Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

I just started Wizardry 8 (never played any good dungeon crawlers before). Feels like a pretty good game, but I didn't really like having to re-start after noticing the auto-save actually saves when your party dies. The next time I was killed by damn highwaymen, now I'm killing some robots which aren't half as tough as highwaymen after I noticed that enemies don't follow you to the bottom of the ocean if need be like in, say, Elder Scrolls.

I have a felpurr samurai (this guy is pathetic), halfling rogue (and this guy is awesome!), elf bard, draconian ranger, human alchemist and a human psionist. I like the character customization tremendously, why something like this hasn't been in other modern games?

Binary

Liturgist
Change the psio. You will need the Bishop :P

Oh no Valkyrie or Samurai on Wiz6?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You could have my Faerie start as a Bard, then move to a ninja later in the game (That's what I did in my last playthrough).

Having a bard at the beginning of Wiz 6 makes the game way less... painful. :D

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It does, hence my whining. <_>
But I want a bard in 6, 7 AND 8, so that's not an option.

Relien

Scholar
Jasede said:
Now give me a week, because that's how long it takes to roll enough stats to make a Fairy Ninja in 6. I wish I were kidding.
Yeah, that's tedious. If things work the same as in W7 I'd suggest starting with Faerie-whatever, roll at least a decent attribute bonus and distributing it with the change to a ninja in mind. Then you can carefully save/reload on level-ups to become eligible for the change.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nope, I'll want to start with a Fairy Ninja, just so I can say I spent 4 hours rolling up stats.

[Urgh]

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Well, you could always use the cosmic forge editor to force high rolls by default although this is highly unethical of course.

I would volunteer as a bard btw. They can be good thieves too as far as locks are concerned.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Sounds like a good party. I keep meaning to play Wiz6, but something always stops me and I usually go play 8 again for a while instead.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Elf Bow doesn't hold a candle to the triple shot crossbow in Wizardry 8, at least for a ranger with high Ranged skill and high senses, dex, and speed. With those kind of stats and a triple shot crossbow, you often get 9 shots per round, and at least one of them tends to be an instant kill. A ranger with a triple shot crossbow is just broken by late game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I'd rather have a ~50% chance for my 1 attack than 20% for 3 attacks, even if it may not make sense.

Pussycat, great. The party is complete then.

1. Jarl, the Dwarven Fighter -> Lord
2. Lost, the Dwarven Fighter -> Monk
3. Jaesun, the Fairy Ninja
4. Pussycat, the Felpurr Bard
5. Binary, the Human Cleric->Bishop
6. Mystic, the Gnomish Psionicist

All right. If you want your races changed, tell me now. The only one who won't be changed anymore are Jarl and Jaesun. If there's no objections I will use the (sub-optima) races I listed here, just because I think they fit the names, and for Lost, a Dwarf Monk gets insane damage resistence in 8 which is nice to have.

Oh! And it would be nice if you can tell me what kind of "personality" you want to have. You can choose from

- Aggressive
- Chaotic
- Kindly
- Intellectual
- Cunning
- Laidback
- Burly
- Excentric
- Loner

and it will of course influence the whole LP I write. If you don't pick anything I'll just go with the most fitting, IE

1. Jarl, the Dwarven Fighter -> Lord | Burly or Aggressive or Chaotic
2. Lost, the Dwarven Fighter -> Monk | Laidback or Loner
3. Jaesun, the Fairy Ninja | Cunning
4. Pussycat, the Felpurr Bard | Kindly
5. Binary, the Human Cleric->Bishop | Intellectual
6. Mystic, the Gnomish Psionicist | Excentric

Texas Red

Whiner
Ok, Jasede, I drew a picture of Mystico the Magnificent.

fddfdf.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Looks good Jasede. Have fun rolling! That really sucked in DOSBox. I was able to get better karma rolls if you turn the speed down to around 500 or so. Maybe even lower.

Relien

Scholar
Jasede said:
Nope, I'll want to start with a Fairy Ninja, just so I can say I spent 4 hours rolling up stats.

[Urgh]
Ok, have fun then :twisted:

Regarding the gorrors - I heard the Beast of 1000 eyes is a bit easier on levels around 100 or so - your characters begin to resist Dazzling Lights quite easily while the beast will become more vulnerable to your attacks. But is it really possible to raise your party that high? Don't the exp requirements grow geometrically with a quotient of 2?

In a FAQ (yes, I've read a FAQ about those fuckers) I read that some guy managed to kill it with a level 50 party in 4 hours (!). Not counting the near infinite amount of reloading of course...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
If you train 4 hours that party would have been level ~80 and he'd just have resisted the Dazzling Lights...

Well, some people. I think the XP requirements start getting linear past ~40 or so. But don't quote me. I only played Wiz 6-8 once, and on Normal.

jaylittle

Scholar
Jasede said:
Hey it was Sunday.

Too bad I can't play it; I can't play this game without a party from 7.

And I can't play 7 without a party from 6.
I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering from this particular affliction. I can't play a game that is a sequel to another game that allows me to transfer characters without going back to the beginning. I can't just sit down one day and say, "I want to play Pools of Darkness". Oh no. I've then got to play Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds and then Secret of the Silver Blades before I can play Pools of Darkness. The same goes for Quest for Glory II and on crappy days even III. I've got to play through the previous games first because otherwise I feel like I'm missing out somehow. I've got to transfer my characters from the start all the way to the end. This particularly sucks with Pools of Darkness because there are a lot of classes that simply aren't available within Pool of Radiance. Ug.

Maybe one day I'll be able to break this vicious cycle. Probably not anytime soon though. Ever since this particular thread started, I've been thinking about giving Wizardry 6, 7 and 8 a shot. I've never played a one of them and just the fact that you can transfer your party is enough to get me interested.

Damn you all.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Damn, I wasn't aware that there was an expert setting for Wizardry 6. Can you still switch during mid-game? I abandoned my playthrough shortly after I escaped jail since my party was literally vaporized by a pack of samurais shortly thereafter. But I still got the urge to finish it. Is level 12 good enough to beat the endgame or is it more advisable for me to grind before meeting Rebecca?

P.S. Kindly sounds good to me.

Binary

Liturgist
Pussycat669 said:
Damn, I wasn't aware that there was an expert setting for Wizardry 6. Can you still switch during mid-game? I abandoned my playthrough shortly after I escaped jail since my party was literally vaporized by a pack of samurais shortly thereafter. But I still got the urge to finish it. Is level 12 good enough to beat the endgame or is it more advisable for me to grind before meeting Rebecca?

P.S. Kindly sounds good to me.

12 is not high enough for the prison imho, but I'd say it depends on who's in your party.

I'll load one of my savegames tonight and check

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
12 is most definitely not enough. The best place to grind is the Crypt; or if you like, fighting Charon over and over, though he doesn't drop any nifty loot.

Oh, by the way, since I'm playing Expert in the already mind-numbingly difficult 7 I -will- abuse multic-classing to give all of you Hide/Ninjutsu and Critical Kill and spells, but you'll still end up in your chosen classes. Honestly, I think 6 is more fun than 7. 7 is -big-. Imagine a game as big as 8, but about twice the scope. It's just so... engrossing. It's awesome and frightening. I love these sorts of games.

In the next years I'll finally play Lands of Lore, BaK, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master 1/2 to the finish. Started playing these quite often when younger, but never completed any. And all the Goldbox games too. I'll be a fun 2009 for me, when it comes to free time.

Binary

Liturgist
Yes the Crypt... I called it Prison by mistake.

It's not that 6 is more fun than 7, I find it hard to quantify them that way since they're _very_ different from each other: Wiz6 is a dungeon romp, Wiz7 is just a regular explorable RPG.

The thing is, the plot of Wizardry 6 is brilliant, especially from the part that leads to the multiple endings. Who remembers the story told by Mystaphaphas, the Wizard's apprentice?

TheLostOne

Savant
(edited after actually reading the last page of this thread. :roll: ) I hate Dwarves, J. I'll take a Mook or Hume if you don't mind. French aggressor or the scottish one would be cool, but laid back works too.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I've been rolling for 2 hours straight now for Jaesun, and the best I got was two 18s in 2 hours. I think a Fairy Ninja needs 21...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jasede said:
I've been rolling for 2 hours straight now for Jaesun, and the best I got was two 18s in 2 hours. I think a Fairy Ninja needs 21...

heh I tried and tried to get a better roll than 18, but I never did with my fairy ninja. I finally just gave up. :/

I think 18 would still work. 21 WOULD be nice.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
AHAHAH
I ROLLED 26

Not going to start the LP until September! Not enough time, plus, I need to get used to Expert difficulty; these things are kicking our asses.

Ammar

Scholar
So are you going to rely on fountains or not use the spellcasting capabilites of your characters which start out as fighters much? Just asking because of the whole MP Regen things in Wiz 6. Grats on the 26.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jasede said:
AHAHAH
I ROLLED 26

Not going to start the LP until September! Not enough time, plus, I need to get used to Expert difficulty; these things are kicking our asses.

haha sweet! I see you have been rewarded for your patience. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom