Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Yandros

Savant
Act 3 is about finished with Beta test, so I'm finally packaging up the entire campaign for the first time and also working on a teaser/trailer movie. I expect to release the movie in a week or so and the campaign by the end of September, if not mid-month.

Hines

Savant
Act 3 is about finished with Beta test, so I'm finally packaging up the entire campaign for the first time and also working on a teaser/trailer movie. I expect to release the movie in a week or so and the campaign by the end of September, if not mid-month.
Wow, congratulations on wrapping it up! I can't wait to play it in the near future. :)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Very cool videos, especially for "Death's Cold Embrace".

( Yandros Shouldn't the text in the video be "Led by a father's rage" instead of "Lead by a father's rage"?)

Random_Taffer

Educated
I've finished all but Terra's. Some seriously silly shit going on with this design overall.
Almost too enraged to continue.

The other two missions were great. The ship one was fun enough, but Bertrand's Forgotten Tomb was fucking great! Loved every minute of it.

EDIT: Finished Terra's mission. As I suspected, the solution was a small switch in an unrelated area which opens a secret place that contains the item needed to continue because reasons.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Let me guess... you're talking about the Nitrous?

I just finished doing that section, and I thought that "this will get rid of that pesky obstacle!", only for the game to go "Nope!" and me just getting fed up with it and quitting.

Speaking of that section, WHAT A LOAD OF FILLER CRAP. To explain to others, there's an acid mixture that must be made by finding four ingredients. Three of them can be found pretty easily, but the fourth is found in the tomb, which is a building you passed while entering the building you're in, so you need to backtrack almost ALL THE WAY BACK to the start to enter this small tomb. And hidden in this small tomb is a switch that opens an innocent-looking secret doorway, but inside is a far-too-large-and-completely-pointless network of passages patrolled by undead, containing hidden pressure plates and you needing to run about putting heavy sacks on weights to open a door containing... Nitrous. Was it really too hard to just have the Nitrous sitting on a shelf in the embalming room? Really?!?

Terra's FM has the highest production value and ambition, but sadly is by far the worst of the three.

"Derelick Docklands District" has good level design and attention to detail, and yet there's something about it which just bores me. The whole ship-part of it just felt off, and I managed to sequence-break the mission on at least two occassions.

But the clear winner is "Bertrand's Forgotten Tomb". This FM is very clever... too clever in parts, actually. Its focus is on two things: Rope gymnastics and riddle-solving through architectural observation. Unfortunately this focus is achieved at the cost of pretty much everything else. There are very few hostile critters and no need for lockpicks, so stealth and thievery are barely an issue.

The primary goal is to get the MacGuffin which is locked behind three gates, and each gate with its own combination. Standard hints are only provided thorugh rhyming poems. My favorite one is the "Hall of Projection"-riddle, this one is not only awesome to look at, it's also very clever.

To help along with the latter there is an interesting, but ultimately futile, hint system in place. You can click on certain statues to get hints about the riddles, except doing so costs you health. Smart taffers can instantly spot the flaw in this system and abuse it.

Overall a very specialized FM, but what it does it does good. This is the author's first mission BTW, and he's been very helpful and nice over at the TTLG thread.

Random_Taffer

Educated
Nah, my struggle was finding that gear to fix the turbine. Not anywhere near where it goes, but in a secret area guarded by several spiders in a cave.
Why does a switch near the turbines open a gate so far away?
But yeah, the fucking tomb shit... what?
It's like she really just wanted to force you to spend time in her mission. All the locked footlockers behind puzzles are just fucking stupid.

Mechs Delight

Educated
I've played through at least a small part of all of the contest missions, and frankly, I can't say that any of them truly impressed me. I just couldn't get into "Bertrand's Forgotten Tomb"; it was well-put-together (especially for a first FM), but it just felt too familiar and empty to me. I should probably try again at a future date, though, since everyone else seems to be raving about it.

I probably won't give such a benefit of doubt to the other two missions, however. "Derelict Dock District" was actually quite fun, at least the starting town section (although I could have done without that bird). But an unfair "gotcha" trap on the ship just threw me right out of the mission, to the point I have no real desire to continue. As for "The Eye of Gems: Shadow and Fog," man, what is up with that mission? Yes, it looks good (and I actually enjoyed the giant guard in the castle library and some of the music and visual effects in the castle), but from the illogical elements (how could anyone hang your thief friend incredibly high in the rafters like that toward the start?) to the uninspired-at-best physical architecture (why does Garrett feel like the platform area near the tomb entrance looks like the maw, and why were the jumps near the start of the section made so difficult?), clearly something is afoot with this mission. But now that Cat and R_T have spilled the beans on later parts of the fan mission, I have no real desire to find out.

Random_Taffer

Educated
On the contrary, I thought the bird thing was hilarious. I actually laughed out loud when it exploded in mid air and I got the bonus objective.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
On the contrary, I thought the bird thing was hilarious. I actually laughed out loud when it exploded in mid air and I got the bonus objective.
Heh, I had no idea what you were talking about. Then while playing that mission I randomly decided to shoot an arrow at the annoying squawking thing flying around...

BTW, question for anyone knowledgeable: where can I find a good tutorial for DromEd?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Also, one final note because I suddenly remembered this and it bugs me: Terra uses the verb "elope" in the description for Garrett's post-mission objective in "The Eye of Gems: Shadow and Fog". While it's technically a proper verb to use to describe slipping away in the night, the common meaning of it is To run off with the express intention of getting married.

Basso and Jeneviere asked Garrett to help them elope in the OM "Running Interference"; that this FM has Garrett eloping with the three gems suggests that Garrett has a very strange opinion on the Sanctity of Marriage...

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I'm trying to find a particular mission, if anyone happens to remember it. It's a Hammerite monastery and used lots of custom resources, particularly AI skins and voices, but what really stands out in my mind are the beautiful weapon skins it used. I don't remember much more than that, unfortunately. Hoping that's enough.

Edit: Found it! It was "Third Time's the Charm" from the Vertical Contest.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WHOWOULDWIN.jpg

Jazz_

Arcane
Can someone suggest some of the best Thief 2 fan made maps? I'm a complete virgin about them. I remember watching a video once of a map that was vertical as fuck, like Garrett climbing this massive and imposingly tall...abbey (?), seemed very cool, any idea what that map was?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom