Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RTS They Are Billions - steampunk/zombie RTS from Lords of Xulima dev

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by LESS T_T, May 31, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Dickiegender: ⚧ Arcane

Dickie
    Parrots:
    I picked up the beta, and I've played it for about 10 hours. I'm really confused by the people insisting this is a tower defense game. Even the survival mode feels very similar to any old RTS. It's not even like you just hole up in one spot and wait for the infected to come suicide on your defenses. You have to constantly be pushing your borders forward because you always need more space for buildings.

I tried it a few times on standard difficulty, but I decided to dial it back slightly by changing the number of days from 100 to 120. Once I did that, I was able to get to the final wave where the infected rolled over my defenses like the walls were made of toilet paper. Normally, when a horde is coming, you get a warning like "Giant horde approaching from the east," so you move all your guys over there and try to shore up the defenses in the 8 game-hours you have until they show up. The final horde comes from all directions and is so massive that it made the frame-rate go down.

I like how the infected will get more guys when they take out your buildings. Any workers or colonists in the building will become infected and join in on the fun. My first loss was caused by losing a house to a small horde. That spawned more guys and they took out a couple more houses, and so on, until I was just completely overwhelmed. Now, I keep my houses behind at least two rings of walls and defenses. Also, I keep any section of my base from being too large by building extra walls to just separate sections. The game is also a fun city-planner because you have to pack as many buildings as possible into every space, while still leaving enough room so your troops don't have to navigate a maze of buildings to move through your base.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    From what I've seen, letting just infected through your defenses means certain death - even if you manage to contain it somewhat, you are severely weakened and the attacks just get stronger, so...
    I'd like to play, too, but since there is no saving at the moment, I won't - I simply don't have the patience for ironman games.

^ Top  
  5. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    I don't think the game has a real point without ironman though

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Damned Registrationsgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Parrots:
    So apparently the version I bought is wallpaper only because they can't make enough CD keys. Top kek. You wouldn't download a number, would you?

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    How about the point not to lose hours of progress because of some mistake you made in the last 10-20 minutes by just reverting to a state before that mistake?
    It's not like you can save scum your way out of everything in an RTS like in some turn based games. In RTS games, you really only save when (you think that) your position is good.
    Besides, you might realize near the end that you made mistakes at the very beginning and have to restart anyway.

Of course, you could re-attempt the whole thing again and again and again until you finally do everything right in one go.
    But what person with an actual life and/or desire to play more than one game in their evening has time for that?
    Such a thing is excusable in games like Dark Souls where one run at a level/boss takes maybe 10-20 minutes or so. Or games like FTL where the whole game takes maybe an hour to play through. But certainly not in RTS games where each mission can seemingly take many hours.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 9:52 PM
    ^ Top  
  8. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Sure, I'm not judging your preference but the whole game seems to be basically a survival game - try to survive as many days as possible. If you don't play that ironman it kind of loses the point for me I guess.
    There doesn't seem to be any "end content" or greater goal so far at least in the mode displayed in the EA

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Alienmangender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Is there no campaign/story mode?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Dickiegender: ⚧ Arcane

Dickie
    Parrots:
    Not yet. It's supposed to be added before the game goes to Steam Early Access.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Ah, yeah, now I get the confusion.
    From what I gather, in the beta right now there is only the one mission - but I don't think it is the endless mode, it might even be a mission specific for users of the beta to test as many systems as possible without spoilers, etc..
    In an endless mode, sure, ironman makes sense. But that's not what is there atm as far as I know.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    Does anyone know when this game is expected to be released as a complete product & preferably on Gog?

^ Top  
  13. MediantSamuelgender: ⚧ Erudite Patron

MediantSamuel
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Late-late 2018, maybe end of, I guess, if "late 2018 full steam launch" is anything to go by. :despair:

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    That's a huge shame. I happened upon a let's play of this last night, having completely forgotten about its existence. The let's player was appallingly bad, but the game looked like a lot of fun, as sort of RTS/TD hybrid with a lot going for it. I wanted to play it immediately. So I went to their website and all it said was Beta/Steam :( Oh well, something to look forward to for 2019 I guess.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ezeekielgender: ⚧ Learned

Ezeekiel
    Parrots:
    I broke down and got the beta. At first it seems like it has a lot of potential, but after you figure out a strategy to beat the maps you realize there is very little to it (map generation is the only thing that can fuck with you then) and every map is the same thing all over again with maybe a restriction or some such added (more expensive buildings, more aggressive zombies, more open areas with less chokepoints which is actually good so you can place more defenses...).

If the planned campaign doesn't deliver then I can't imagine people playing this for more than a few days or whatever, tops. Just no reason to keep playing. It's more like a phone game right now in terms of depth and presentation etc, minus the grind.

Fun for a very short time, but hm. Looking questionable imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Ezeekielgender: ⚧ Learned

Ezeekiel
    Parrots:
    There is no endless mode planned or did they change that?
    Just timed survival with a big final wave from all sides at the end, and a campaign.

There is more than one mission in the beta, 4 in total unless I missed something. You unlock them by winning the respective previous map at 100 or more percent difficulty. 130 is probably the easiest combination (more time is the important part).

^ Top  
  17. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    I don't know if an endless mode is planned. It would make sense to have one with a game like that.

^ Top  
  18. Ezeekielgender: ⚧ Learned

Ezeekiel
    Parrots:
    At first I thought that, too, and was disappointed that there was no mention of endless... But after playing it, I'm not sure endless could really offer anything tbh. The game is just not designed right for that sort of thing yet.

^ Top  
  19. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Can't developers thing in perspective?! This game will be a flop from the looks of it. Just the most popular shit there is,that there is tons of games like. I am surprised that it is not also a pixel platformer.

• retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)