / Assassins style, built with obvious care and an eye for variety. These are ramshackle, chaotically built houses on the city outskirts, climbing over each other to fit into tiny lots and conserve space. Sadly, the streets are also fairly linear and you don’t interact much with them. Even the tantalising rooms and open windows you spot high above you in locations seem to largely be red herrings, and the patrols are minimal. In some way, it seems superfluous, with precious little gameplay... but didn’t the original game have stretches of empty space which were just there so you could be there? Maybe we should consider it a sign of generosity. And generous it is: there is an entire side mission there, if you can just find it. It is another cool-looking area, and has more good-looking content. Then, we get to the mansion, which is at once opulent and bare; it also has one of the coolest brush-based toilets I have seen in a fan mission (believe me, I have seen some), as well as an interesting possible explanation for Garrett’s visit (nothing spelled out, but you can put things together – that is always cool).

All in all, Precarious Business is well worth playing. As ObservingEye’s first mission, it is very promising (it would have been a strong contender in the 20th Anniversary Contest). May we see more missions like this!

Pictures:
tumblr_p0k7j3tfOo1rxmn3vo2_1280.png

tumblr_p0k7j3tfOo1rxmn3vo3_1280.png

tumblr_p0k7j3tfOo1rxmn3vo5_1280.png

tumblr_p0k7j3tfOo1rxmn3vo4_1280.png

tumblr_p0k7j3tfOo1rxmn3vo1_1280.png

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Except for that toilet those drapes sure look like they match the curtains of a Melan seal of approval. (Ifyouknowwhatimean)

Unfortunately it'll take me some time to be able to play the FM due to *reasons*, but keep your eyes peeled for the acidic comments of everyone's favourite cynic (as portrayed by sensitive snowflakes).

Jazz_

Arcane
So I'm playing ''Endless Rain'' by the excellent Skacky and that stunning architecture and verticality boii, I just love that shit.

WXkDiFT.jpg

ykKIFX6.jpg

Btw, I have 1 objective left, the keeper secret thingy, any hint how to progress? The room were I got the objective doesn't seem to lead anywhere else, so I guess I must go somewhere else but I'm kinda running in circles in the city.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
IIRC (but don't quote me on it) there's a short, straight passage in a building somewhere that you reach via elevator that doesn't seem to lead anywhere. On the elevator half of the passage is a hidden switch that opens up a door in the other half.

Hope this helps.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jazz_: To reach the place,
You will need to descend to the sewers. In a section patrolled by a guard, open a grate with a secret switch, and solve the puzzle.
Cleanse the statue there with holy water.

Jazz_

Arcane
^ What do you mean? I'm playing the map on Thief 1 Gold and I didn't install any mod/texture pack, like ever, so I dunno, how is it supposed to look?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom