Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Thesiad - C&C RPG made in GMS 2 (demo available)

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by Agesilaus, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again Agesilausgender: ⚧ Arcane

Agesilaus
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    https://classics.itch.io/thesiad

Thesiad is a relatively simple 2d RPG that focuses on two things above all else:

1. Presenting the story of Theseus in a way that is faithful to the primary source texts.
    2. Allowing the player to make meaningful decisions and change the path he takes through that world.

The gameplay currently consists of three parts:

1. Overworld: Wander around town talking to people.
    2. Events: CYOA style text with a picture.
    3. Battle: Small scale fights. Old versions had an incomplete tb system; I scrapped everything and made a simple rt system. I may scrap it all over again and try something new, who knows, but right now it serves its purpose.

In future versions, I plan to expand the "Events" part to include minigames (perhaps a "pinesweeper" game when you hunt down Sinis, for example). The battle system will also grow to include more weapons/abilities and different types of enemies (unless I scrap the whole thing again and change it to something else). All of the pixel art needs to be replaced entirely, as right now it's just rubbish I whipped up quickly.

Pictures:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    Main menu

[​IMG]
    Overworld map.

[​IMG]
    Battle scene. Murdering a girl who is cowering in the corner. Because that's what heroes do, right?

[​IMG]
    Theseus and Connidas go out to hunt, never return. The rest is history.

Link to demo:
    https://classics.itch.io/thesiad
    http://keksociety.com/Theseus/Thesiad.zip
    http://www.filedropper.com/thesiad

Instructions:

WASDF to move on overworld map and in battle.
    12345 to select dialogue choices in overworld map if you don't like the mouse.
    Esc to open menu/inventory in overworld map and in battle.
    Left mouse button to use first selected attack, right mouse button to use second selected attack.

You have 3 time units to spend in Troezen. When you run out of time, you leave for Epidauros.

Special thanks to the noble people of shoutbox who tested the last version back in August and gave a tonne of helpful feedback. Thanks to all the people who made GMS2 tutorials and examples of code, etc. I'll make a credits scene in the game at some point before the next release.

If you decide to play the demo, please take a moment to give some feedback. Let me know what you like, what you disliked, if you encountered bugs, what you want in a future version, etc.

Assuming people think it's worthwhile, I would like to complete another 2 overworld locations and then a somewhat lengthy CYOA event for Theseus' arrival at Athens. Then, I want to sell it for 5 to 10 dollars a piece so I can roll around in piles of money and get one of those developer tags under my username.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    You should get rid of the typewritery sound when dialogues appear. It's misplaced and distracting.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Wayward Songender: ⚧ Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    Parrots:
    Congrats on making it to this point. Would love an RPG set in Ancient Greece or pseudo-Greece. Hope for a release soon my man. :salute:

^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Agesilausgender: ⚧ Arcane

Agesilaus
    Parrots:
    Do you want a different type of sound, or just silence as it types out?

I will try to make an options menu so the player can turn the sound off, and if everyone dislikes it I'll default it to off.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    I don't think any sound is necessary, tbh.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Agesilausgender: ⚧ Arcane

Agesilaus
    Parrots:
    Uploaded to itch.io: https://classics.itch.io/thesiad

Any other big Indie sites people like to use? When it's completed I'd like to put it on platforms like Steam if at all possible (don't know if they'd be interested).

^ Top  
  7. Wayward Songender: ⚧ Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    Parrots:
    GitHub.
    GOG maybe?
    Steam, if you're willing to pay the Steam direct fee.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Agesilausgender: ⚧ Arcane

Agesilaus
    Parrots:
    Hmm, I hadn't thought of GitHub, thanks.

In terms of GOG and Steam, I'd like to hold off on them until I actually have a finished product and have revisited my graphics. At some point I plan to update all the pixel art currently in the game, it's just a question of whether it will be me making a more serious effort, or whether I can find someone more competent to lend a helping hand (willing to pay for the service, of course).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. CryptRatgender: ⚧ Arcane

CryptRat
    Parrots:
    Game Jolt is another option.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again Agesilausgender: ⚧ Arcane

Agesilaus
    Parrots:
    Got some strong negative/honest feedback on the graphics, quality of the writing, and amateur feel of the game. I knew the graphics were terrible, but was hopeful the writing and mechanics were passable.

More work to be done!
    :dealwithit:

^ Top  
  11. Mortmalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    Baking bread, making pies is cool too if you have so much time to spare and cant find a career.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jazz_gender: ⚧ Erudite

Jazz_
    Parrots:
    Killed by boars and posthumously sung as the inventor of pederasty. :lol:

I would work on the presentation a bit first and foremost, the writing is fine, enjoyed the few scenarios I went thru.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Agesilausgender: ⚧ Arcane

Agesilaus
    Parrots:
    I have a career and am full-time employed, but would rather just read the Classics and work on games with ancient Greek and Chinese themes. I'll keep at it and see if I can improve the base mechanics while finishing up the last two locations. If it's still sub-par, hopefully I will have learnt enough to do a better job of the next.

Also, baking bread and making pies won't get me a coveted developer badge.

Presentation is at the top of the list it seems, thanks. Mortmal said the same thing in another thread, and it was my wife's first reaction, too. I have a udemy course on pixel art and will start there for graphics. Maybe I need to kidnap an artistic college kid to help out at some point.

EDIT: 4chan agrees, too, on the presentation point. Current plan is to finish up the story then as planned in a couple/few months, and then spend at least that much time replacing the graphics and improving the underlying mechanics.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tavernkinggender: ⚧ Educated

Tavernking
    Parrots:
    Aha I knew I had seen this game somewhere! I'll give a playtest when I get home from work.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Tavernkinggender: ⚧ Educated

Tavernking
    Parrots:
    The AI was shit, I didn't feel like I was facing 'a family of enraged beasts', they looked like they were peacefully grazing the grass. You'ld be better offditching the real time combat and making it turn based anyway. It feels like a shitty arcade game and this 'cheapened' the gameplay.

Nobody in the village cared that Connidas died and I had no way to tell them. It was clear this game is heavily inspired by Age of Decadence, perhaps too much. I was also upset that there was no way to save Connidas, giving multiple outcomes to quests that effect the game later on really brings depth to an RPG.

The writing was good. The Ancient Greece theme is also good, its not a time often explored by games. But don't use single word dialogue options. For example when in the temple of Zeus, I didn't know if Duties referred to his duties or any duties I have to him before clicking the button.

There is also a bug whereby I got myself stuck by falling out of the south side of the map.

But, ultimately I have to admit I was dissatisfied that the game ended so abruptly, I was excited to keep on playing to see what would happen next.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Agesilausgender: ⚧ Arcane

Agesilaus
    Parrots:
    Thanks, that's a lot of good feedback.

I agree now that the action-combat cheapens the experience. I'm really having trouble figuring out a good, non-complicated battle system, though. I think I will just delete the current system, that being the second system now that I've wholly abandoned, and try creating a simple side-perspective jrpg style combat scene. I found some tutorials that should be helpful.

If people generally hate that style of combat (I'm not really a big fan of it), then I'll just go back to the original system (the top-down grid combat) and try to make it actually fun/challenging.

It's also interesting that you point out there's no way to save Connidas. I think I made it that way because I didn't intend to have any party-based mechanics. Maybe having party-members will add a much needed dimension to the combat, though, so I'll make a note to have Connidas be the first recruitable character.

Making the overworld dialogue choices be more than one word is easy enough. Making the overworld dialogue update depending on events is a lot more time consuming. Still, I think you're right, it's a little weird that your tutor dies and you can't tell anybody.

Thanks again, glad to hear the writing quality is acceptable and the story interesting. Everytime I load GMS up I seem to tinker with the writing, so it will probably be a little different in the next iteration, but nothing too radical.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)