Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thermidor: New Tactical JRPG of Epic Proportions!

Hyperion

Arcane
Using character models instead of portraits during dialogue sequences is extremely awkward and really showcases the ugliness of the models. Graphics are obviously not a huge deal, but just something that instantly struck me. Think it would still be better if inconsequential NPCs spoke with no model at all.

Will a speed stat actually be a consequence or are we going to take the shitty and boring route of Fire Emblem and make ally / enemy turns?
Being that this is set during the French Revolution can it safe to say that there will be no magic of any kind. or will it be loaded with mysticism?
Is this set during The French Revolution, or the aftermath, The Reign of Terror? You mentioned the former, but the name of the game suggests the latter.
Being that it's a historical setting, will we be able to expect Otaku-cized historical figures? Will we see the execution of Marie Antoinette? Will Maximilien Robespierre be beheading people left and right in all of his bloody, paranoid glory?
Environmental interaction? Maybe barrels of gunpowder we can detonate with a flaming arrow? Knock over some crumbling walls onto soldiers? Cannon fire to destroy blockades?
How many characters defines "small squad?" FFT-style of 4 or 5 depending on guests? 10 like Tactics Ogre and Disgaea? Everyone available like some Fire Emblems?
Stage-by-stage progression with cutscenes and the occasional ability to shop? Or will we have a world map or some cities that can be traversed and explored between stages? Please tell me it's the latter. If it's the French Revolution, will we see a war-torn Versailles, or will it be some childish, romanticized version in the eyes of a lazy 17 year old prick?

...Or will this just be a generic SRPG set in France where we for some reason fight British Soldiers? I'm no Historian, but didn't the French army wear mostly blue and white with far less red than England?

HyperdevRon

Literate
Small squad tactical battle eh~ What's your biggest (planned) battle? 10? 15? 20?
This is still something we are going to work on, but if you want to know about the total number of characters on screen, player and enemy, the biggest will probably be more than 20.
For the player party, we are planning on having no more than 10 at once ^^

HyperdevRon

Literate
Using character models instead of portraits during dialogue sequences is extremely awkward and really showcases the ugliness of the models. Graphics are obviously not a huge deal, but just something that instantly struck me. Think it would still be better if inconsequential NPCs spoke with no model at all.

Will a speed stat actually be a consequence or are we going to take the shitty and boring route of Fire Emblem and make ally / enemy turns?
Being that this is set during the French Revolution can it safe to say that there will be no magic of any kind. or will it be loaded with mysticism?
Is this set during The French Revolution, or the aftermath, The Reign of Terror? You mentioned the former, but the name of the game suggests the latter.
Being that it's a historical setting, will we be able to expect Otaku-cized historical figures? Will we see the execution of Marie Antoinette? Will Maximilien Robespierre be beheading people left and right in all of his bloody, paranoid glory?
Environmental interaction? Maybe barrels of gunpowder we can detonate with a flaming arrow? Knock over some crumbling walls onto soldiers? Cannon fire to destroy blockades?
How many characters defines "small squad?" FFT-style of 4 or 5 depending on guests? 10 like Tactics Ogre and Disgaea? Everyone available like some Fire Emblems?
Stage-by-stage progression with cutscenes and the occasional ability to shop? Or will we have a world map or some cities that can be traversed and explored between stages? Please tell me it's the latter. If it's the French Revolution, will we see a war-torn Versailles, or will it be some childish, romanticized version in the eyes of a lazy 17 year old prick?

...Or will this just be a generic SRPG set in France where we for some reason fight British Soldiers? I'm no Historian, but didn't the French army wear mostly blue and white with far less red than England?

Thank you for your comment and questions.
In general, all the details about the game will be disclosed when the campaign launches, and as the game develops.
As you know, this is a game under early development, and we still cannot give 100% details about it.
But I'll try to answer your questions as much as I can.

"Will a speed stat actually be a consequence?"
Yes! the speed stat will have a direct influence on many aspects of the game play, for example, it will have an influence on how much "action" you can do per turn (AP), on the order of play of each of your squad's members, and on the ability to avoid a "combo breaker" by the enemy.
We are developing a system that is related to the path choice of a player, so many of these skills and points are all part of this system. But we can't really go in to too much details at the moment.

"Is it safe to say that there will be no magic of any kind?"
In general, we aren't planning on having any fantasy/magic per-say, but there will be some religious figures in the game that might have some "spiritual" powers, and a secret society with some "alchemist" type powers.
It also greatly depends on the game scenario, which is still being written as we speak.
There is still a big part of the game that we do not know yet!

"Is this set during The French Revolution?"
Yes, it is set at the beginning of the French Revolution in the year 1789, BEFORE The Reign of Terror.
There will be some historical figures. No execution of of Marie Antoinette, and no beheading ^^

"Environmental interaction?"
Yes, that is definitely something we are looking to implement in the game!

"How many characters defines "small squad?"
I am quoting my own reply to a different comment: This is still something we are going to work on, but if you want to know about the total number of characters on screen, player and enemy, the biggest will probably be more than 20.
For the player party, we are planning on having no more than 10 at once ^^

"Stage-by-stage progression with cutscenes and the occasional ability to shop?"
Yes, obviously, It will include a stage by stage, as there is a storyline to follow. But there will also be a world map of Paris and its surroundings.

HyperdevRon

Literate
By the way, we are giving away a framed picture of one of Thermidor's characters, signed by the staff!

Leandre-Print-A3-2000-1030x773.jpg

All you have to do is participate in our daily quizzes about the game's characters, and try to get the most correct answers!
Most of the quizzes are pretty easy, but some are for the more sharp eyed geeks out there ^^

You can find them here:
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
HyperDevbox website

Mustawd

Does indiegogo still fund even if you don't meet the goal? If so, then I'm not interested, but if they adopted a kickstarter-like setup then I'll back.

HyperdevRon

Literate
Indiegogo gives two options - a fixed goal, and a flexible goal. We went for the fixed goal, which means that if we don't reach our goal, all the backers get refunded and we pay nothing.

HyperdevRon

Literate
But also get nothing...
Which is good, because our goal is a carefully calculated amount, that is needed to complete the game.

Severian Silk

Thermidor: 1789 - The Beginning

The beginning of what?

Also, graphics are nice, but combat mechanics are probably too basic to appeal. I didn't like FFT that much and never finished it. I tried hard to finish, but just got sick of it.

HyperdevRon

Literate
Thermidor: 1789 - The Beginning

The beginning of what?

Also, graphics are nice, but combat mechanics are probably too basic to appeal. I didn't like FFT that much and never finished it. I tried hard to finish, but just got sick of it.

Of the French Revolution! And also we are hoping to make it a series, if the game is somewhat successful.
:greatjob:
This game is still in very early stages of development, and we are working hard to make the combat mechanics good and fun to play.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think the drawings look ok (I'd prefer them in dialogues over the 3D models), but too bad that you play on the wrong side.

There seem to be some interesting ideas, but I think the goal is a bit high, but at least the team is honest about it.

HyperdevRon

Literate
I think the drawings look ok (I'd prefer them in dialogues over the 3D models), but too bad that you play on the wrong side.

There seem to be some interesting ideas, but I think the goal is a bit high, but at least the team is honest about it.

Thank you for your comments.
Yes, we are well aware of the difficulties in achieving this goal, but with some patience and persistence we will eventually be able to complete this game ^^

Regarding the dialogues, we are still creating the game, and you never know, we might change it!

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I hate Gaijins.

They are filthy subhumans who wish to mar the purity of the AZN female with their sick lusts.

Go back to Europe, chimpanzees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom