Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worlds of Magic Thread - It's out... sorta

mastroego

Arcane
So I've tried playing again, at last, the latest patch being released.

It's a game, finally.
With warts, flaws, rough spots all around, but it's a game.
It's come a long way indeed.

The MAJOR flaws are still the ones we knew.

The UI - ouch!
Good heavens, handling units in this game is BY FAR the most infuriating gaming experience ever.
Seriously guys, what were you even thinking?
It's the stuff of nightmares.

Roaming monsters.
Well, and this is the most frustrating gaming experience ever.
Keep in mind, I'm playing at the easiest setting, to familiarize with the UI (this takes some doing, believe me), the spells, the features and all.
STILL I'm getting reamed by the Neutrals all the time.
Seriously, what the heck?
I remember people complaining about this since the beginning.
Did you actually want this game to fail?
How hard it is to reduce the roamers to SANE levels?
I'm talking ENDLESS SWARMS of neutrals here, they literally give you NO PAUSE, and it's not fair at all especially since, well, how am I supposed to defend against Flying Units early game, when I can't properly attack them (only counter-attack them or use bows), and I can't reach them in time while they pillage my lands since they move twice as fast?
Seriously, it's insane. Can't I have a relaxed game to learn, at least at the easiest setting?
Ok, I'm sure there are viable strategies, but do you actually want me to learn before I throw the game out of the window (figuratively speaking)?

What works is that it's still the most MoM-ish game around, and it works wonders when it works.
I've played for hours and hours, forgetting to eat and use the restroom, until an Epic-Level wandering monster, orders of magnitude stronger than anything I could handle, finally appeared and started to wreck everything in my kingdom (...)

Last edited:

Incantatar

Cipher
So even after that many patches it's still not a better MoM than MoM. I'm coming back next year to have another look then. Hope never dies.

mastroego

Arcane
Well I've been playing some more.

Once I switched to "RTS style" for the mouse things went A LOT smoother.
Yes I understand the MoM setting but 20 years have passed. Literally I have no single atom in me that I did back then.
RTS style should have been the default setting, a lot of headaches would have been avoided.
Anyway. I've also improved my handling of roamers. To some extent, they can even be ignored. Also palisades help!

Honestly it's starting to look solid.
I believe ATM Codexers may/should give this game a fair chance. ;)

Monocause

Arcane
How is it stability/blocking-issue wise? Considering a purchase but won't if it still crashes/softlocks when you sneeze. Or use a specific unit. Or use a specific ability.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I still can't play the game, as it freezes during combat. It has slightly improved in that I can now actually begin combat, but once I move the first unit, the game freezes. Every time.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I wonder what's up on my part then. Tried on two different computers, same bug. And I've been able to play the game previously without this bug.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I still can't play the game, as it freezes during combat. It has slightly improved in that I can now actually begin combat, but once I move the first unit, the game freezes. Every time.
can you use ESC to pull up the menu?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes. That I can. Which means I can autoresolve the battle. I'll try to keep this game going, see if the same freeze occurs once I've built som more units.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Summoned a magic spirit, attacked the same guards. This time around, I am unable to call up the menu. Game stops responding. Graphic keeps playing in the background, but I cannot click end turn, cannot call up the menu. Can only alt-tab out of the game and force-close it.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
One of the eXplorminate guys did full playthrough and he pretty much enjoyed it, so it can't be that bad. Altough, you need to remember that guys who are developing this pretty much suck at bug fixing, so you can play the build that is totally fucked up, or one that is playable without any problems.
I'll quote that guy little review:
The game definitely has replay value. With 7 planes and 8 races, how could it not? :D My main thoughts are this: Worlds of Magic is a great reinterpretation of the 1994 classic Master of Magic game. It absolutely captures the feel of that old school title. The design hits the mark. The biggest problems with the game, though, are with the unreliable developer. Wastelands Interactive has been terrible at communicating with the fans and has introduced numerous broken builds since the game launched. There were several weeks during this series that I couldn't even load up the game it had so many bugs. I'm lucky I got to finish it. At the moment, the current build (1.2.6) seems pretty good. But I don't have all the much confidence that WI won't break the game with the next patch. I hope they continue to improve it. They have a roadmap for improving it. I just can't say with any degree of certainty that they'll be able to carry out their improvements in a methodical and professional way. I really want them to, though. I really enjoy playing the game a whole lot! :)

Keep in mind it's his opinion, not mine. I don't have the balls to try another "lottery" game.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
I thought the micromanagement was taking too long so I wrote an AHK PMC script. Its currently configured for a 1366x768 resolution and wont work in any other.
DL LinkNeeds Pullovers Macro Creator to run. Road builders only need a direction, new units auto fortify, auto food balancer and auto skip combat turn. Currently can add al available buildings with one hotkey press but i will add a few more specific macros.

covr

Prophet
Patron
hoverdog how is the development of console version going? Many players are still waiting for that relaunch, I've got something like 2 hours played overall because I am waiting for that enhanced version.

Monocause

Arcane
Seen WoM quite cheap (5 and a half quid) in an electronics shop nearby and couldn't resist. Gonna give it a try the way it is now but will probably hold off with playing it for reals until the rerelease.

Forkrul

Novice
Seen WoM quite cheap (5 and a half quid) in an electronics shop nearby and couldn't resist. Gonna give it a try the way it is now but will probably hold off with playing it for reals until the rerelease.
when is the rerelease?

covr

Prophet
Patron
Better wait, bro. Game has many small issues that make WoM almost unplayable. Release should be somewhere in the first quarter of next year.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I looked a little bit, but I couldn't find much details. Are they planning to fix the insane number of cities?

covr

Prophet
Patron
I suppose they think that they've fixed this already. It requires change in the mechanics of the game, adding new feature like unrest caused by the large number of settlements, etc. Doubtfully it's going to happen. They should fix issue causing half of the text in game so small, that it is impossible to read. It seems that this bug appears on most of the machines and is present after... about 2 months. Shameful.

Monocause

Arcane
covr said:
Better wait, bro. Game has many small issues that make WoM almost unplayable. Release should be somewhere in the first quarter of next year.

Yeah. First experience with the game: allows me to choose a 4:3 resolution but doesn't actually support it. Large parts of the UI cropped out. I'll just wait :)

dehimos

Augur

mastroego

Arcane
Yes, and reviews are pretty good.
It's being ported back to PC and it's going to be free for Worlds of Magic owners.

DakaSha II

Prospernaut
Do not buy android/ios port. its shit. its fucking god damn garbage. holy shit is it poopooo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom