Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worlds of Magic Thread - It's out... sorta

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So what was the idea behind "Planar Conquest"? Salvage assets from WoM and create a game "unburdened" by promises / expectations of MoM? Also mobile first, so they were even freer in their design because of a different audience?

mastroego

Arcane
Planar Conquest is about to be released, in like 3-4 days.
It's already appeared on my Steam Library.

I'm hearing good to pretty good things about it. People seem to like it for real, this time.
Heaven knows I've been patiently waiting!

DakaSha II

Prospernaut

Care to elaborate? I was cautiously looking forward to Planar Conquest, until I realized that it was by the same devs as WoM, after which my caution turned to scepticism.

Find a screenshot of the map. That alone should turn you off. Its literally 100% randomly placed FUGLY fucking tiles. The game in general is extremely uninspired and amateurish.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Care to elaborate? I was cautiously looking forward to Planar Conquest, until I realized that it was by the same devs as WoM, after which my caution turned to scepticism.

Find a screenshot of the map. That alone should turn you off. Its literally 100% randomly placed FUGLY fucking tiles. The game in general is extremely uninspired and amateurish.

I just looked at a video of the game and for some reason the screens on the Steam page made the game look a lot better than what it looked like in the video. The UI looked like a righteous mess as well and the player of said video was constantly struggling with it. I've no interest in wrestling with a games UI.

mastroego

Arcane
Well I just got it for free and I'm not complaining.
Downloading it right now, though probably won't have time to play it until the week-end.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Downloading it right now, though probably won't have time to play it until the week-end.

They give it to you for free if you own WoM? P. good.

Post some info when you start it up I'm quite interested about this. If it crashes and burns again back to Warlock 2 with the Rennaisance Mod I go.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Post some info when you start it up I'm quite interested about this. If it crashes and burns again back to Warlock 2 with the Rennaisance Mod I go.
Get it for free and decide yourself.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I don't steal games, let alone from struggling indie devs.
It is not called stealing but copying :)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I don't steal games, let alone from struggling indie devs.
I'd give you a hint. If you wanna support small developers, do it directly. (And money isn't always what they need.) (I for example would really appreciate when someone would sue certain government officials in time 20 years ago. It would save me a lot of trouble now.)

I found it somehow strange that yours first thought was copying it and don't pay at all. Nothing prevents you to pay few days later after you finish it. Or gosh, wait for sale/humble bundle then pay.

BTW 20 years ago, getting it for free meant borrowing it from friend...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I found it somehow strange that yours first thought was copying it and don't pay at all. Nothing prevents you to pay few days later after you finish it. Or gosh, wait for sale/humble bundle then pay.

Which makes me wonder - how many times have you done that? Torrenting a game, finishing it and then paying for it a few days later, making a direct payment to the devs presumably?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Which makes me wonder - how many times have you done that? Torrenting a game, finishing it and then paying for it a few days later, making a direct payment to the devs presumably?
I pirated Xcom EU, then EW and then bought the whole package 75% off few years later :D
If pirating was not possible I doubt I would have bought it at full price anyways and maybe not ever since I would have been playing other cheaper games anyways and never even looking at those expensive ones.

DakaSha II

Prospernaut

I got Warlock 2 + All DLC off of G2A just to try this mod. Better not let me down.
Is the ai actually better? (or more competitive at least). That was always my main issue with buying the game (well and the fact that i already bought it, when i bought warlock 1)

mastroego

Arcane

I got Warlock 2 + All DLC off of G2A just to try this mod. Better not let me down.
Is the ai actually better? (or more competitive at least). That was always my main issue with buying the game (well and the fact that i already bought it, when i bought warlock 1)
My friend, as I said, I haven't played it yet.
I've read from several users that the AI provides a greater challenge and doesn't seem braindead. Can't tell you more for now.

I've only fired the game out of curiosity... mostly I approve of the presentation changes BUT, I'm going to miss the city screen - which, if I'm not mistaken, is no more (you get a panel with all kinds of info, but I can't see the traditional window where you can actually see your buildings being placed. Ok, it's just cosmetics, but IF it's really gone I'm going to really, really miss it...).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

AI got some serious overhaul and it is better now. But don't expect brilliance, I've never played a 4X game where I felt the AI wasn't retarded, at least on the strategic level. Warlock AI was always suprisingly good tactically though, in combat and unit movement, definitely much better than the derpy AI in Civ5. For me that was always one of the main draws of the games.

The mod is quite incredible in general, it seems as if it took a lot more work than the game itself. No idea how good is Planar Conquest but up until now Warlock 2 with the Ren. Mod was the closest thing to MoM.

DakaSha II

Prospernaut

My friend, as I said, I haven't played it yet.
I've read from several users that the AI provides a greater challenge and doesn't seem braindead. Can't tell you more for now.

I've only fired the game out of curiosity... mostly I approve of the presentation changes BUT, I'm going to miss the city screen - which, if I'm not mistaken, is no more (you get a panel with all kinds of info, but I can't see the traditional window where you can actually see your buildings being placed. Ok, it's just cosmetics, but IF it's really gone I'm going to really, really miss it...).
no part of me understands why you think im addressing you with that post.

planar conquest is utter shit. i dont need an opinion.

DakaSha II

Prospernaut

AI got some serious overhaul and it is better now. But don't expect brilliance, I've never played a 4X game where I felt the AI wasn't retarded, at least on the strategic level. Warlock AI was always suprisingly good tactically though, in combat and unit movement, definitely much better than the derpy AI in Civ5. For me that was always one of the main draws of the games.

The mod is quite incredible in general, it seems as if it took a lot more work than the game itself. No idea how good is Planar Conquest but up until now Warlock 2 with the Ren. Mod was the closest thing to MoM.
what difficulty do you play on? I went straight to impossible since impossible meant piss easy in warlock 1, but this doesnt seem super easy at first glance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom