Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, try to give everyone high strength. Doesn't have to be max, but the more, the less loot-carry problems later. Aside of that, intelligence is next-important; it affects how many spellpoints you get. Third-important is vitality, as it affects HP and carry-capacity, in a minor way.

Having the area-of-effect spell wizards have high speed is a good idea; same for the bard. But it's not a must, so don't worry too much. Having a priest with LOW speed is also good.

On a note, I'm getting used to Expert difficulty now. Giant Rats are still a lot of rape, but you can sell the Ankh of Ressurection to Quequeg and buy armor and healing potions from that, which helps.

Ammar

Scholar
Note that starting as a fighter, thief and/or lizardman permanently gimps your mp rate somewhat. That's why I sort of prefer Valkyries to Fighters at the beginning. Makes things slightly tougher for a few levels. I'd also consider starting spellcasters with very high vitality, seemingly it increases MP rate instead of piety or intelligence. The Cosmic Forge Editor can also give you those hidden stats like hit rate and MP regen.

Taking a bard also makes things much easier in the beginning, due to unlimited sleep spells. Also lets the mage build up points in the important Fire/Water schools earlier, because he does not have to take sleep.

IIRC I started my last playthrough with Fighter, Valkyrie, Thief, Priest, Bard and Mage.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm, for my "get used to expert" 6-7 playthrough right now, using a Lizardman Samurai who ignores magic (even without Samurai simply get the most attacks/round and highest to-hit), a Rawful Lord (Lords suck, but I want to have one anyway; take a Valkyrie instead), a Fairy Ninja, a female Human Bard, a Gnome Priest and a Elf Wizard. Everyone will get Hide and Critical Strike, just to see how much easier the 6 and 7 will be compared to my first time through, where I didn't use either on everyone, but instead just focused on taking single classes that never changed. Playing on Expert, and it's getting quite easy now that I trained to level 4 in the first floor of the castle and built up some weapon skills.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Jasede, you need a gadgeteer in your party. You can't finish the game without one. That's why the title of the game is Wizardry 6: The Gadgeteer's Tale.

Gone through, level 6 I think, and am about to head to the bell tower to fight me some bats and get the rope. I haven't had to use resurrection yet, but I do have like 3 potions and a scroll for it if I did. My Ninja is pretty bad with spells currently, my Monk is better with them.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I usually ignore spells with hybrid and elite classes, shame on me.

Also, correction: Piety does NOT affect mana regeneration rate in 6 due to a bug. Vitality does.

Here:

Fairy = +1 mana regen
Lizardman = -1 mana regen
18 VIT = +1 mana regen

The rate itself depends on the class. The fastest are wizards and priests.

The mana regen thing for vitality is fixed in Wiz 7, so there it is piety again; 16 PIE for +1 mana regen.

Here's what I recall from what stats do in Wiz 6:

16 STR = +1 damage
18 STR = +2 damage

16 VIT = +1 HP for all rolls
18 VIT = +2 HP for all rolls, +1 mana regen

16 SPE = -1 AC,
18 SPE = -2 AC, +1 swing at higher levels

16 DEX = +1 to hit
18 DEX = +2 to hit, +1 attack/round at higher levels

The class that will hit most often, no matter what, is the Samurai. Ninja and Monks get better AC as they level up, making them the very best tanks at very high levels.

Ninjutsu gives a bonus to AC apart of letting you hide.
Kirijutsu, Legerdemain and all magic base skills will never increase through practice; only through level ups.

Do not start the game without having someone with Skullduggery at 10; or if you do, do not force or pick any doors until you have someone with Skullduggery 10, the amount needed to open the most basic locks. At such low levels, 1 successfully picked door will give a permanent +1 to Skullduggery, so practice it often.

Jasede said:
I usually ignore spells with hybrid and elite classes, shame on me.
Might be for the best, because it takes awhile for them to do anything with spells well.

Also for people who don't know what the different skills do and such, the manual for Bane of the Cosmic Forge is available online in a pdf file. I saved it to my computer myself.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Well, Samurai and Ninja and any hybrid can become really, really deadly spell-casters if you manage to hybridize well and focus on both evenly, but that is VERY hard in Wizardry 6 and 7 without elaborate multiclassing. For example, having the future Samurai start out as a Wizard so he works a lot on Thaumaturgy, then multi-classing and focusing on Kirijutsu.

Exception: Wizardry 8. In Wizardry 8, focusing on both your hybrid's and elite's melee powers and his spell powers isn't all that difficult, and actually, very rewarding. It's possible in Wizardry 6 and 7 too without multiclassing but very tedious and not feasible on "Expert". Once you get going, the so-developed party-member can be pretty useful though. In my first Wizardry 6 playthrough, my Samurai's additional Fireball spells were a godsend.

But I don't really like to multi-class too much, even though it's very good. I can already tell I will have to "abuse" multiclassing to win on Expert mode; no way this is survivable without Ninjutsu on everyone.

The two (!) Stinking Corpses already were barely survivable rape; the Fat Rats + Killer Rats, the Captain's Crew and the Giant Serpent x 2 are still out of my league. The damn things attack 4 times a round, and two hits on any given member, or one on my Wizard, kill.

Jasede said:
the Fat Rats + Killer Rats, the Captain's Crew and the Giant Serpent x 2 are still out of my league. The damn things attack 4 times a round, and two hits on any given member, or one on my Wizard, kill.
I've had to make sure to invest in Sleep, Magic Missile, and Fireball which did a lot of help on those, although I think the Giant Serpant was unaffected by sleep.

Right now I'm trying to get through the mines to break open the crystal with the wizard in it, but being that it's practically a maze I get lost from time to time.

giantgnome

Scholar
Use blinding flash on the serpent. In the room where you can drop down and fight him over and over again I used this trick, followed by running up to the fountain in the king's room that replenishes hp and mp, to level up to 9 or 10.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
There's two serpents, and it's quite resistent against my blinding powder. I just powered through using backstabs and buffs; I also bought like 10 Hv. Heal Potions from Queequeg since I am sure I will need them on Expert.

The rats are next, but they still do kill someone at least once a round; I think it's time to level to level 7 in the Hazardous Area, and I kinda don't want to exploit the two Giant Serpents like that.

I shudder already at the thought of fighting 2 * Bela *... but the Cameo Locket is worth it, and I know a tiny little bug that will let me get both the Diamond Ring [7 of them, actually; 1 for Bela in 8, 2 for my Bard, 3 for the Glass Vitrines in 7. >_>] and the Locket.

Jasede said:
I think it's time to level to level 7 in the Hazardous Area
What level are you? Think you can handle the Hazardous Area where you're at?
I shudder already at the thought of fighting 2 * Bela *...
There's 2 on expert? I did hear that you'd have to fight the King and Rebecca if you went that route on expert. I've never played expert, nor notice that there was a higher difficulty.

I just killed my best good friend the Toll Troll. Hated him ever since I was a child, mostly because he's ugly looking and can kill you with his minions.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
The difference in Expert is that every stack of monsters has one more Hit Die (making them more resistant versus spells, and also, more good at afflicting your party with sleep and such). The other is that every stack has +1 enemies.

So when you fought 1 Giant Serpent you now meet two. Same for * Bela *, same for everything. It is VERY challenging. I was stuck trying to kill the Rotting Corpse in the Spade Tower for a while until I realized that without Air Pocket, I have no chance. (Each of the zombies would inflict 5-20 damage on everyone, and Nausea with a high chance, and there were two of them.).

I will now level my level 6 party to 7 in the Hazardous Area to have a chance at killing the Captain and the 2 Fat Rats + 7 Killer Rats + 7 Killer Rats.

Jasede said:
I will now level my level 6 party to 7 in the Hazardous Area to have a chance at killing the Captain and the 2 Fat Rats + 7 Killer Rats + 7 Killer Rats.
I hope your Kirijutsu is pretty high, even on normal I could only finally beat the giant twins because my monk got a critical hit killing one.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Oh god there's giant twins? I forgot.
Are they ONE stack of TWO [So I have to fight 3] or TWO stacks of one? The latter would mean I have to fight... 4.

Urgh. I both love and hate Expert already.

Jasede said:
Oh god there's giant twins? I forgot.
Are they ONE stack of TWO [So I have to fight 3] or TWO stacks of one? The latter would mean I have to fight... 4.
There's two stacks of one. They both have specific names.

Right now I'm up against Amen-Tut-Butt who enjoys raping me with a barrage of fire spells.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
WAAAAH

The only thing that'll make me survive is my ~40 Kirijutsu Samurai.

Jasede said:
Hopefully that can help. I've got my monk with kirijustu who isn't doing jack shit currently. And by not getting a high hit point mage, I screwed up, since currently against Amen-Tut-Butt she gets raped in basically one spell from him. I've come close to beating him twice, but always manage to have people die.

Ammar

Scholar
sportforredneck said:
Jasede said:
Hopefully that can help. I've got my monk with kirijustu who isn't doing jack shit currently. And by not getting a high hit point mage, I screwed up, since currently against Amen-Tut-Butt she gets raped in basically one spell from him. I've come close to beating him twice, but always manage to have people die.

Are you using Fireshield, Magic Screen and Antimagic?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Man, Ammar, thanks. I need to pick these spells myself; zero chance I will survive the 2 Amen without all three of them.

Ammar said:
Never got any of those, the most I have is a scroll for fireshield which doesn't really do a thing. I just try to get the least amount of people possible to fight, which so far is 3 pharaohs of fire, and Amen.

Ammar

Scholar
sportforredneck said:
Ammar said:
Never got any of those, the most I have is a scroll for fireshield which doesn't really do a thing. I just try to get the least amount of people possible to fight, which so far is 3 pharaohs of fire, and Amen.

Hmm, I think if you use a scroll the effect is based on your scribe skill. So it probably won't be as effective as you casting it. Perhaps grind a level so you can select at least one of those spells. You can also try getting lucky with Dispel Undead. Works some of the time at least.

Ammar said:
Hmm, I think if you use a scroll the effect is based on your scribe skill. So it probably won't be as effective as you casting it. Perhaps grind a level so you can select at least one of those spells. You can also try getting lucky with Dispel Undead. Works some of the time at least.
Actually it's alright, I just managed to win the fight without a death. 3 Pharaohs and Amen, mostly attacked Amen (my monk even used a fire bomb) except for a fireball by my mage on the 3, then the next turn I had everyone (except my ninja who used a cherry bomb on the last pharaoh) attack Amen, with my mage casting fireball on him. It was mostly luck, but I might as well have some after trying for awhile now.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Killed the Giant Brothers with little trouble - 2 Toll Trolls were harder -, entering the pyramid now. Everyone is level 9, everyone changed class once to pick up Ninjutsu and Kirijutsu, as they speed up battles.

Related:

930316_86169_front.jpg

Wizardry_X_2__Mugen_no_Gakuto_144144.jpg

what

It's pretty impossible to find information about the Japense Wizardry games.

snap5300.jpg

what

snap5301.jpg

snap5302.jpg

I'd play it.

I refuse to acknowledge the existance of Jap Wizardries. And I now want to kill myself after seeing cat ears on a Wizardry box, and goat people! Two bombs more, etc. etc. If only Sir-tech didn't go under....

I'm on the Isle of the Dead in the River Styx. I have to fight the Samurai part, but after attempting I figure I have to go level up first then come back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom